Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stereo 2.1 Preamps

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    I'm only saying I'm not planning on running a sub. Otherwise I'd like all those modern features on today's pre-amps. I wasn't the one that brought up the two-channel Emotiva XDA-1, I was just commenting. Sort of thought it fit the thread though.

HDMI would be nice since it appears to be heading the way of USB in terms of its ubiquity as a standard for connectivity. I remember my first iMac back in 1998 and everyone wondered why it had that odd USB "plug" (and no floppy drive) . . .

Okay, forgetting the HDMI . . . why would the XDA-1 not make a good front-end in a stereo system? Just because it's inexpensive? Is there some edict I missed that said a good DAC has to begin at $1000 and can't offer normal pre-amp controls? Seems like an interesting combo but maybe I should take that to a thread for digital stereo pre-amps?
    You forgot to quote this: " "

I'm thinking that HDMI, messed up as it is by the HDMI Founders group's typical cadre of corporate morons in suits, still has a lot of advantages for stereo and stereo bass-managed systems going forward, since the capable and brilliant engineers behind it are making it possible for source material to advance.

Sure, it doesn't help the older stuff, which is already limited by the technology that produced it. Coax/toslink/whatever is sufficient for that, but why place the ceiling in the past?

I'm sitting here looking at my three-month old 27" iMac and wondering about the Thunderbolt interface that I don't have... well, something new will come to preamps soon, I bet, and if I could get an HDMI or Thunderbolt interface on it with a high quality DAC that allowed bass management, why I'd be in line to test it out. Even if it sold under $1000 and had a plain face.
    Out.

it has HDMI ....... but not for $ 1000 complete with the 32bit sabre .... as is the Mtech 2 young dac

http://www.wyred4sound.com/webapps/s...find_groupid=0

The iMac uses a nice wolfson DAC .... but as the wise and knowing have posted many times - its the output - stage that holds the key .

There is a wealth of info on digital-analog interfaces out there on the web . This forum predominately informs those interested in vintage 2 channel products of a specific make .

HDMI ...... do they use HDMI in studios or USB ? Personally , I'm interested in studio technology and its applications within 2 channel home audio ,not over-priced Video cables ,ie HDMI .... just look at the price difference between USB and HDMI . Also, WHAT, is wrong with the tried and proven digital cables already available on the market Toslink, Coax and XLR ?

Rich

Anybody have any experience with the Parasound New Classic Model 2100 Preamplifier? I'm kind of leaning toward trying to find a used one or a demo.

Quote Originally Posted by Audiobeer View Post
    Anybody have any experience with the Parasound New Classic Model 2100 Preamplifier? I'm kind of leaning toward trying to find a used one or a demo.

Ive used it for quite some time. In my ears it sound a bit thin and harsh (like the whole NC series). It's not bad for its price and functionality, but the performance is very average imo.
    2213 + 2435HPL w/aquaplas + H9800 (Matsj edition)

Thanks Timc, what amp are you using?

Thanks Timc, what amp are you using?
    None at the moment. We had it in the shop were i worked before. I tried it with several sources, amplifiers and speakers. It sounded at its best when paired with speakers that are a little laidback. Affordable Tannoy and B&W models worked very well. On Klipsch reference it was pure torture when played loud.

On the earlier ones there were trouble with bad pots. We had 2 come in for trouble with the balance control. This is supposed to have been fixed on the second production run.
    2213 + 2435HPL w/aquaplas + H9800 (Matsj edition)

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    I beleive that it is directly tied to the data rates on the combination of the new uncompressed Audio formats and of course the Blueray video. When you are doing 2 channel only I doubt it's needed at all. I would think a Coax/Toslink would have enough through put.

Rob
    Indeed Toslink has bags of bandwidth and only starts to run out os steam with the new audio formats. Best thing with optical though, no ground loops and no EMI.

Allan.

Off Topic but more useful than most...

Quote Originally Posted by Allanvh5150 View Post
    Best thing with optical though, no ground loops and no EMI.

Allan.
    Indeed!

We frequently use optical in ground loop prone systems. In the more resolving systems it never sounds as good as S/PDIF, but if you have a ground loop losing the hum is worth the performance hit, and many systems are not that resolving anyway.

Widget

there is a dealer here that will sell his demo (never powered up) Parasound P3 preamp for a very good price ...PM me if interested , wont publicly post the price.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Bluray MCH music

So I recently picked up four AIX multichannel Bluray discs that also have hi-res stereo mixes on them. I'd like an HDMI-capable, bass-managed pre. Has one come out yet?

Searching...
    Out.

It seems to be getting closer...

http://signalpathint.com/index.php/G...fications.html

but no hdmi. The input to the ESS DAC inside should be capable of supporting an I2S DSD stream though...
    Just need the right "A-dapter" kit (which probably would break some Digital Millenium Copyright rules...).

Has anyone heard this unit in person? or a demo of the integrated amp version that's coming out?

...and Dome, that Grand Pre has blue LEDs.

I have not heard it, but I have been very impressed with the earlier offerings from Peach Tree Audio.

Widget

...and Dome, that Grand Pre has blue LEDs
    ... what did I do!? sigh... at least you can turn the lights off easily.

I read this thread with a bit of interest on the title of a 2.1 pre. Currently using a Marantz SC7S2 as such(as it is supports my needs). I can only use the JBL Array 1400/1500 sub with RCA connections. I am not complaining.

I am very curious why some (main writers) on this forum SEEM to dislike blue lights. Damn. It is almost insulting to the people who have a goddamn clock radio w/blue lights. Who gives a Fuc*? I certainly don't. (although this post may seem like I do)

However, McIntosh (for one) has some great gear. My Marantz reference system has 'em, who gives a *uck?

Another thing:

I think the mentality of dissing the construction, price tag and looks of some GEAR is way off. Why have superior (K2) speakers without upgrading the electronics. I did. Even with the Arrays. My findings? Amazing upgrade in the performance of the speakers. After all, garbage in, garbage out.

Yes...even with the mighty K2"s.

Quote Originally Posted by tom1040 View Post
    I am very curious why some (main writers) on this forum SEEM to dislike blue lights. Damn. It is almost insulting to the people who have a goddamn clock radio w/blue lights. Who gives a Fuc*? I certainly don't. (although this post may seem like I do)
    It has nothing to do with blue lights, but what's attached to them that draws the ire here.

Another thing:

I think the mentality of dissing the construction, price tag and looks of some GEAR is way off. Why have superior (K2) speakers without upgrading the electronics. I did. Even with the Arrays. My findings? Amazing upgrade in the performance of the speakers. After all, garbage in, garbage out.

Yes...even with the mighty K2"s.

He did, just not with gear that sports blue lights.

Thread Information