Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: CNC copy of an 2328 adapter

Never said it that way either.

Hey Ruediger,

OK, but "may" could go for any horn, good or bad. Still in my opinion the best horns for HiFi today are with the same flare all the way. About the biradials I don´t know as I haven´t examined them, but they sound OK. Would be nice if you showed their design.

Did some Googling and found they are CD horns. Keele did the EV HR series and after that, at JBL in order to get around some patents, designed the Biradials. Looks nicer to me as they are smoother without the edge(?) when going from exp to conical. Read that paper long ago so I don´t remember the explanation.

Can´t find the word "guessing" in my answer to you. I mention "guesses" after my answer to you, about a subject that wasn´t directed to you mainly.

I used it after having seen 1" adapters here with designs that must have been based on guesses.
    Brgds
    Lars

Quote Originally Posted by reVintage View Post
    I used it after having seen 1" adapters here with designs that must have been based on guesses.
    Did people with their 1" thick adapters pretend it was doing the same task as the 4" long adapters? If they did, well, that was most likely a wrong pretention. If they acknowledged a higher cut-off, then what's the problem? A different tool for a different purpose.

This is how JBL adapts 1" drivers to 2397. As the adapter is short we can assume it has a higher frequency flare.

Name:  DSC01114S.JPG
Views: 3586
Size:  63.5 KB

And this Mr. Widgets idea, probably you will loose bottom end but gain top end, question is what happens to horizontal dispersion:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Brgds
    Lars

Hi Lars

I am confused by the use of the term "1-inch adapter", and perhaps this is why I don't understand how this topic is evolving. This thread was initially about a 1" thick adapter, not an adapter for a 1-inch driver. I guess I'll try to do my best to avoid any confusion in the future by using more precise terminology.

In regard of the piggybacking of adapters for a 1" driver (as pictured above), doesn't it bring detrimental effects in the upper frequencies?

Anyway, let's keep up the discussion as we'll all learn something...

OK, lets start again. Did you mean a 1" thick adapter for a 2" driver on 2397?

Flare again. If we consider your adapter as being with an exponential progression it has a flare of just below 600Hz.
    Brgds
    Lars

Quote Originally Posted by reVintage View Post
    OK, lets start again. Did you mean a 1" thick adapter for a 2" driver on 2397?
    1" thick adapter for a 2" driver to be used on any 3.5" x 3.75" mounting pattern. Be it a 2397, 2350 or any Westlake or other other.

Lee

As you see above it has a flare of about 600Hz.
    Brgds
    Lars

Quote Originally Posted by Allanvh5150 View Post
    The balloon is probably just to transition from the circular driver entry point into the square exit point.
    If linear horn surface expansion ("parabolic horn") is the goal, remaining horizontal conical flare, then such shape ( in vertical curve) can be expected.

look at the:

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...l=1#post213095

Reagrds
    Ivica

did you make these?

Hi bldozier,

Yes, You can see on some of my old post the whole horn made as a kind od DD66k inspiration.
    As I need not so wide horn i have recalculated horn lips to be about 60cm wide and about 25cm height.
    I have made two type of horn mouth, one for 2-inch driver (I have 2446, and 2450), and 1.5-inch driver (I have 2450-1.5-SL driver).
    With 1.50inch throat version I have get better horizontal dispersion ( about +/- 45 deg), while with 2-inch throat such hoizontal
    dispersion is about +/- 35 degs.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...1&d=1381156034
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...l=1#post353522

regards
    ivica

Thread Information