Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: JBL Array 1400 - cabinets are live!

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post

I'm just glad I survived the freakin' Rapture and get to live through several months of Hell on Earth before the total destruction of the planet on October 6th. Oh, wait a minute... I didn't get taken up into Heaven did I? Oops, screwed again.

I'll spend the next four months just being happy with the JBLs I've got I guess.
    That dates just another misunderstanding, fear not, a destroyer no more, it's just the anniversary of when I came to earth.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

A final suggestion ,

get rid of the Yamaha amp or bi-amp with your valves . If you are going to use a digital format ,get something like the Amarra software . Dump the Squeeze box and get a Mac book Pro or 1TB mini Mac .Hey ,make it even easier and use something like the Olive 4 or 6 . Or sell the Cambridge and get a dedicated DAC .

BTW , have you looked to see the gear the owners of the Array here are using ?

You obviously have the cash , spend it.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by richluvsound View Post
    get something like the Amarra software
    http://www.sonicstudio.com/amarra/productoverview.html

$695 for a software media player
    C'mon, that can't be right?!!

So all we've managed to establish is that at high levels a loudspeaker box will vibrate, some with narrower /less surface area will vibrate less at LF than larger enclosures oh and the rather light backing box on the SAM1 horn also transmits some of this enclosure vibration.

It isn't a serious vibration however because we cant detect it masking the low level detail retrieval of the Arrays or imparting any notable boxy colourations.

Tannoy for one actually 'tunes' their enclosures to lose vibration using dmt technology-lossy adhesives that shift panel resonances out of the critical audio bands-place a hand on any panel when playing loud you will feel vibration-an equivalent birch ply box braced to hell will be coloured high up in the midband as all the bracing shifts these resonances higher in frequency where they do more damage.

Personally if I felt this way about speakers I'd sell them not post negative web chatter about speakers I was apparently still 'very happy with'.

Quote Originally Posted by cooky1257 View Post
    So all we've managed to establish is that at high levels a loudspeaker box will vibrate, some with narrower /less surface area will vibrate less at LF than larger enclosures oh and the rather light backing box on the SAM1 horn also transmits some of this enclosure vibration.

It isn't a serious vibration however because we cant detect it masking the low level detail retrieval of the Arrays or imparting any notable boxy colourations.

Tannoy for one actually 'tunes' their enclosures to lose vibration using dmt technology-lossy adhesives that shift panel resonances out of the critical audio bands-place a hand on any panel when playing loud you will feel vibration-an equivalent birch ply box braced to hell will be coloured high up in the midband as all the bracing shifts these resonances higher in frequency where they do more damage.

Personally if I felt this way about speakers I'd sell them not post negative web chatter about speakers I was apparently still 'very happy with'.
    Hey hey hey, I'm perfectly happy with Arrays! I listened to Ravel Ultima2's and went "pfft, give me back my Arrays."

There is no negativity, I wrote it as it was.

They do vibrate (more than Klipsch RF-83 at the same Wrms), but as I mentioned in one of my posts, it does look like as if it was made intentionally that way.

I have no intention on selling my precious

Thank you all for clearing this up.

Quote Originally Posted by richluvsound View Post
    A final suggestion ,

get rid of the Yamaha amp or bi-amp with your valves . If you are going to use a digital format ,get something like the Amarra software . Dump the Squeeze box and get a Mac book Pro or 1TB mini Mac .Hey ,make it even easier and use something like the Olive 4 or 6 . Or sell the Cambridge and get a dedicated DAC .

BTW , have you looked to see the gear the owners of the Array here are using ?

You obviously have the cash , spend it.

Good luck
    Uh I have to disagree with you on most of what you wrote, I mean no disrespect.

Amarra software? I'm a software engineer, one of my products is PartyDJ, a music reproduction program. Amarra is the biggest tar of a snake oil I've seen in all my years in HiFi.

I don't mean to offend you, but, Amarra, an f'in DSP PLUGIN for iTunes?! It's a disgrace for our profession, what they are doing. RAM cached music playback?! Didn't they hear of disk caching mechanism that is part of the operating system and the harddisk itself?

