+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: dbx Driverack pa+, do yours introduce a hiss to the tweeter?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    denmark, copenhagen
    Posts
    29

    dbx Driverack pa+, do yours introduce a hiss to the tweeter?

    hi all, need help

    my diy front ht speakers consists of 12" bass jbl le120h1-s, 6,5" midrange jbl gs726 and high freq. 1" compression driver jbl 2426.
    power comes from 2 carver av 705x consumer poweramps(5x125w each). only rca inputs.

    crossover is a dbx driverack pa+.

    my tweeters has a small hiss when only connected to the poweramp and the poweramp is not connected to the dbx. this doesnt bother me.

    but:

    when i connect the poweramp to the dbx the hiss becomes much louder, its like leasening to a seabreeze

    i only sitt 6 feet away, because of roomsize!

    it doesnt influence the hiss if the dbx is connected to my pre-amp or not.


    do you pa+ users have the same problem? or do you have any ideers that maybe can help me?

    ps sorry for the bad enghlish.

  2. #2
    JBL 4645
    Guest
    Hiss is a sound frequency when you think about it logically?

    I have the same issue as everyone else that has Behringer DCX2496 so this isn’t just one product name that has the same issue.

    How loud do play the HF 80db or higher?

    I set the amp level at lower level because that’s only going to amplify the hiss until a film or music is playing over it!

    The hiss would be centred on narrow frequency response if you placed the EQ and targeted on the hiss and cut back only its going to affect the film or music by reducing a small narrow range of the highs no problem. Place second EQ and target the frequency with cut on dbx and boast it up that’s one of tackling.

    You need the second EQ on the inputs only use EQ on dbx to cut down the offending hiss use the Q at narrow then cut down on db level on frequency if the his is still audible widen the Q a little bit until the hiss has gone.

    Then boast for the loss on the input with matching EQ or Behinger FBQ2496 because the frequency of the hiss might be around between 3 KHz and 5 KHz and you’ll need to slide frequency up and down on dbx until you have targeted it!

    Then use FBQ2496 to find the same frequency and place boast because most 31 band EQ have the bands centred you can’t tailor it to your liking.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Eaulive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Back in Montreal
    Posts
    1,191
    Quote Originally Posted by panduro View Post
    hi all, need help

    my diy front ht speakers consists of 12" bass jbl le120h1-s, 6,5" midrange jbl gs726 and high freq. 1" compression driver jbl 2426.
    power comes from 2 carver av 705x consumer poweramps(5x125w each). only rca inputs.

    crossover is a dbx driverack pa+.

    my tweeters has a small hiss when only connected to the poweramp and the poweramp is not connected to the dbx. this doesnt bother me.

    but:

    when i connect the poweramp to the dbx the hiss becomes much louder, its like leasening to a seabreeze

    i only sitt 6 feet away, because of roomsize!

    it doesnt influence the hiss if the dbx is connected to my pre-amp or not.


    do you pa+ users have the same problem? or do you have any ideers that maybe can help me?

    ps sorry for the bad enghlish.
    Yes, I have a Driverack PA+, no I don't have a hiss even if I stick my ears on the tweeter.
    A properly set gain structure, this is your key to happiness.
    The Driverack is a professional piece of equipment capable of outputting more than 20dBu which is much much more than what you need to drive your consumer amp into clipping.

    You have to adjust the gains on your amplifier so it starts clipping at about the same level _or just before_ your driverack.

    Just to give you an idea, at normal bedroom listening levels I light up the -20dB segment occasionaly, and if I listen to it loud the -10dB is lit up almost solid.

    The gains on my amplifier are set to around 9 o'clock and at this level I hear no noise what so ever

    In the driverack manual there is a chapter about gain structure, page 33.
    Read it and follow it !

    Good luck, keep us posted.
    Last edited by Eaulive; 05-28-2011 at 07:57 AM. Reason: spelling

  4. #4
    Senior Member Eaulive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Back in Montreal
    Posts
    1,191
    Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post
    The hiss would be centred on narrow frequency response if you placed the EQ and targeted on the hiss and cut back only its going to affect the film or music by reducing a small narrow range of the highs no problem. Place second EQ and target the frequency with cut on dbx and boast it up that’s one of tackling.


