Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Acoustical Foam Egg and Multi Wave

Hello All

So what's the deal. Is this a blog or what posting every 2-10 minutes?? Do you have this confused with Twitter?? If you are borred I can understand but this website is not right venue. Can you tone it down please?? Why don't you post something when you actually try some treatments??

For those watching if you don't like the content why do you keep responding?? A push here will guarantee a push back.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    Hello All

So what's the deal. Is this a blog or what posting every 2-10 minutes?? Do you have this confused with Twitter?? If you are borred I can understand but this website is not right venue. Can you tone it down please?? Why don't you post something when you actually try some treatments??

For those watching if you don't like the content why do you keep responding?? A push here will guarantee a push back.

Rob
    Rob
    I’m happy pleased to be calm I’ve had nice day out, and then I get some idiot Eaulive and hjames turning it upside down. Please, please, please can you kindly remove the posts above! Thank you.

Rob
    I’m happy pleased to be calm I’ve had nice day out, and then I get some idiot Eaulive and hjames turning it upside down. Please, please, please can you kindly remove the posts above! Thank you.
    Did you read and think about what I posted?

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    Did you read and think about what I posted?

Rob
    Rob
    I did read it.

I like options from those who ether have some of this foam treatment. But I’m willing to hold out till Rich has something going and follow him.

For what its worth that foam is not worth the candle , it's too thin. Proper acoustic foam tiles are 3-4" thick or greater and also quite dense.
    I know you have skin issues so this might not be on the cards but if you get 2" thick Rockwool slabs ( they are 600 x 1200 ) and build a 2" x 2" frame around each one and then cover with grille cloth or similar you will have a very effective room treatment. 6 should do it in a room your size.

http://www.insulationexpress.co.uk/i...rwa45-slab.htm

£27.83 gives you 9 slabs at 50 mm , should be plenty.

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by macaroonie View Post
    For what its worth that foam is not worth the candle , it's too thin. Proper acoustic foam tiles are 3-4" thick or greater and also quite dense.
    I know you have skin issues so this might not be on the cards but if you get 2" thick Rockwool slabs ( they are 600 x 1200 ) and build a 2" x 2" frame around each one and then cover with grille cloth or similar you will have a very effective room treatment. 6 should do it in a room your size.

Then a layer of cheaper foam I mean cheap from shop foam that's used in seating or other at 1 to 1 ½ inches think with these foam tiles glued onto it that would bring it within 2 ½ to 3 inches.

50mm not too bad at the price. I'd use a suit for handling rockwool or fibreglasss.

Black Mountain !

Lambs wool is a bit more expensive ,but worth the extra with your skin issues . You can also get the batts pre-cut to 600mm x 600mm . Cut some corner to corner and you have Bass traps too !

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by richluvsound View Post
    Lambs wool is a bit more expensive ,but worth the extra with your skin issues . You can also get the batts pre-cut to 600mm x 600mm . Cut some corner to corner and you have Bass traps too !

Rich
    Baaaahaaa.

I have buit proper broadcast studios with the Rockwool. On the inner walls they are lined 100% with this material , installed behind an open weave cloth. It is done this way to compensate for the large glass window and the hard surfaces about the place ( Mixer / console /interview table although the latter is normally covered with carpet ). Its the way to go. Hang them like pictures and you can move em around till you get good results..

http://www.clydebroadcast.com/img/sh...%20Panel_S.pdf

http://www.clydebroadcast.com/clyde-...dcast-c-4-p-14

Ignore the % wall covering that you will see on the PDF , their needs are somewhat more critical than yours. Those panels are exactly what I recommended to you as far as construction

Foam damping is the enemy of good acoustics

Not that it doesn't have it's place in acoustical design, but people who go that route have no idea what they are doing. More damping, especially thin layers do more to harm the sound than anything else. You literally kill your acoustics. What you need is acoustic 'frequency' data related to the exact material specification you are installing and these must be strategically placed or even integrated into the walls, sometimes between barrier strips of wood.

BUT, DON'T EVEN ATTEMPT THIS. I have owned 3 recording studios and the only one that turned out right was the one designed by a studio architectural firm (Pilsner Group)... and I do know a bit about the science of acoustics.

A BETTER SOLUTION

Build yourself a few light weight sound baffles that you can move around the room so that you can alter your acoustics and experiment with. The baffles can be cheap as they are only temporary or you can make them look attractive with decorative cloth covering. You will LEARN a lot about room acoustics with this exercise. Bass traps and standing waves are a whole other level of education.

Here is an example of movable baffles from my last studio.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Baffles are a nice idea but Ash's room is not very big. If you put one baffle in there he would not be able to see the screen.

Perhaps a bit out of topic, but I use similar egg crate foam panels from Walmart to dampen the inside of my speakers. Easy to cut and install, and there will be no deadly fiberglass bits going thru my lungs and staying there for ever.

i highly suggest you refrain from purchasing products until you take the time to understand (and measure) the specific issues in your room you need to address, and which types of treatments are most effective to resolve said issues.

all of the products (links) you've referenced to are absolute garbage.

HF content contains very little energy and thus are easy to attenuate.
    why on earth would you wish to absorb HF content from the room, leaving mid and LF ringing --- unless you wish for a muddy sounding room?

and those products will not diffuse. hell, those slats will not even be 'seen' by frequencies larger than the slat dimensions.

please, stick to the proven methods of DIY treatments, and don't buy any products based on how "sexy" they look. oye...

where are your measurements detailing the specific issues you are looking to address?

those products are the types of things that destroy the SNR of proper room treatments.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee in Montreal View Post
    Perhaps a bit out of topic, but I use similar egg crate foam panels from Walmart to dampen the inside of my speakers. Easy to cut and install, and there will be no deadly fiberglass bits going thru my lungs and staying there for ever.
    more misinformation regarding rigid fibgerglass.

sigh,

6 of them should do in a room your size? do cure what, exactly? you're recommending a solution without knowing specifically what the issues are he needs to address?

are the 6 panels to solve modal issues (wave), or specular early reflections?

Quote Originally Posted by Akira View Post
    Not that it doesn't have it's place in acoustical design, but people who go that route have no idea what they are doing. More damping, especially thin layers do more to harm the sound than anything else. You literally kill your acoustics. What you need is acoustic 'frequency' data related to the exact material specification you are installing and these must be strategically placed or even integrated into the walls, sometimes between barrier strips of wood.

BUT, DON'T EVEN ATTEMPT THIS. I have owned 3 recording studios and the only one that turned out right was the one designed by a studio architectural firm (Pilsner Group)... and I do know a bit about the science of acoustics.

A BETTER SOLUTION

Build yourself a few light weight sound baffles that you can move around the room so that you can alter your acoustics and experiment with. The baffles can be cheap as they are only temporary or you can make them look attractive with decorative cloth covering. You will LEARN a lot about room acoustics with this exercise. Bass traps and standing waves are a whole other level of education.

Here is an example of movable baffles from my last studio.
    Interesting......the most sound controlled room that I have ever been in was completely lined with foam. The room was so dead it was damned uncomfortable and I could actually hear my heart beating. Foam doesnt work? I think it works pretty well.

Allan.

Thread Information