Thread: A little help needed on 4430-inspired DIY project.

A little help needed on 4430-inspired DIY project.

Hello! I'm a long-time lurker and contributor to other forums, but I'm finally joining up on LH because the crew here is the most knowledgeable about where I want to go next - a pair of DIY "keepers" based somewhat on the JBL 4430 studio monitors.

The 2344A horn is all but unobtainable, so I'm looking for a substitute - hopefully something that can be snagged new or used for under $200 a pair.

I like the idea of a flat front surface and have been checking out the RCF HF94 constant directivity horns. The published polars look pretty good. Though the ad copy claims "loading down to 500 Hz", the published response graphs drop like a stone at about 1 kHz. I'm not sure if this is a consequence of the driver they used for testing or the horn itself. What do you guys think about using them in this project?

I'm not looking to exactly replicate the 4430, but it's my closest point of reference, since I will be building a 2-way system with 2235H woofs paired with similarly-sized cabinets and tuning.

For compression drivers, I'll either get a used pair of 2425 or 2426 or use new Radian drivers. If I go with the RCF horn, I'll have my choice of using either 1" or 1.4" drivers. For a crossover, I've kicked around the idea of using Zilch's version of the N3134, using it as a starting point, designing something different from the ground up, or going active. The latter two options are attractive to me, since I "feel" the 2235 could do better with a lower crossover point. Thoughts? Does this sound good so far?

As far as the 2235H go, I've got a pair of E140 frames being reconed with aftermarket 2235H kits. I've done my homework on this and realize this isn't going to give me a direct equivalent to the 2235H. I'll be able to test parameters on them when they're done and may get to do some semi-anechoic testing when I get the cabs finished.

I realize that both "E140 reconed as 2235H" and "aftermarket kits" are sort of controversial around here. They're what I've got and I'm not trying to re-open either can of worms.

Thanks for any and all help on this. I hope this thread will grow and prosper!

Huh ?

I have 2234 in a 140 basket and it really is sweet . Perhaps its question of the heavier cone bottoming out .

Have you looked at the 2435 + 2235 combo ? I'm slightly bias ,but it is a very good DIY 2-way !

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by richluvsound View Post
    I have 2234 in a 140 basket and it really is sweet . Perhaps its question of the heavier cone bottoming out .

Have you looked at the 2435 + 2235 combo ? I'm slightly bias ,but it is a very good DIY 2-way !
    The E140 has a higher magnetic flux than than is proper to turn into a 2235H. The result will be slightly less low bass and better mid-band efficiency. Close enough for me.

The 2435 would be a great match, I'm sure, but spendy to procure and would limit my lens choices to 1.5" JBL. I'm afraid the combination of both factors put them out of my price range.

Thanks for the input! More!

Winter ,

thats why I chose the combo.... it behaved a lot more like a 1500al ......

Stick around and keep us up-dated . Start a thread and keep going ..... there are horns around here ,but you will have to earn them .

Good luck, Rich

Quote Originally Posted by winters860 View Post
    I realize that both "E140 reconed as 2235H" and "aftermarket kits" are sort of controversial around here. They're what I've got and I'm not trying to re-open either can of worms.
    Awwww c'mon... let's have some fun

Seriously, keep us posted on this project, I would like to see T/S parameters for this E140/AM2235 combo.

Quote Originally Posted by richluvsound View Post
    I have 2234 in a 140 basket and it really is sweet .
    Rich
    It's a K140 Alnico basket which is similar to the 2225/2231/2235 family spec wise.
    The E140 basket has a stronger magnet.

Retraction !

Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    It's a K140 Alnico basket which is similar to the 2225/2231/2235 family spec wise.
    The E140 basket has a stronger magnet.
    "K" I'll get back to the saw dust and resin again

Thanks Guido

Thread Information