I am currently using Audyssey Pro for calibration my home theater, but I do not like its "black box" routine. I can definately hear, that its doing something to the sound, and compared to the "raw" system, its an improvement. But what I dont like about it is, that it makes dialogue etc sound a little diffuse. Hard to explain, but without Audyssey enabled, it is easier to pinpoint the sound from the speakers. Audyssey mentions a lot about the work in the time domain, but they do not mention exactly what is beeing done.

I have thought about using Smaart v7 with multiple microphones and then measure the average response of all mics using pink noise and setting up the system manually. I have a DBX Driverack 4800 which should do a good result. I would be able to adjust the system while watching the freq.response/phase in real time.

I would really appreciate some inputs and some discussions about the different ways of calibration the system. If someone has experience with the JBL HATS/ARCOS and how things are done, it would be very interesting too. They use the BSS Soundwebs which have the same filters/processing power as the Driverack 4800.