Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ATI Amplifiers

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post

What I wanted:
    • First class build quality
    • plenty of power to drive and control the efficient K2s
    • long warranty and available service
    • ability to deliver full power across the full bandwidth with all channels driven
    • ability to run off one dedicated 20 Amp circuit without tripped breakers and whole house brown outs
    • balanced inputs
    • remote triggers

What I did not want:
    • expensive billet faceplate adding $$$$ to the price
    • proprietary, hard-to-find connectors
    • big power ratings that only apply to one channel at 1kHz
    • fans
    • a plethora of lights or illuminted meters or Cylon-inspired eyes
    • 220-230V circuit requirements
    • shelf-scratching, floor-scratching, or component-scratching sharp feet
    • enclosure colors or finishes that demand attention: "Look at me!"
    • jewelry
    Those are great lists with a lot of practicality and thought behind them. The images on the website don't really show a lot, so I downloaded the brochure. They most definitely meet your criteria above in all respects. The pix in the website make them look very industrial, but the closeups in the brochure show the face plates to be quite attractive, just not flashy.
    "Zobel is as zobel does"

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Paul View Post
    Those are great lists with a lot of practicality and thought behind them. The images on the website don't really show a lot, so I downloaded the brochure. They most definitely meet your criteria above in all respects. The pix in the website make them look very industrial, but the closeups in the brochure show the face plates to be quite attractive, just not flashy.
    The first time I saw the brochure was in the packet of materials that came inside the sealed box. I tossed it aside at first, but looked at it the other day and was fascinated by "An Interview with Morris Kessler" and "ATI Manufacturing: No Shortcuts, No compromises"

There's a picture there of the transformer winding rig and a bunch of the transformers. Look at the worker's hand to get a sense of the size of the rig. You could put your head inside it--not that I'd recommend it.

For interested parties: http://ati-amp.com/manuals/ATI_Brochure_2005.pdf
    Out.

There's a picture there of the transformer winding rig and a bunch of the transformers. Look at the worker's hand to get a sense of the size of the rig. You could put your head inside it--not that I'd recommend it.

For interested parties: http://ati-amp.com/manuals/ATI_Brochure_2005.pdf
    I saw them running transformers when I was there. The guy placing taps while it was running was good. You have to be precise and quick, or loose a finger.

I ran across a store front that had retail prices listed - not cheap, but one helluva value.

Almost afraid to ask, because the answer likely to cost me $$$$ - do you think this amp would be a good match sonically for a mere XPL-200A?
    "Zobel is as zobel does"

I ran across a store front that had retail prices listed - not cheap, but one helluva value.
    83% off looks like a good deal. No HDMI??
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    83% off looks like a good deal. No HDMI??
    That's what had me leery about ATI last time TiDome mentioned their Pre/Procs on killer sale last year,
    I think it was around the time I shipped that funky Emotiva UMC-1 back.

Its probably fine for pure music only use, non-DVD and that sort of thing - but I was hesitant to rush into anything without HDMI at this date -
    no HDMI was a deal breaker for me, for sure! And with the bad-acting HDMI in the Emotiva - I had already risked being burned once.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

I finally came to the conclusion that I need to keep 2 channel and HT somewhat separate in order to enjoy both. When my home addition is complete and I can hook everything back up, I'm going to use a HT receiver for TV & movies and my separates for 2 channel service. I'm going to run R & L outputs from the AVR to my 2 channel preamp and thus to my XPL200A's. Its the best compromise I can come up with that doesn't use two completely separate systems. 2 channel is my main interest and where I'm willing to spend more.

At some point in time there will be processor I can afford that will give me the features I want as well as the 2 channel quality I desire. As soon as that happens, HDMI will be made obsolete by the industry and it will start all over again.
    "Zobel is as zobel does"

So many variables...

My XPL200As are running active bi-amp using the DX-1 Greg Timbers built for me through a Citation 5.0 to Hafler SR2300 pro amps. Since the DX-1 and Citation are single-ended RCAs, I have to use an adapter to hook up the Haflers. The source is a Denon DVD 2900 used as an analog stereo out. It sounds great!

