Thread: Crown PS-200

Crown PS-200

I am using a ps400 for upper bass and PS-200 for my horns . the ps-200 when the volume controls are set, channel 2 output is lower than channel 1 , it seems that I have to set it 5 marks higher than channel 1 to get it to balance . did cable swaps etc , the indicator lights agree I am sure it seems to be in the amp.
    Is this a problem ? what can I do ?

The Crowns have input attenuators, not volume controls. Turn them both all the way up and see if they're balanced.

Assuming you've swapped cables on both input an output to test the pre-crossover output as well as the horns themselves?
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    The Crowns have input attenuators, not volume controls. Turn them both all the way up and see if they're balanced.

Assuming you've swapped cables on both input an output to test the pre-crossover output as well as the horns themselves?
    yes I have the peak limiters lights tells me that the balance is not right also , swapped horn drivers cables , the input attenuators set the same it does not balance out , but when I set the balance so the limiter lights are near equal the balance seems equal

Try flicking the stereo/mono switch back and forth a few times, just be sure to get it back into stereo.

forgot about that switch ---- will check it out ------ thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JeffW View Post
    Try flicking the stereo/mono switch back and forth a few times, just be sure to get it back into stereo.

good call Jeff so far it seems it was it , will clean contacts

thanks

I picked up some direct replacements from Rat Shack if you have one nearby and want to just replace it, #275-0407

Quote Originally Posted by jeffw View Post
    i picked up some direct replacements from rat shack if you have one nearby and want to just replace it, #275-0407

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JeffW View Post
    I picked up some direct replacements from Rat Shack if you have one nearby and want to just replace it, #275-0407
    The cheapest part on the D and PS-series amps. Luckily in over 40-years of use I've never bridged one so never had a problem with the little bugger!

Good call, Jeff, and I hope it puts Kart back to a happy Crown owner.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

crown service

Has anyone sent amps back to crown to have them inspected and tuned up, how costly is this ?
    Is there any services that upgrade the ps series, If so how costly is it and is it worth it ? these seem to be nice amps for what they can be purchased so putting a little money in them don't seem so painfull.
    I also have a D75 that is not working right , it sounds totally distorted ,I think in both channels is there a common problem that causes this ? If sent back to crown would it be feasible to fix for what its worth ?

The cheapest part on the D and PS-series amps. Luckily in over 40-years of use I've never bridged one so never had a problem with the little bugger!

Good call, Jeff, and I hope it puts Kart back to a happy Crown owner.
    It'll cause problems, even if not bridged.

But judging by his last post, seems like more trouble afoot.

Quote Originally Posted by kartsmart View Post
    Has anyone sent amps back to crown to have them inspected and tuned up, how costly is this ?
    Is there any services that upgrade the ps series, If so how costly is it and is it worth it ? these seem to be nice amps for what they can be purchased so putting a little money in them don't seem so painfull.
    Not too long ago I purchased a PS200 that had been sent back to Crown for re-certification to original specs. I believe the bill was for something around $250 and I bought it still in the box from Crown for something less than $200. I have the bill around here somewhere. Nothing about an upgrade, though. Just a "tune-up" with a complete check and new proof-of-performance certification sheet.

Today I think work on D-series and PS-series amps is offered by the Crown off-shoot AE Techron. They actually continued manufacturing both the PS and the D-series amps after Crown dropped them.

Stereo Imaging

No music is recorded ..equal SPL... per channel (unless mono)

Crown service centers

If you look on line there is a list of Crown service centers. May be one near you. When I got my PSA-2 a few years ago, I called the local service center and they were still doing business. Couldn't be sure he'd have the parts on hand, depending what was found, but still doing repair work on Crowns. (I never did take it in as it works fine as far as I can tell.)
    Give that a try. Could be a local shop that you can just drive your equipment over to.
    These amps have a rock solid rep. It's been told that Crown would run a 60 cycle tone in with enough gain to produce 120 volts on the output, plug in a washing machine and do a load of towels, then hook it back up to speakers and play music!
    The other story you'll hear from people that used Hammond organs is they would do the same thing to get the organ to sound right. If the 60 cycles were off then every note on the organ would be off, so using the Crown as sort of a power supply/filter was a great work around.
    Guy in WNY

Quote Originally Posted by Fort Knox View Post
    No music is recorded ..equal SPL... per channel (unless mono)
    Okay . . . but if you're checking to see if your system is putting out equally on both channels, it's easy to run a mono signal. Then setting the Crown input attenuators at max would take that variable out of the test.

Thread Information