Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spend how much on (used) modern speakers to upgrade from JBL L65As?

Spend how much on (used) modern speakers to upgrade from JBL L65As?

Hi everybody

I have a pair of JBL L65As that I run with a Bryston 2BSST. While they definitely make a "fun" sound, especially when you turn them up a bit, I find myself constantly tweaking the presence/brilliance controls in an attempt to flatten out the response, and they don't seem to sound so good at lower volumes.

So my question is this: what kind of modern speaker would be a definite upgrade from the Jubals, providing a more even frequency response and a better sound at low volumes, without sacrificing some of the ability to go loud?

I guess I'll get more bang-for-my-buck going second-hand/used.
    As an example of the kind of thing I've been looking at:
    PMC OB1
    Focal 927BE
    Dynaudio Focus 220
    Spendor A6

These are all in the £1000-£3000 range (used prices in the UK/Europe) but I have no idea if they would be a worthwile upgrade from the JBLs. And seeing as I'm looking at the used market, it's not very easy for me to get them in for an audition!

Maybe someone with direct experience of Jubals alongside modern speakers similar to those listed above could comment on the kind of differences I might expect?

I mostly play soul, funk, jazz-funk, electronica and some rock/pop.

None those speakers are going to sound like L65's ..... there is a few Vintage JBL speakers to be had for under 3k that will we-we all over what you have and what your looking at ! ..... 4430 , 4435, L300 , 4343, 4341, or DIY something .

You may need to upgrade your amp though .

In fact , none of the newer speakers you suggest will give you an authentic representation of the type of music you prefer !

Good luck , Rich

Quote Originally Posted by misterharrison View Post
    These are all in the £1000-£3000 range (used prices in the UK/Europe) but I have no idea if they would be a worthwile upgrade from the JBLs. And seeing as I'm looking at the used market, it's not very easy for me to get them in for an audition!
    I think Rich is absolutely right, any of the ones he listed would be a huge step forward from the Jubals. That is a pretty good bit of change, for that kind of dough you should be able to get something that you will be really happy with.

I would also add the 4313B to that list, they really quite affordable and they sound fantastic. They can be had anywhere from $200.00 to $700.00 depending on their condition.

Have fun and let us know what you wind up with.
    Just Play Music.

Just some ideas from France . JBL 4315 "STUDIO MONITOR" 4 VOIES VOIR MES ACCUPHASE

Germany, JBL 250TI Highend Lautsprecher, amerikanische Version!!

vintage JBL 4333 Studio Monitor Professional Series

JBL 4730A , Professional Soundpower A Series, 600 Watt!

Or build a 2-way with SOTA parts ..... you need a box with a 15" in it , crossover , horn and a mid-high driver ... parts = around 4000 euro ..... part funded by the sale of Jubals

just a few ideas , Rich

Hi everybody

I have a pair of JBL L65As that I run with a Bryston 2BSST. While they definitely make a "fun" sound, especially when you turn them up a bit, I find myself constantly tweaking the presence/brilliance controls in an attempt to flatten out the response, and they don't seem to sound so good at lower volumes.

So my question is this: what kind of modern speaker would be a definite upgrade from the Jubals, providing a more even frequency response and a better sound at low volumes, without sacrificing some of the ability to go loud?

I guess I'll get more bang-for-my-buck going second-hand/used.
    As an example of the kind of thing I've been looking at:
    PMC OB1
    Focal 927BE
    Dynaudio Focus 220
    Spendor A6

Maybe someone with direct experience of Jubals alongside modern speakers similar to those listed above could comment on the kind of differences I might expect?

I mostly play soul, funk, jazz-funk, electronica and some rock/pop.

My vote would go to a completely different speaker. For around £3000 you should be able to get a set of used Array 1000. It won't sound like the L65's, but it will be a giant leap forward.
    2213 + 2435HPL w/aquaplas + H9800 (Matsj edition)

....Altec...

What on earth did I think I was doing, suggesting "other" brands of speaker on the Lansing Heritage forum!

Seriously, though, I appreciate all the suggestions. Finding some of these classic JBL monitors here in Europe can be quite tricky, and the prices are generally significantly higher than in the USA. I mean, there's some guy in Germany trying to sell some Jubals on eBay at the moment and he's asking 3400 euros!

So which of the suggestions so far would be most likely to tick the "sounds-great-at-low-volumes" box?

Or would I be able to achieve that with my L65s by changing the amplifier, perhaps?

What on earth did I think I was doing, suggesting "other" brands of speaker on the Lansing Heritage forum!
    I am glad we have straightened you out!

Seriously though, even though finding JBL (or Altec) in Europe is more difficult than here in California, they are in the homes of Forum members all over Europe and around the world... if you are patient you can find almost anything you want.

As for speaker choices, that is so tough. It has taken me years to find speakers that I really like. I doubt changing amps will completely satisfy you.

Widget

If you go for jazz or pop, I would like to recommend the four-way classic 4343, which I enjoy everyday in a bi-amp mode.
    Music, especially jazz, just comes alive to your ears. I'm afraid it might be a rare find in Europe...

Array 800 + SUB

Mr........

I don't know if he still has them , but Chris at http://www.bigearsaudio.org.uk/ had a pair for around 2000 euro . And a sub to them and you'll be very happy ! Should sound very good with the clean dynamics of the Bryston

Not really affiliated ,but I have done business with him and found the experience a good and honest one

Rich

I personally enjoy Altec 515/288g/k two way setup. I think the mid range is untouchable. However, an A7 cabinet with a large multicell horn is huge and if you have a small livingroom or a wife, the idea is questionable . Also adding a super tweeter like a JBL 2405 and bottom subwoofer really gives the system a kick.

Ive demo'd a lot of speakers and always fall back to Altec. However, its what I like...Its always what you like! Take my suggestions with a grain of salt...a very small grain!

Hmmm, the Jubals are sounding excellent tonight. I hope the neighbours are out...

Maybe an amplifier change to something warmer would solve my low-volume issues?

Perhaps an amp change will help. I was listening to some random amps for the past week or so. Finally got back on the MC275, what what a beautiful world I was missing

Quote Originally Posted by Progneta View Post
    Perhaps an amp change will help. I was listening to some random amps for the past week or so. Finally got back on the MC275, what what a beautiful world I was missing
    Driving Jubals? Has it got enough grunt to keep a grip on those 12 inchers?

Driving Jubals? Has it got enough grunt to keep a grip on those 12 inchers?
    I think an MC275 should have plenty of Cojones for driving the Jubals. McIntosh typically under-rates every piece of gear they make, and the 275 typically puts out about 90wpc. Should be more than enough power to turn the Jubals inside out if you chose.

Bryston amps, while very good, are said by many to be on the sterile side.

Whereas Mcintosh, even their Solid State offerings are more commonly more lush, and warmer sounding Amps.

I've been using McIntosh for years, and still own the original L-65 Jubal many years too (4 of them)
    The JBL 4430 was IMO a very nice step up. I don't miss what the 077 Tweeter could do, with the 4430 in my present system.

And the 4430 is a very efficient speaker, that an MC-275 will not be inadequate to drive them. While they can handle much more power than the L-65/Jubal, their larger size doesn't equate to being more power hungry. In fact, it seemed like it took less watts in my own system to bring the 4430 up to thunderous levels versus the L-65. Mark

Thread Information