Hey all,
I am presently attempting to recone a set of JBL 2225s to 2235hs and have bought an aftermarket, disassembled kit for the job. Not a great choice I fear, but the money is already spent...
The generic instructions say to "set the VC height" firmly against the shim prior to gluing - duh. But being generic instructions, nowhere does it say HOW to set the height, or at WHAT height.
I contacted the seller and was told the last coil on the VC should sit 1/4 inch above the magnet base.
But doing this puts the spyder effectively TOUCHING the top coil.
And every "assembled" recone kit I have seen shows a definate gap between the top coil and the spyder, I'm guessing 1/8th to 1/4 of an inch.
My new 2235h VC is taller and has more coils than the original 2225 that came out, as expected, so I believe it to be an accurate enough reproduction of the VC.
So, question to anyone who has done this or has originals to compare to -
what should the distance be from the nearest coil winding on the 2235h VC to the "glue line" or nearest edge of the spyder?
Or is it more important and correct to ask - what is the distance from the farthest (1st) coil winding to the spyder?