Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: JBL Direct K2 S-5800 just purchased Yahooo!

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Dallas TX
    Posts
    2

    JBL Direct K2 S-5800 just purchased Yahooo!

    Hi all I am new to the forum but not to JBL. I have just purchase a pair of the ebay specials for 2,800.00 and am excited! A couple of questions if I may?

    1) The mid range and tweeter horns seem to be much lower on the 5800's compared to the 9800, is that a big deal?

    2) Although my speakers havn't shipped yet I have been reading the manual and they say the caps in the crossovers on the 9800's are better quality and of course the compression drivers are different models. Can these be changed on the 5800 and would it even be worth the effort?

    3) I am hoping that the two 12" drivers will be faster than one 15" driver as in the 9800's, are the 9800's worth 3 and 1/2 times the money of the 5800's?

    Guy's I appreciate all of your help,

    Kind Regards,

    Guy

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,731
    Are you sure you got a pair for that price?

    There was a single on eBay for $2800 recently is why I'm asking.

    And price is relative, you'd need to look at list price of the two when new. These blowout prices are all over the map (the same single for $2800 was listed and pulled at $5400 just a couple of days before)

  3. #3
    Senior Member grumpy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    5,331
    No
    Yes
    No
    and
    How do you even answer a question like that?


    Hope your shipment is uneventful and you
    Get years of enjoyment from them!

  4. #4
    Senior Member SEAWOLF97's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    PDX, ®egon
    Posts
    9,075
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffW View Post
    There was a single on eBay for $2800 recently is why I'm asking.
    still there

    JBL Project K2 3-Way, Dual 12" Floor Speaker
    Item condition:Manufacturer refurbished
    Time left:29d 21h (Jul 29, 201113:41:02 PDT)
    Price:US $2,800.00



    Oh..there WAS a single sold today

    JBL Project K2 3-Way, Dual 12" Floor Speaker
    Item condition:Manufacturer refurbished
    Ended:Jun 29, 201113:25:41 PDT
    Sold For:US $2,800.00

    http://cgi.ebay.com/JBL-Project-K2-3...item2311cd4cd0


    almost looks like the second auction was started up just minutes after the first was sold ???
    “If you think that’s the dumbest thing you’ve ever heard,
    just wait a couple minutes!”

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Dallas TX
    Posts
    2
    Thanks for the help and OOPS , it sure doesn;t say a pair it says "speaker". I have sent them an email but they are not that good about replying. If it is for one speaker I will buy the second it just turns a great deal into a good deal.
    Guy

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,731
    Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    that one is still there
    Yeah, I just linked to it.

    I just looked under Harman's current listings and found an ad identical to This Recently Sold Example of a single for $2800.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,731
    Quote Originally Posted by playntheblues View Post
    Thanks for the help and OOPS , it sure doesn;t say a pair it says "speaker". I have sent them an email but they are not that good about replying. If it is for one speaker I will buy the second it just turns a great deal into a good deal.
    Guy

    Exactly. $5600 is still a smoking deal for a pair of these.

    I know vettedrummer and his buddy both bought a pair earlier on closeout and they love them.

    Here's what they WERE going for (you got a really good deal!)

  8. #8
    Senior Member martin_wu99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Xi'An,China
    Posts
    1,485
    Quote Originally Posted by playntheblues View Post
    Hi all I am new to the forum but not to JBL. I have just purchase a pair of the ebay specials for 2,800.00 and am excited! A couple of questions if I may?

    1) The mid range and tweeter horns seem to be much lower on the 5800's compared to the 9800, is that a big deal?

    2) Although my speakers havn't shipped yet I have been reading the manual and they say the caps in the crossovers on the 9800's are better quality and of course the compression drivers are different models. Can these be changed on the 5800 and would it even be worth the effort?

    3) I am hoping that the two 12" drivers will be faster than one 15" driver as in the 9800's, are the 9800's worth 3 and 1/2 times the money of the 5800's?

    Guy's I appreciate all of your help,

    Kind Regards,

    Guy
    You missed the first closeout.but 5400 us$ for a pair is a bargain indeed.
    1)Not a big deal.
    2)Not necessary
    3)9800 worth every penny,you konw, JBL is most pround of his 15''
    46 lover

  9. #9
    Senior Member Slare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Detroit, MI
    Posts
    285
    Quote Originally Posted by playntheblues View Post
    Thanks for the help and OOPS , it sure doesn;t say a pair it says "speaker". I have sent them an email but they are not that good about replying. If it is for one speaker I will buy the second it just turns a great deal into a good deal.
    Guy
    I'll make no argument about the pair still being a good deal... but I will say you have an awfully good attitude about a $2,800 oops. I guess my income is still low enough that a $2,800 miscalculation would still = WTF! in my book.

    Good luck, wish I could have them.
    JBL doesn't want to sell you Performance Series speakers.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. S2600 purchased-help
    By tom1040 in forum Lansing Product Technical Help
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 01-20-2009, 01:13 PM
  2. Dipoles with a Direct twist
    By Skoda in forum Lansing Product DIY Forum
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 03-04-2007, 06:07 AM
  3. k2 5800 project array 1400
    By Valentin in forum Lansing Product General Information
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-01-2006, 05:49 PM
  4. direct access
    By Alex Lancaster in forum Forum Feedback
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-15-2003, 10:26 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •