Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Richard Long's Waldorf restoration

Richard Long's Waldorf restoration

We all have fantasies, don't we? My fetish is RLA's Waldorf. So, after months of research, I finally I found more details on four of RLA's Waldorf. Showing details unseen (by me) before.

http://www.myspace.com/soundmanshorty/photos/33491904#{%22ImageId%22%3A33444481}

Thanks Shorty for the nice documentation of that restoration.

Name:  l.jpg
Views: 20068
Size:  29.6 KB

Pretty sure Shorty was buds with Scotty Fitlin, if it's the same guy.

I'd be actually very interested to hear from people who have factual experience with such Waldorf because numbers themself don't make sense to me. Let me explain. From redrawing a Waldorf, and with the confirmation from Shorty's restoration pictures, I can say with assurance than the horn path is not longer than a 4520. 8ft for the 4520 vs around 6.5ft, which is in fact even shorter than a 4530. So, theorically, the Waldorf is not designed to go low. The main differences that I see are as follow: bigger mouth than the 4520 and a bigger rear chamber which should translate into a rounder type of bass at, I suspect, a certain loss of efficiency.

The advantage of the Waldorf horn design compared to a 4520-4530 is that the Waldorf doesn't have two consecutive U shaped corners. In fact the Waldorf has only one 90° bend at the upper back (like the Jensen Imperial from which it was inspred), and that bend can even be easily rounded up to avoid resonance and cancellation.

I still think that a back loaded horn with a 2.9m path (9.5ft) tuned to 30Hz and using a pair of 2240 woofers with Fs30 remains a better alternative. But first I must hear from people who have compared the Waldorf with a 4520.

I wish the search was more functional here, I'm pretty sure I remember Scotty talking about some "modified" scoop horns in some club or set up. I bet that's the same ones Shorty has, but I don't remember the Waldorf part.

^^^Whenever I do a search on scoops, I usually end up with this great seminal thread. With Scott mentionning his double 2240h scoops.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...t-throw-horn.&

I still want to squeeze two 2240h in a 5' tall scoop. Be it of 4520 or Jensen Imperial design.

A bit off topic, but google can do a good job of searching here, just put in a search term, then add "site:audioheritage.org" to the end.
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...3203l0.4.11l15

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    there;s a thread over at the wavemusic forum that talks fo the waldorf recently...
    and references GSA's build of waldorf clones....

a few pretty interesting points in the discussion IMO, if you haven't seen it...

http://www.wavemusic.com/community/s...ad.php?t=11948

Been working on a draft for a Waldorf.

Current horn path is 2.10m which makes a tuning for 41Hz. Makes sense if the driver is a 2225h with Fs40Hz. Throat is 3"x34.5" and mouth is 42.5" x 34.5" (154"/3.91m circumference).

Name:  4520_15_tall.jpg
Views: 6767
Size:  53.6 KB

Tuning the cabinet to 30Hz for a pair of 2240h is "a bit" more difficult

I have forwarded last week the lastest drafts for 18" Waldorf cabinets (using twin JBL 2240 drivers) to a member of this forum, and other forums. Carl is currently building a first cabinet and will measure it. The cabinet is roughly 40" wide by 63" tall.

You will find below the horn path progression. Carl is making the second version (black line). In red, the Jensen Imperial horn path.

aren't most (RLA designed or inspired) waldorf boxes designed for 15" TAD 160* drivers?

what's up with the 18" version Lee?

are you planning on using a FLH above the scoops and below the acoustic lenses?

Quote Originally Posted by louped garouv View Post
    aren't most (RLA designed or inspired) waldorf boxes designed for 15" TAD 160* drivers?

what's up with the 18" version Lee?

are you planning on using a FLH above the scoops and below the acoustic lenses?
    RLA did use 15" drivers in his Walrdorf. I am going to twin 18" 2240s on this design. The cabinets are not for me but for that member and not intended to be replicas. I just wanted that extra grunt that 2240s have over 2225s. Those who have modified theit 4520s with 2240s have reported an incredible difference "down there". And I am going with a Jensen Imperial/Waldorf design because the horn parth is much simpler, reducing cancellations. The bass shall be more natural than with a 4520. Experimentation will also be done by increasing the rear chamber volume simply by unscrewing the panel between the rear chamber and the lost cavity below.

I will report. BTW "That person" is an electronic engineer and commercially designs DSPs. The goal is to have fun and experiment.

sound like a fun time!

dbx Boom Box

Are You guys aware that Richard Long used the dbx boom box in his installations? The current model is the 120A. W/o the boom box something (a lot) will be missing.

Ruediger

Quote Originally Posted by Ruediger View Post
    Are You guys aware that Richard Long used the dbx boom box in his installations? The current model is the 120A. W/o the boom box something (a lot) will be missing.

Ruediger
    only if you are playing the older disco, soul, and funk cuts...

those boomboxes can add too much synthesized
    bass to more modern productions/works -- of course -- IMHO and YMMV

I see something You don't see ...

Quote Originally Posted by Lee in Montreal View Post
    ... In fact the Waldorf has only one 90° bend at the upper back ...
    That is true. And another much larger one in the lower back, right?

Ruediger

Thread Information