Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Sagging Spider Repair?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    chandler, az
    Posts
    10

    Sagging Spider Repair?

    Folks i've researched this forum for the issue of sagging spiders and the general consensus has been recone. I have a K130 with a sagging spider and whats weird is that i can raise the cone gently from beneath to the the proper position and when i release it feels more like the surround is snapping back to a sagged position rather than the spider having any effect on the sagging. Is this more of a surround issue? And of coarse is there any recoarse other than a recone? which is, for me, very expensive.

    Also, can you recharge the magnet with the cone in place or do you have to remove the cone,spider etc. to recharge a speaker magnet? Thx for any help offered.

  2. #2
    Senior Member edgewound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    2,704
    Quote Originally Posted by adamsapple View Post
    Folks i've researched this forum for the issue of sagging spiders and the general consensus has been recone. I have a K130 with a sagging spider and whats weird is that i can raise the cone gently from beneath to the the proper position and when i release it feels more like the surround is snapping back to a sagged position rather than the spider having any effect on the sagging. Is this more of a surround issue? And of coarse is there any recoarse other than a recone? which is, for me, very expensive.

    Also, can you recharge the magnet with the cone in place or do you have to remove the cone,spider etc. to recharge a speaker magnet? Thx for any help offered.
    You can try heating up the spider with a heat gun or blow dryer. The heat will somewhat reactivate the resin in the spider and can often times bring back some "memory" to the original shape. If the driver was well pounded on with lots of low end the fabric itself might be stretched to the point of disrepair.

    But....It's worth a shot. Might do some good.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

  3. #3
    Senior Member tom1356's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    124
    If that doesn't work. Dilute some Aleene's Original Tacky Glue with a little water.
    You want a wash you can paint on the spider. Use a cloth between cone and basket to hold the cone in the right position till it dries. It will probably need a second coat.

    http://www.save-on-crafts.com/alortacglu.html

  4. #4
    Senior Member edgewound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    2,704
    Quote Originally Posted by tom1356 View Post
    If that doesn't work. Dilute some Aleene's Original Tacky Glue with a little water.
    You want a wash you can paint on the spider. Use a cloth between cone and basket to hold the cone in the right position till it dries. It will probably need a second coat.

    http://www.save-on-crafts.com/alortacglu.html
    Not to be a stick-in-the-mud or anything....but Aleen's is a water based PVA that will seal the spider trapping heat and adding too much weight in the process...killing any frequency response and sensitivity that might be available from the beaten-up speaker.

    The spider is molded cloth with a solvent based resin.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    chandler, az
    Posts
    10
    thx for help. will give the hair dryer to spider treatment a go a see what happens.

  6. #6
    Senior Member herki the cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    NA
    Posts
    251

    Sagging Spider Repair

    Quote Originally Posted by edgewound View Post
    Not to be a stick-in-the-mud or anything....but Aleen's is a water based PVA that will seal the spider trapping heat and adding too much weight in the process...killing any frequency response and sensitivity that might be available from the beaten-up speaker.

    The spider is molded cloth with a solvent based resin.
    Mr. edgewound;312796, Quick Question: Is it safe to soften the spider solvent based resin with MEK or Toluene and then hold the diaphagm assembly in a neutral centered position while the resin resets__ and then perhaps attempt to suck out any trapped solvent vapors from behind the wet spider __ How would you do this?

    Regards herki the cat

  7. #7
    Senior Member herki the cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    NA
    Posts
    251

    Sagging Spider Repair__ caution with trapped solvent vapors !!

    Quote Originally Posted by herki the cat View Post
    Mr. edgewound;312796, Quick Question: Is it safe to soften the spider solvent based resin with MEK or Toluene and then hold the diaphagm assembly in a neutral centered position while the resin resets__ and then perhaps attempt to suck out any trapped solvent vapors from behind the wet spider __ How would you do this?

    Regards herki the cat
    USE EXTREME CAUTION WITH MEK SOLVENTS __ MEK and other solvents will instanly melt the foam edge of low frequency cone drivers plus the foam plug used by JBL within the magnetic pole piece core of the voice coil. In old drivers this poly urethane plug can be found already in a liquid state and in many cases already flowing into the voice coil gap.

    cheers, herki

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Sagging spider problem
    By ralphs99 in forum Lansing Product Technical Help
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-04-2005, 04:42 AM
  2. String Spider
    By tomt in forum General Audio Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-14-2005, 12:19 PM
  3. New spider
    By Tomas M in forum Lansing Product Technical Help
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-05-2004, 02:23 PM
  4. Replace the spider?
    By Tomas M in forum Lansing Product Technical Help
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-01-2004, 12:50 PM
  5. sagging surrounds
    By Alex Lancaster in forum Lansing Product Technical Help
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-04-2004, 07:47 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •