Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2225/2235h conversion question

2225/2235h conversion question

Hey all,
    I am presently attempting to recone a set of JBL 2225s to 2235hs and have bought an aftermarket, disassembled kit for the job. Not a great choice I fear, but the money is already spent...
    The generic instructions say to "set the VC height" firmly against the shim prior to gluing - duh. But being generic instructions, nowhere does it say HOW to set the height, or at WHAT height.
    I contacted the seller and was told the last coil on the VC should sit 1/4 inch above the magnet base.
    But doing this puts the spyder effectively TOUCHING the top coil.
    And every "assembled" recone kit I have seen shows a definate gap between the top coil and the spyder, I'm guessing 1/8th to 1/4 of an inch.
    My new 2235h VC is taller and has more coils than the original 2225 that came out, as expected, so I believe it to be an accurate enough reproduction of the VC.
    So, question to anyone who has done this or has originals to compare to -
    what should the distance be from the nearest coil winding on the 2235h VC to the "glue line" or nearest edge of the spyder?
    Or is it more important and correct to ask - what is the distance from the farthest (1st) coil winding to the spyder?

Quote Originally Posted by rlslavik View Post
    I believe it to be an accurate enough reproduction of the VC.

So, question to anyone who has done this or has originals to compare to -
    what should the distance be from the nearest coil winding on the 2235h VC to the "glue line" or nearest edge of the spyder?
    Does it really matter as it will never be accurate enough no matter what?

But you are right there is a space between the top winding on the coil and the spider glue point.

well, being that nothing is EVER perfect, why do we do anything at all?
    But, I get your point. Just don't see the economics to a perfect pair of factory 2235hs.

As well as sound, the VC could hit the back if installed too deep.
    Installed to shallow, the dust cap won't even fit.

Per my 1/4 inch instructions, the dust cap sits a good 3/8ths of an inch out of the cone. Looks high to me and how does the mass ring fit at that point?

But I would actually like it to be correct for the sound as well...

If there is an actual "measurement" for the height, like someone with one pulled apart at the moment, I'm simply looking for it.

Go back and ask the supplier of the kit that you have. It is difficult to judge what to do without seeing the parts. I am not sure that I would try a recone with an unassembled kit. I have done heaps of the others but do not think that I would try this. Too many things to go wrong.

Allan.

yeah, I just sent them another Email stating to them the way I understand their instructions and the fact that there would be no gap between the VC and spyder.
    Should get an answer later today.

Bought the kit a year+ back. Never even SAW an assembled kit at that time. Wish I had.

At this point the WORST I can do is assemble it all wrong and buy a couple assembled kits afterwards.

Glad I have at least as MUCH dollars as sense...

Not sure you can buy assembled kits for these. Unless you can get the genuine JBL kit if you are in the know.....

Allan.

Sorry to be blunt ,

There a few guys here, that with a JBL kit can match factory specs....the thing they have on their side is experience and of course , the real kit ...

Cut your losses ,ebay the kits and get them reconed by a pro ... Or buy Eminence woof's ... they'll be as close to factory 2235 spec as your present approach.

Rich

,,,,,,snip,,,,,So, question to anyone who has done this or has originals to compare to -
    Or is it more important and correct to ask - what is the distance from the farthest (1st) coil winding to the spyder?
    - The spacing is a mere 1/16" of an inch ( on a measured original I have here ) from the edge of the small "neck/collar" of the spider to the first winding . Or @ 1/8" off the horizontal flatness of the spider ( see the stacked quarters ) . Obviously, the spider itself adds an additional @ 1/16" of depth because of it's upturned neck ( oriented, towards the voice-coil ) .

- BTW, what is the winding depth of your aftermarket VC ? ( it should be @ 3/4" ) .

- Also , what's the total depth of the VC former ? ( it should be @ 1.25" ) .

- Total assembled kit weight shouldn't be any less than @ 100 grams ( or else you won't even achieve the LF response of a 2234 "wanna-be" ) .

A warning now; if you abuse this info, ( say screw the pooch on your assembly and then decide to eBay your disaster as a working JBL original ), you will be at the very least ostracized , if not hunted down .
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Hello Earl,

What is the weight of your original recone?

Regards,

Gerhard

What is the weight of your original recone?
    - It's not obvious ?
    - My post deliberately mentions the 2234 ( not the 2235 ) needing to be no less than @ 100 grams ( dead weight ) .
    - IOW, I simply left out the weight of the mass ring ( whose mass/weight is plastered all around this web-site ) .
    - ,,,,,,edit,,,,, then ,,,,,,, .

<> cheers

PS : One must match the BL figures ( of either the 2234 or 2235 ), to their respective ( static ) cone assembly weights, to get close to achieving JBLs acoustic "recipe" .

GRRR!!
    Just spent 30 minutes writing a reply and got timed out - lost it all.

Short answer = VC former 1.5 inches tall. coil windings 3/4. No digital scale to weigh it. Marked 1860-8 of that means anything.

Simply Speakers - where I bought it online NOW says 1/8th gap between spider and coils.

Thanks for the pics. Very helpful.

Thanks for the threat too. Seriously.
    Glad to know someone in the world is still honest.
    No chance of scamming here.
    Got enough more than enough to live on.
    If it ain't enough to RETIRE on, it don't matter at all.

Sorry for being short.
    Irritated for the time out thing.
    Any cure for THAT?

IIRC, that little "remember me" click box next to where you normally login
    helps prevent timeouts (intuitively obvious, eh?) I just do it by rote now.

I'll try that from now on.
    Figured that would just allow me back on for a few hours if I left without logging out...

Do you still have the original 2225 cone assembly?
    The center of the VC should be leveled with the center of the top plate, since the 2235 coil is longer than the 2225, it's normal that it's getting closer to the spider. It will also extend deeper below.

I would just copy the 2225 assembly and keep the center of both coils at the same height.

If not, know that the top plate on the 2225/2235/E140 and the like is 7.1mm thick, by measuring the your VC height, it should be easy enough to center everything.

All this being said, it will probably work, but how well?
    Like the others, I don't see the point in trying to recone a JBL driver with anything else than a genuine JBL part, I would buy an original Eminence, RCF, B&C, anything before doing this.

But whatever floats your boat, good luck and keep us posted

Quote Originally Posted by Earl K View Post
    - It's not obvious ?
    - My post deliberately mentions the 2234 ( not the 2235 ) needing to be no less than @ 100 grams ( dead weight ) .
    - IOW, I simply left out the weight of the mass ring ( whose mass/weight is plastered all around this web-site ) .
    - ,,,,,,edit,,,,, then ,,,,,,, .

<> cheers

PS : One must match the BL figures ( of either the 2234 or 2235 ), to their respective ( static ) cone assembly weights, to get close to achieving JBLs acoustic "recipe" .

I was just curious about the exact cone weight, 2234 has a mms of 105 gram. I have a reproduction recone in parts which is weighing 106 gram +/- 2 ( spider, voicecoil and cone, no glue)

Voicecoil former: 37.9 mm
    Voicecoil height: 19.1mm

Regards Gerhard

Thread Information