    You need the second EQ on the inputs only use EQ on dbx to cut down the offending hiss use the Q at narrow then cut down on db level on frequency if the his is still audible widen the Q a little bit until the hiss has gone.

    Then boast for the loss on the input with matching EQ or Behinger FBQ2496 because the frequency of the hiss might be around between 3 KHz and 5 KHz and you’ll need to slide frequency up and down on dbx until you have targeted it!

    I sincerely hope nobody follows your ill advice

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    nj
    Posts
    188
    Quote Originally Posted by Eaulive View Post
    I sincerely hope nobody follows your ill advice
    I agree, and also agree a proper gain structure is the key.

  6. #6
    JBL 4645
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by allen mueller View Post
    I agree, and also agree a proper gain structure is the key.
    I was just thinking out loud! What you think I have the amps for HF up at full to burn the voice coils out along with brittle highs.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    denmark, copenhagen
    Posts
    29
    thanks all,

    ill hurry up and get my second carver poweramp to the rep shop, last owner took the the attenuator to each channel off.

    but just tried with the other one, and you sure were right, turning it down took the hiss away, now only a question of seing if it will play loud enoughf.

    thanks for the aid.

    best regards

    panduro

  8. #8
    Senior Member Eaulive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Back in Montreal
    Posts
    1,191
    Quote Originally Posted by panduro View Post
    thanks all,

    ill hurry up and get my second carver poweramp to the rep shop, last owner took the the attenuator to each channel off.

    but just tried with the other one, and you sure were right, turning it down took the hiss away, now only a question of seing if it will play loud enoughf.

    thanks for the aid.

    best regards

    panduro
    This is the problem when mixing consumer and pro stuff, by turning down the gain on your amplifier you got rid of the hiss, but now your preamp is maybe not going to be able to feed your driverack with enough voltage to take advantage of its full headroom.

    Do you have settings in your preamp that allows for higher output level? Do you have balanced outputs?

    If you have only RCA outputs you could work around this by inserting some kind of matching device between your preamp and the driverack, example:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ay_Stereo.html

    With this you will increase the consumer output of your preamp to the pro input of your driverack, now I realize it may be not audiophile quality but it was just an example.

    Good luck with this

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    denmark, copenhagen
    Posts
    29
    hi again,

    my preamp is a Onkyo PR-SC5508 and does have balance in/outs! what does that change?

    dont know if i can change the output levet from it, but ill find the instruction manual and find out.

    best regards and thanks

    panduro

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    roanoke Va
    Posts
    4

    loudness

    if you are sitting 6 feet away loudness not a problem 10 watts into those high sensitivity drivers will have your ears bleeding john
    Quote Originally Posted by panduro View Post
    thanks all,

    ill hurry up and get my second carver poweramp to the rep shop, last owner took the the attenuator to each channel off.

    but just tried with the other one, and you sure were right, turning it down took the hiss away, now only a question of seing if it will play loud enoughf.

    thanks for the aid.

    best regards

    panduro

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    denmark, copenhagen
    Posts
    29
    I hope so, well not literally, but having more than enough headroom is nice.

    thanks

    panduro

  12. #12
    Senior Member Eaulive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Back in Montreal
    Posts
    1,191
    Quote Originally Posted by panduro View Post
    hi again,

    my preamp is a Onkyo PR-SC5508 and does have balance in/outs! what does that change?

    dont know if i can change the output levet from it, but ill find the instruction manual and find out.

    best regards and thanks

    panduro
    Usually, balanced outputs means also that the output is of "pro" levels so it should be able to drive your DBX properly.

    Check the "nominal levels" section.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_level

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. jbl 2426/7 compression driver, hiss and frekvency range
    By panduro in forum Lansing Product DIY Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-13-2011, 11:41 PM
  2. trying to bi-amp...crossover adding too much hiss
    By KenWH in forum Electronic Crossovers
    Replies: 76
    Last Post: 07-16-2010, 07:59 AM
  3. Getting hiss, can't figure out why
    By FredEmmerich in forum Lansing Product General Information
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-01-2005, 06:13 AM
  4. Let me introduce myself....
    By 2pair in forum Lansing Product General Information
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-05-2004, 08:50 AM
  5. I would like to introduce myself.
    By Ralf in forum Lansing Product General Information
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-09-2003, 08:03 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts