Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2445 condenser

Quote Originally Posted by Earl K View Post
    Condenser is an archaic word ( by North American standards ) for the simple Capacitor .

Obviously, it's a word that still has meaning to some / I'm pretty sure that my old Land-Rover shop manuals, used the word .

<. EarlK
    Yep my first TC-100 Triumph (500cc twin) manual talked about the condenser , and the Zener too!
    Back in the days of KC and valves ... sending signals out into the Aether ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

It is kind of a funny term but it sort of makes sense as a devise description for what it does in an ignition system as an arc suppressor.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

according to the pic, 45 degrees of phase change happens in the pass band....

The term condenser is still used in the auto field and in the audio field. Ever heard of a "condenser microphone"?

Condenser is an archaic word ( by North American standards ) for the simple Capacitor .

Obviously, it's a word that still has meaning to some / I'm pretty sure that my old Land-Rover shop manuals, used the word .

<. EarlK

Thanks, the title makes sense to me now.

I did understand the discussion was about Capacitor but the title had me confused.

<. EarlK
    Quote Originally Posted by penngray
    Thanks, the title makes sense to me now.

I did understand the discussion was about Capacitor but the title had me confused.
    Condenser is a term that is still used though out the automotive world, including all the major auto manufacturers.

Quote Originally Posted by maxwedge View Post
    Condenser is a term that is still used though out the automotive world, including all the major auto manufacturers.
    This is audio though. There is not a XO desgn book, XO online discussion I have been involved with over the years that used the term condenser. Hence my question/confusion.

You are not putting a condenser in series on the tweeter you are buying and placing a capacitor in series on the tweeter to protect it from DC (ribbons and compression drivers need it!!). Proper definitions make it easier to have discussions.

In fact, I have always been puzzled by the use of "capacitor" in the anglo-saxon language. The French denomination is "condensateur" and the Hispanic one is "condensador", wether you are talking about this small piece of electronics used in audio, in cars or the secondary radiator core for the air conditioning.

Quote Originally Posted by penngray View Post
    This is audio though. There is not a XO desgn book, XO online discussion I have been involved with over the years that used the term condenser. Hence my question/confusion.

You are not putting a condenser in series on the tweeter you are buying and placing a capacitor in series on the tweeter to protect it from DC (ribbons and compression drivers need it!!). Proper definitions make it easier to have discussions.
    Well yah duh.

What I said is fact and it's also fact that condensers and capacitors are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by maxwedge View Post
    Well yah duh.

What I said is fact and it's also fact that condensers and capacitors are one and the same.
    Ah yes grasshopper, but sometimes fact is replaced by point of view.

I am not sure the auto industry will change their terminology and I am pretty sure the music industry will be asking for capacitor mics in the very near future.

Allan.

Quote Originally Posted by Allanvh5150 View Post
    Ah yes grasshopper, but sometimes fact is replaced by point of view.
    I think that the OP got what he needs, I was just stating some info.

Quote Originally Posted by Allanvh5150 View Post
    I am not sure the auto industry will change their terminology and I am pretty sure the music industry will be asking for capacitor mics in the very near future.

Allan.

Scott

In some "condenser" microphone descriptions the mic is referred to as a "capacitor" microphone.
    As for DC blocking/protection in my systems 8 ohm drivers they get a 30uf cap, that puts them a little more than an octave below the crossover frequency.

Hey , I see you've been having fun with my old English/Spanish terminology!

Glad I put my caps in the horns as the first time out they had the wrong buttons pushed on the xover so the horns got 120-20k and survived a whole rock set. The 2445s are pretty robust. We can try them as subs next time lol
    Thanks for all your help
    GCT

Lucky then you had the extra caps in there!!!!

Allan.

On page #8 of the JBL 5324a operation manual, there's a list of the various condenser values to use to protect against DC. Values depending on crossover frequency and driver's impedance.

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source...oVgXyQ&cad=rja

Thread Information