Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Richard Long's Waldorf restoration

Stereo is four stacks and some flying horns and 2405,s for support.. they got rid of two of the Berthas.. still running TAD TL-1603 in the scoops..

powered by LabGrupen amplifiers..

the booth monitors are nice sounding, some TAD 4001 with the TAD wood horn copy, not as nice as ones Ive seen built here, but the booth sounds amazing.. they have two TM-1201h underneath that wood horn

as for the other place... hey, there are some great ppl there, but I find this place more akin to a library and the other site like a pick up game of hockey

I have to go there soon. Curious as how they avoid bass cancellation if they run 4 stacks in corner. Or maybe they solved that problem by having 4 stacks on the same side firing in the same direction. BTW Somebody posted a picture of those nice monitors in the DJ booth.

Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Lee in Montreal View Post
    I am organizing a big indoor party this summer in Quebec City for 100 people, celebrating "Shoeclack déchainé" which was a punk/new wave bar that lasted from January 1980 to end of 1984. I'll bring my system and will probably rent some more on location. if there wasn't a racecar in my garage, I would store some PA equipment. ;-)
    You need another set of 4520s?
    mmmh let me think... punk/new wave... is this gonna break my speakers?
    My avatar: 4520 loaded with 2225H on E140 frames,
    1x 2202H on custom front loaded horn, 2x 2426 on 2370.

Quote Originally Posted by Eaulive View Post
    You need another set of 4520s?
    mmmh let me think... punk/new wave... is this gonna break my speakers?
    And lots of reggae, funk and 1980s industrial dance stuff...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLUIntu9Axo

There are the same problems as before, but way worse now that the space has been opened up, and two bass bins removed.. Incredible fatigue. Whatever dsp and filtering is going on, is badly programmed to say the least. I think they removed the bass cabs so that it was a more pleasant monitoring situation in the booth. Hell of a trade off and i dont go there anymore. My Urei 813b,s are from the original booth before 2002

Quote Originally Posted by Lee in Montreal View Post
    And lots of reggae, funk and 1980s industrial dance stuff...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLUIntu9Axo
    Not really my stuff for casual listening, but when you're in a dance club and the ambiance is good (and the sound is good and loud) it probably is a lot of fun.

Building Lee's version of the Waldforf

Hello all,

I'm the guy building the prototype of Lee's interpretation of the classic Waldorf scoop loudspeaker. I've never heard a Waldorf cabinet but I've been a long time fan of the old JBL 4520 and 4530 scoop loudspeakers. Lee was kind enough to share with me his drawings for a dual driver cabinet that was inspired by the classic Waldorf cabinets as designed by Richard Long so many years ago. I jumped at the chance to build a prototype and will most likely build a pair.

I started the project by scaling Lee's drawing to extract dimensions and angles for the cut pieces. I used AutoCAD's TrueView 2012 (available from the AutoCAD site for free) to do that. After making the cut list, I transferred the shape of critical parts to poster board for use as templates to make the cutting process easier and repeatable. Below is a PIC of the template for the 'driver bucket end caps'. Each cabinet requires three of them.

Name:  MVC-003S_20120219232817.JPG
Views: 2274
Size:  17.4 KB

I made them by ...

#1) Cut 3 pieces roughly to size and stacked them up and tacked them together for machining and easy handling using a brad gun.
    #2) I transferred the shape to the wood using the poster board template
    #3) I I rough cut the wood with a bandsaw to a shape that was a half inch larger than the finish part and then ...
    #4) Trimmed off that half inch using a table saw to get a clean edge and flat surface that was the finish size.

I cut the rectangle panels from full size sheets using my Festool plunge saw. What a great tool! It cuts as clean and accurate as a traditional cabinet saw but is portable and stores away on a shelf when not in use.

Name:  MVC-001S_20120219232815.JPG
Views: 2476
Size:  25.3 KB

The first assembly to go together was the driver bucket. This portion of the cabinet is the most difficult portion to build because it is made up of multiple angle cut pieces. Below is a PIC of the assembled driver bucket upside down and without the bottom board applied.

Name:  MVC-002S_20120219232816.JPG
Views: 2250
Size:  24.0 KB

Having proven myself stupid too many times, I've learned the hard way that it is always wise to dry fit the pieces before committing to 'glue & screws'. Here is the driver bucket being test fit for squareness and the expected clearance between panels. You can see in this PIC the two added braces to center make rigid the top of the driver bucket.

Name:  MVC-006S_20120219232820.JPG
Views: 2334
Size:  25.1 KB

This PIC show two more templates that will be used to make the lower section of the horn flare that attaches to the driver bucket as well as the supports for the scoop that is at the horns mouth.

Name:  MVC-004S_20120219232818.JPG
Views: 2357
Size:  26.6 KB

Everything fits so it's time to glue and screw the top and back panel to the first side panel. You should notice that a reflector has been installed in the upper back corner of the cab.

Name:  MVC-009S_20120219232823.JPG
Views: 2022
Size:  22.3 KB

That's it for this week's installment. This a weekend project for me. Unfortunately my day job and other responsibilities obligate me to other things during the week. I plan to continue this build and will post my results as I move along. My long term intent is to load the cabinet with a pair of JBL 2240's and measure the results. The panel between the driver bucket and the lower cavity will be made in such a way as to allow me to test changing the size of the resonant cavity immediately behind the drivers. I've got some other drivers that I want to try in this cab as well. One of them is an aging Altec 604. I am curious just how much usable upper band I can squeeze out of it.

I want to thank Lee for sharing his design with me. It's been fun to build!

Lee's gonna have to fly down to California to listen to those
    I'm gonna be in San Jose in march, but that's still too far

Quote Originally Posted by Eaulive View Post
    Lee's gonna have to fly down to California to listen to those
    I'm gonna be in San Jose in march, but that's still too far
    Anybody that wants to come is invited! It's always a good time to tip a glass and to listen to some good music with like minded people.

Thread Information