The K2s are passive bi-amp running through an Outlaw 990 in bypass mode fed by an Oppo BDP-83SE using the upgraded analog outs and the sub out. The Outlaw outputs L, R, and two subs via balanced outs to balanced ins on the ATIs. The L and R have balanced Y cables. It sounds great!

Now, If I put the ATis on the XPL200s... then I'd have to buy more ATI amps.

I guess in a way I'm saying that old pre-pros with superior analog stages work great in my experience, even if the surround processing and fake ambience modes are never used again. Plus, they'll both accept phono, and external DACs, and rainbows and unicorns.
    Out.

Plus, they'll both accept phono, and external DACs, and rainbows and unicorns.
    Hey Dome, next time you are up here I could use a hand getting my rainbows and unicorns phase coherent.

On a slightly more serious tack, I agree about the better pre-pro analog comment, though if one is going two-channel, a real two channel preamp with an even better analog design is probably the better answer. There are plenty of really excellent 2 channel preamps out there and some are surprisingly affordable.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    There are plenty of really excellent 2 channel preamps out there and some are surprisingly affordable.
    Would it be considered off-topic if you were to elaborate and name names? Especially if they have remote capability.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    did ATI just purchase BGW's inventory or the intellectual design rights too ? How close were BGW's designs and ATI's after purchase ?

the web does note tho that the newer BGW gear doesn't measure up to the 1980's offerings.
    nobody has an answer, I started searching and didnt find it, but this was interesting

"BGW is also an outstanding OEM supplier to many leading firms including NASA, the U.S. Navy and 3M Corporation, for whom we have designed and manufactured special audio amplifiers and customized computer systems."

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    so, what got replaced & improved upon ?
    He hasn't finished describing the loading dock... be patient he'll eventually get to the point.
    Widget
    guess not

I finally came to the conclusion that I need to keep 2 channel and HT somewhat separate in order to enjoy both. When my home addition is complete and I can hook everything back up, I'm going to use a HT receiver for TV & movies and my separates for 2 channel service. I'm going to run R & L outputs from the AVR to my 2 channel preamp and thus to my XPL200A's. Its the best compromise I can come up with that doesn't use two completely separate systems. 2 channel is my main interest and where I'm willing to spend more.
    in my HT there is only room for 1 large pair of mains , but movie watching is in a different spot than 2 channel listening ...hated readjusting the AVR to listen to 2ch music.

I now have the AVR & Adcom system sharing the mains.....bought a 4 set speaker selector box , but only have the one pair hooked to it....the box's value is that it will take and switch 2 amps.
    So ONLY the 2 main channels of the 7.1 go to the box , along with the 2 of the Adcom , works like a charm
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Would it be considered off-topic if you were to elaborate and name names? Especially if they have remote capability.
    It is and we have several threads on this topic...

Widget

Hey Dome, next time you are up here I could use a hand getting my rainbows and unicorns phase coherent.

On a slightly more serious tack, I agree about the better pre-pro analog comment, though if one is going two-channel, a real two channel preamp with an even better analog design is probably the better answer. There are plenty of really excellent 2 channel preamps out there and some are surprisingly affordable.

Widget
    It is and we have several threads on this topic...

Widget

I'd say it's time for a new thread on preamps then.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...267#post313267

EDT: There's no preamp or pre/pro forum? Okay, Miscellaneous I guess.
    Out.

I had to chuckle when I read the brochure, in particular, the part describing how the ampifiers are fully ballanced. One side does the positive part of the waveform and the other side does the negative.....really?

Quote Originally Posted by Allanvh5150 View Post
    I had to chuckle when I read the brochure, in particular, the part describing how the ampifiers are fully ballanced. One side does the positive part of the waveform and the other side does the negative.....really?

Actually that's true.
    In a balanced line there's two signals of equal amplitude 180º apart. Usually one is labelled "+" and the other one "-", even if their respective voltage can go from positive to negative against each other.
    In a normal amplifier, these two signals are summed and turned into one signal which has it's amplitude related to ground, or neutral, this signal is then amplified and deliverd to the speaker through the red binding post in the back, the black one is the neutral, chassis, or ground.

In those amplifiers, if I understand well, there is one amplifier for each of the signals and these signals are fed to the speaker directly, none of the binding post is grounded and both carry voltage, kind of like a bridged amplifier.

At least that's what I make of it.

I'm not saying it's better either

Thread Information