Thread: A call to all 2225H owners (need Info)

A call to all 2225H owners (need Info)

I would like to know if the compliance (surround) of the 2225H you have has any doping or coating, I have here 6 new kits and they have some sort of clear silicone coating, not a goo, but some kind of rubberish stuff.

As far as I can remember, the surrounds of 2225s and E140 had some kind of coating but I may be mistaken, as I saw yesterday some 2225 that appear original but they have a completely dry compliance. The owner of those says he has other 2225 and they are all the same, even one NOS recone kit.

Dry surround

I must be mistaken, as I could have swore they were always coated.

Your experience? Enquiring mind wants to know

Post a picture ( please ) showing what you're referring to .

I suspect the discrepancy ( between you & the other owner ) is maybe just one of semantics or degree ( as to what a "shiny" covering looks like ).
    Also, I'm assuming you are talking about real, bonafide JBL recones kits . Right ?

FYI, I own maybe 2 dozen, 2225H woofs and the two I just looked at, had a inconspicuous "clear-coat" impregnation of the woven fabric, double M-roll surround .

More conspicuous ( when seen in the right light ) , is the shiny clear-coat ring, that's @ 3/8" wide, running around the outer circumference of the cone ( located between the M-Roll surround and the most outlying rib on the cone proper ).

<> EarlK

The layer of "goo" that Oliver is talking about is definitively not subtle. It seems as if the suspension had been coated with honey ;-).

I found that the Mexico-produced recone kits have a much different finish than the old US-made ones. Per exemple, you can also clearly see the two rivets in the cone, thru which the breaded copper wires go thru. While on my NOS JBL cones (in their original box, as well as all the other 2225h) there's some of that black goo/glue on the rivets (if indeed there were rivets underneath).

Here are some pics for 1 of my many 2225H woofs . The backside of this cone indicates that it has been reconed .

The "honey coating" is subtle but still quite obvious .

FWIW, none of my 2225H woofers have seen the inside of a bar ( having been used exclusively for Corporate Events for the last 20 years ) .

As such, they haven't been "weathered" by bar smoke or even excessive usage .
    - I figure they represent a fine example of what an almost new 2225H (USA) cone should look like from the 90s .

One can see that even this ( @ 15 year old kit ) clearly shows a shiny coating on the surround .

<> cheers

ps ; These things really are works of art , aren't they ?
    Attached Images Attached Images     

The pictures seem to reflect the same condition as my own drivers: light reflection on the suspension and shinnier clear-like on the perimeter of the cone itself. Oliver's suspension (if I remember well from yesterday) seemed to have been "bathed in honey"

Perhaps Oliver could grab a camera a share a few shots.

BTW Oliver and I made an intersting find when trying to separate original from aftermarket cone kits. We did spend a long time trying to decide if my pair of non-standard sounding 2225h were indeed tired original drivers, or aftermarket recones. It was very difficult. We found nonetheless an interesting detail.

CSI: JBL 2225 assignment ;-)

When laid flat on its back (on the magnet), looking at the spider. The first ripple, right after the flat surface where it is glued to the basket, shall go up (toward the cone), while an aftermarket recone kit goes down (away from the cone).

Pictures!

Lee, yours don't look like that, yours are absolutely dry and show no reflection what so ever, take some pictures too so we can compare.

Those are fresh cones, guaranteed original, directly from JBL to me. However they're made by Pedro, not Johnny

Name:  DSCG3706.jpg
Views: 660
Size:  134.1 KB
    Name:  DSCG3707.jpg
Views: 560
Size:  112.3 KB

I was talking about the four others that are installed in the 4520s. I didn't bother looking at the ones you saw on Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee in Montreal View Post
    I was talking about the four others that are installed in the 4520s. I didn't bother looking at the ones you saw on Saturday.
    Right, then OK.

The ones you brought here have many things that make me scratch my head
    And if you say they sound different, we can safely come to a conclusion...

Thread Information