Thread: Pro-Audio Gear with 434X Studio Monitors????

Pro-Audio Gear with 434X Studio Monitors????

Just wanted to find our whether anyone out there uses pro audio gear with their studio monitors and why it may or not not be a good choice. When these speakers (the 43XX series) were being installed in studios, what were they typically being powered with?

I have a pair of DIY JBL 4345 Studio Monitors. I already own a pro x-over (the Ashly XR-2001). I was thinking about picking up some pro amps (more specifically - QSC PLX series and bi-amping my system).

Any reason why this is not a good idea?

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    Quote Originally Posted by dkalsi View Post
    Just wanted to find our whether anyone out there uses pro audio gear with their studio monitors and why it may or not not be a good choice. When these speakers (the 43XX series) were being installed in studios, what were they typically being powered with?

I have a pair of DIY JBL 4345 Studio Monitors. I already own a pro x-over (the Ashly XR-2001). I was thinking about picking up some pro amps (more specifically - QSC PLX series and bi-amping my system).

there are some folks who dislike the switching power
    supplies that the PLX series amps employ...

just as an FYI...

I have "no" experience with their newer stuff,
    but do enjoy the older MX3000a unit I use for subbass duty

With my factory 4345's I used a UREI 5234A crossover and special personality card for that speaker, with UREI/JBL 62xx amps for the woofers and tubes for the upper three drivers and thought that it was OK.

I then tried a Bryston 10B IC-free crossover, which I think is better, but there is a big difference in price (like a factor of 10!). Besides being IC-free the nice thing about the Bryston is that the slopes for the LP and HP are independently selectable from among 6,12 and 18 db.

I believe you will find in these forums that Bo Putnam's sequence with his factory 4345's went from UREI 5234A to Ashley to Bryston 10B Linkwitz-Riley with a custom card.

Asymmetrical slopes were at one time recommended for that speaker using the stock crossover. I believe, though, that 4313b's redesign is strictly for biamping and for that or perhaps some other reason, is usable with symmetrical slopes.

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    while we're talking xovers...

if you decide to go a bit higher end, you could custom order Marchand units also...
    I know quite a few folks who seem to like the product offering from that outfit...

www.marchandelec.com/

Quote Originally Posted by louped garouv View Post
    while we're talking xovers...

if you decide to go a bit higher end, you could custom order Marchand units also...
    I know quite a few folks who seem to like the product offering from that outfit...

www.marchandelec.com/
    I actually use a Marchand XM-9 crossover at the moment (utilizing a 290hz crossover point). I am happy with it. I am using a James Burgess 47 PP amplifier on the top end (which I believe is a 6wpc amp) and a Plinius SA-100 MKIII on the bottom end. I bought the Burgess earlier this year and I have absolutely fallen in love it - with jazz and female vocals, its just simply magical. My only compliant with it is that occasionally (or maybe often) when I have the urge to turn it up - it would only get so loud given its 6wpc power. And because everything sounds so good on it - I frequently have the urge to turn it up - I just kills me that I can't blast my system with it.

I think if one was using a 2-way system - where one can connect the 47 PP amplifier directly to a driver (which typically have sensitivity around 108db), it would sound sooooo good and one would be able to turn it up.

Question:

Answer:

I actually use a Marchand XM-9 crossover at the moment (utilizing a 290hz crossover point). I am happy with it. I am using a James Burgess 47 PP amplifier on the top end (which I believe is a 6wpc amp) and a Plinius SA-100 MKIII on the bottom end... and I have absolutely fallen in love it...
    Widget

our or out?confused
    I like pro machines the best,i own CITRONIC PPX900,SOUNDCRAFTSMAN,BGW8500T,ECLER 1360 SAE P500,i llike them,i like them to puch my L80 4628B,4208,it sounds great
    this is called "pro sound at home"
    46 lover

I have studied many pro machines,in my opinin,QSC is not a good choise.
    46 lover

I use vintage Yamaha and the newer P2500 through P7000 series.
    One of the concerns with QSC PLX and Crown XLS (I own a couple of both) is the cooling fans. All but the biggest old Yamaha's haven't any fans. The new Yamaha's fans don't come on until needed where the others run in low speed at all times. I have a Yamaha P7000 on two 4645C's in a H/T setup and have never heard the fans come on. I thrash them pretty hard.

YMMV
    4406, 4412A, L100, L100t3 (3 pair), L1, L7, 4645C, 4660A, 4695B, SR4735 and various DIY JBL Pro loaded systems.

On the woofers ( of my biamped setup ) I use a surplus QSC PL 1.8 . Nice amp !

The top end is driven by another pro-amp type ( sort of ), a Bryston 2BLP ( the front end is DC biased , which BTW, transforms the sonics of this amp, IMHO ) .

The fan in the QSC might be bothersome to some ( if not most / just not to me ) .

Fans can be changed out to quieter types ( for little money & a little hassle ) .

I may do this if the fan ever starts bugging me .

Here's a thread ( over at HTS ) about changing out the fan in an inexpensive pro amp ( a Behringer model ) .

- Swapping out the fan inside a EP4000 for a much quieter model !

<> EarlK

Quote Originally Posted by martin_wu99 View Post
    I have studied many pro machines,in my opinin,QSC is not a good choise.
    If you know how to snip and tie that problem can be remedied. QSC makes great amps and if you're worried about fan noise mod them or place them in another room. I modded my RMX2450 with a quieter fan and it's not bad at all. My PL340 is really loud but it still has a warranty so I can't touch it, yet.

Thread Information