Thread: Stereo 2.1 Preamps

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Stereo 2.1 Preamps

The ATI amplifier thread started to veer toward preamps, so here's a thread to continue that discussion.

I'm currently using old pre/pros for stereo duty in three systems.

Citation 5.0 + Denon DVD2900 + JBL DX-1 + Hafler SR2300 (2) +JBL XPL200A (2)

JBL Synthesis® SDP-5 + Oppo 981H + JBL Synthesis® S650 + JBL S/2600 (2) + JBL Synthesis® S3S (2)

Outlaw 990 + Oppo BDP-83SE + ATI 2003 (2) + JBL K2 S9900 (2) + JBL SYnthesis® S2S (2)

All three of these somewhat dated pre/pros offer stereo analog and digital input, offer analog bypass and internal DAC conversion, offer analog and digital bass management, and have a ton of features I'll never use in a stereo listening environment.

At the present time, the Citation 5.0 is not using bass management with the XPLs, but I'm definitely using it on the other two systems. I believe it enhances both systems to a discernible degree.

What are the currently available stereo preamps that also allow bass management, and whaich ones have balanced outputs for the mains and the subs? One thing that makes the Outlaw 990 a great fit with the K2s and ATI amps is its balanced outputs including two subwoofer balanced outs.

I see Emotiva had a stereo preamp that sort of fit the bill, but it's sold out and a new unit is under development.
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    I see Emotiva had a stereo preamp that sort of fit the bill, but it's sold out and a new unit is under development.
    From what I've heard through the grapevine... no personal experience, their stuff makes the newer Harman Kardon stuff look pretty good.

I don't have any experience with 2 channel gear with bass management... does it even exist? It must be a pretty small niche. The true analog multi-channel 5.1 and 7.1 preamps are even a pretty small niche. I think if you must have bass management then this would be your best bet... personally I prefer the simpler approach... a basic two channel preamp.

Widget

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't 'bass management' just the ability to direct
    an LFE channel (e.g., movie effects, and I suppose on some multi-channel music discs)
    to the appropriate speakers ... such as a subwoofer?

vs. having an adequately configurable sub crossover...

Seems like for most 2.1 systems, the latter would be sufficient (though perhaps not
    as convenient, being a separate box with more cabling and levels to set... and probably
    no remote ).

This opens up the option of using quite a few 2ch preamps that do have multiple
    outputs and often balanced connectors.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't 'bass management' just the ability to direct
    an LFE channel (e.g., movie effects, and I suppose on some multi-channel music discs)
    to the appropriate speakers ... such as a subwoofer?

vs. having an adequately configurable sub crossover...

Seems like for most 2.1 systems, the latter would be sufficient (though perhaps not
    as convenient, being a separate box with more cabling and levels to set... and probably
    no remote ).

This opens up the option of using quite a few 2ch preamps that do have multiple
    outputs and often balanced connectors.
    Come to think of it, there were McIntosh preamps with a center channel output that would sorta kinda do this... (C22, C28 and possibly others) they have a separate trim pot so you would have some control on the mono channel's gain. Obviously both of these predate remotes... and neither one sound as good in my opinion as several other contenders in the straight up 2-channel world.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    From what I've heard through the grapevine... no personal experience, their stuff makes the newer Harman Kardon stuff look pretty good.

I don't have any experience with 2 channel gear with bass management... does it even exist? It must be a pretty small niche. The true analog multi-channel 5.1 and 7.1 preamps are even a pretty small niche. I think if you must have bass management then this would be your best bet... personally I prefer the simpler approach... a basic two channel preamp.

Widget
    I've been looking through preamps the last few weeks, and the Emotiva USP-1 hit my radar. For me, the only real design drawbacks are lack of balanced outputs and tone controls. I searched through the audio and AV forums I'm aware of, and there were a lot of positives and a few "meh"s. I don't recall anyone having QC issues with this particular piece.

Along with the design limits (really tradeoffs) my only other reservation is that I try to limit the $$ I send to Ch1na, though Emotiva at least designs the equipment here.

I have to say that the matching XDA-1 DAC is pretty intriguing as well.
    "Zobel is as zobel does"

Re: Emotiva

...and they look like set pieces from Tron Legacy (IMHO).

(not judging, just noting...)

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    ...and they look like set pieces from Tron Legacy (IMHO).

(not judging, just noting...)

Personally I have an issue with their name... but then I never liked Acura Integra either.

Widget

Why not get a used Lexicon MC8B/12B? They go quite cheap if you don't need the HD models.
    2213 + 2435HPL w/aquaplas + H9800 (Matsj edition)

Thread Information