Hello to all,
I started a thread over in general information but have not gotten any response, so I will try here. I have acquired a pair of JBL 4627's, caravan series. I was not able to hear anything from the tweeters so I dismounted everything to check them.
Inside I found that The woofer is a E140 8 ohm (is supposed to be a 145 in this series).
I tried to measure the Ohmage on the tweeter but got no reading.
I suppose this means that it is blown!! So buying and installing a new diaphragm will solve
this problem, right?
The tweeter is a 16 Ohm 2410 driver with the 2301 "Potato masher" horn. These horns do not seem to be greatly appreciated in this forum and I was wondering why??
Anyway I read that the original diaphragm was Aluminium. There are some originals available "D16R2410" but they cost over $300 each!! The aftermarket 2425 would apparently fit the 2410, is made out of Titanium, and only costs $75.
So what should I get??
Oh, and when I do get new ones how do I replace them?? I don't want to damage something else because of my ignorance!
The question came to mind, why did they blow in the first place?
Before I got them they were being used for music production, mostly synthesizer. Maybe some deeper frequencies were not being filtered out properly??
The crossover circuit is in a sealed riveted box.
How do I open this to check the elements?
When I turn the L-pad I measure from 0 Ohms to about 5 Ohms in the middle and then goes back to zero. Is that the correct behavior for the L-pad??
I have only checked one speaker so far so I don't have a comparison between the two, but the other one is surely blown as well since I was hearing nothing out of the tweeter.
I hope someone can help me out,
many thanks