Why dump SqueezeBox as a transport? It works as well if not even better than a Mac that has to run whole OSX just to stream the bytes to a spdif.

What does make me interested is to know how does Lavry DA10 sound or don't sound as some would say describing good DAC's.

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    It really depends on the efficiency, doesn't it ...
    Its not the wattage, its the volume level - Where do you have your level pot set?
    I run my biamped 4 ways with roughly 400w speaker, but I never turn them up much so I never get them very loud.
    The amplifier is 500W RMS per channel.

I have the pot set at -10dB which gives me 24.2V output into 6ohm (being fed with 2.1V input from Cambridge Audio 840C.)

24.2V into 6ohm ~ 97W RMS

It's just for the parties, day to day listening sees pot set at -30dB which gives me 2.4V into 6ohm ~ 0.96W RMS

Of course, taking the assumption that Array 1400 on the whole could be seen as a 6ohm speaker.

I'm no headbanger

My how things change!

Years ago I liked my music really loud, the louder the better.

Nowdays my 3 tube amps are: 6V6 PP UL @ 10 wpc, SEPentode EL34 @ 9 wpc and my favorite amp is 300B @ 8 wpc. I use SS amps for sub duty only.

I like high efficiency spkrs run by low powered tube amps in a smallish damped room!

Just my 2 cents worth!

Regards, Ron
    JBL Pro for home use!

Its called growing UP , not old !

Quote Originally Posted by spkrman57 View Post
    Years ago I liked my music really loud, the louder the better.

Nowdays my 3 tube amps are: 6V6 PP UL @ 10 wpc, SEPentode EL34 @ 9 wpc and my favorite amp is 300B @ 8 wpc. I use SS amps for sub duty only.

I like high efficiency spkrs run by low powered tube amps in a smallish damped room!

Just my 2 cents worth!

Regards, Ron
    Now I'm wet

Quote Originally Posted by pos View Post
    http://www.sonicstudio.com/amarra/productoverview.html

$695 for a software media player
    C'mon, that can't be right?!!
    How do you say " BIT TORRENT" in French ?

" What does make me interested is to know how does Lavry DA10 sound or don't sound as some would say describing good DAC's."

You will find a lot of them for sale the technology is 15 years old now ...

http://www.wyred4sound.com/webapps/s..._groupid=18157

http://www.m2tech.biz/young.html

IMHO very good value for money !

Quote Originally Posted by timc View Post
    That the Array sounds harsh at high levels is new to me. I have driven them to extreme (in my ears) levels, and everything was still smooooth. Are you sure you are not listening to other shortcommings in your system (or room). Personally i would be skeptical at running a relativly cheap PA amplifier on that horn. It's ridicilously revealing.

I have the Arrays. I have noticed a profound change in presentation since I switched to a bit better electronics than I had before. I agree with timc, give these speakers high current ( as well as high power) and they will be able to put smiles on the people at your parties. As a matter of fact, the clean sound of these speakers (should) amaze you.

FWIW, my Arrays do have a bit of 'vibration'-(non audible) but IDGAF.

Just a little update, I received a new pair of the Arrays.

What a surprise, looking into the box through the reflex port I noticed that the front baffle has dry, hard bitumen applied on the inside wall, while the old ones had nothing, just plain MDF with no damping material at all.

I guess the box should resonate much less now!

Be right back, gotta do some testing!

Quote Originally Posted by dcolak View Post
    Just a little update, I received a new pair of the Arrays.

What a surprise, looking into the box through the reflex port I noticed that the front baffle has dry, hard bitumen applied on the inside wall, while the old ones had nothing, just plain MDF with no damping material at all.

I guess the box should resonate much less now!

Be right back, gotta do some testing!
    An update of an update.

The enclosures are resonating as always, front baffle in tune with the woofer.

Is there a reason not to have any damping foam on the inside of the enclosure's front baffle?

Thread Information