Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: JBL quality control could use some improvement

The Pro gear is being made in Mexico. Cinema guys were waiting MONTHS to get a 4675C. They sourced one locally.

Picked up the sub, ended up costing about $500 tax incl for a brand new amp, 90 day warranty on parts & labor. I decided that, as I only paid about $300 for it new, I might as well get it fixed.

Got it home, and (surprise!), it works, but the stand by/ in use lights on top don't work.

After driving about an hour there, and an hour back, to get it, I'm not particularly happy.

Stay tuned...

Quote Originally Posted by wu6fiend View Post
    Picked up the sub, ended up costing about $500 tax incl for a brand new amp, 90 day warranty on parts & labor. I decided that, as I only paid about $300 for it new, I might as well get it fixed.

Got it home, and (surprise!), it works, but the stand by/ in use lights on top don't work.

After driving about an hour there, and an hour back, to get it, I'm not particularly happy.

Stay tuned...

Hey, you paid $500. I paid $11.000 for my Array 1400's and these were the problems I detected when I took them out of the box (brand new):

1. One horn had imprinted fingers on one side (can't remove them). I guess a Mexican worker wasn't too careful.

2. One horn had no damping gasket at the bottom. I didn't notice it at first and connected it to the enclosure anyway. Now I have scratched enclosure too.

3. One woofer had something spilled on it or someone scratched it with a finger.

4. One mid driver was scratched on its back side.

5. Another horn has scratch marks on it.

Now I am waiting for JBL to see when/if they are going to get the replacement parts.

I'm starting to fear they already ran out of replacement parts, although they still sell the product.

Imagine buying a brand new car for which there are no replacement parts. That's how I feel at the moment.

What kind of product support is that?

You know I never heard of any QC problems on NEW L100's, L26's, L19's etc..etc..
    (and they were the lower end of consumer JBLs)

progress ?
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Internet. It's impossible to take care of most things quietly now.

United Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Amurica, Inc.
    I found it interesting that the owner of the shop commented that he is seeing a lot of subs from many different manufacturers coming in for repairs. He said that they all use poor quality amps. He said that Polk and JBL are just two of the offenders.
    If you want a powered sub that does still come with a decent amp, get a REL. I can tell you from owning a Stentor III for several years, they're overbuilt, sound excellent, and integrate with most satellites and rooms extremely well. Never a hint of a problem and I have pounded this thing unmercifully, (generally mated with B&W Nautilus 803s X-Oed at 34Hz).

Might cost a bit more than the L8400P though.

saw a pair of JBL E??? towers in a thrift yesterday ....the plastic baffles were warped , drivers looked super cheesy and I wouldn't take them home even if they were FREE ....if this was
    my only exposure to JBL , welll ...my opinion of the brand would be very low....hope they
    sounded great, but somehow I doubt it..

The Old Gray Mare,
    she ain't what she used to be,
    many long years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    saw a pair of JBL E??? towers in a thrift yesterday ....the plastic baffles were warped , drivers looked super cheesy and I wouldn't take them home even if they were FREE ....if this was
    my only exposure to JBL , welll ...my opinion of the brand would be very low....hope they
    sounded great, but somehow I doubt it..
    Actually the Nothridge E series is not as bad as it may seem.

Quote Originally Posted by Eaulive View Post
    Would have to agree there.....

Allan.

I found it interesting that the owner of the shop commented that he is seeing a lot of subs from many different manufacturers coming in for repairs. He said that they all use poor quality amps. He said that Polk and JBL are just two of the offenders.
    That's why I live and die with McIntosh amps still proudly made in the USA.The day they have to be made in China,Mexico,etc... Is the day they will close shop permanently!

Granted they cost more but what doesn't for quality ? Personally I'm disgusted with the state of electronics today.Good quality electronics gear used to be affordable for everyone.Now you have to spend a lot of cash to get top quality gear.Or you get into the cycle of having to buy new cheap stuff every year because it just doesn't last before repairs are needed.I'm not saying every single item but in general.
    "James B. Lansing" = Lansing Manufacturing ~ Altec Lansing ~ JBL

Quote Originally Posted by dcolak View Post
    Imagine buying a brand new car for which there are no replacement parts. That's how I feel at the moment.
    What kind of product support is that?
    when I worked at Intel, we found a bunch of older NEC laptops in storage...when talking to NEC , I discovered that they were valuable to NEC..they explained that current US law requires replacement parts to be available for 7 years after a products life...and they did not have parts for those computers ....we/I sold them back to NEC to cover their a$$es for parts availability.

Quote Originally Posted by Allanvh5150 View Post
    Would have to agree there.....

Allan.
    thank for your post E (and the "me too") ...I was responding to the thread topic ....
    the only worse QC speaker that I've seen was a pair of UK built Missions...the Chinese would be embarrassed to put their COO on those (tho they sound fine)

United Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Amurica, Inc.
    That's too bad, because Mission used to be a half decent speaker. Had a pair of the little Model 70 in the late 80s that served me well.

Quote Originally Posted by Altec Best View Post
    Good quality electronics gear used to be affordable for everyone.Now you have to spend a lot of cash to get top quality gear.
    I tend to disagree with this. 20 years ago you could not find a brand new professional Crown amplifier or JBL loudspeaker at 300 bucks.
    Today anybody can get PRO gear for a ridiculous price, the problem is not that the quality is going down, it's that the lower cost of electronics and production has spawned a new range of products that could not be produced 20 years ago.

Today anybody can get PRO gear for a ridiculous price, the problem is not that the quality is going down, it's that the lower cost of electronics and production has spawned a new range of products that could not be produced 20 years ago.
    agree...used Pro gear (my experience is with BGW) is cheap, reliable and MUCH better than the equivalent cost 2011 stuff ...but the equivalent quality new gear is out of my price range. My BGW203 preamp was 3k new.

thats why we, as a group, tend to go for vintage 43xx/44xx monitors, Crown , BGW , Nak , Yam etc..type gear.

The amps I'm using are meant for the road or 24/7 usage , are field replaceable on the components and built like MILSPEC and aren't made in Ch1na..

Quote Originally Posted by Altec Best View Post
    Good quality electronics gear used to be affordable for everyone.Now you have to spend a lot of cash to get top quality gear.
    I lusted after L100's in 1972 ....they were $273 each ...that was a princely sum back then , took a number of years to finally afford them ...seems like a joke now.

Thread Information