Thread: Great clock radio!

RIP 2009

Great clock radio!

Normally I wouldn't post something like this here, but I've been on a quest for a decent clock radio for so long that I thought others might be interested.

FM reception where I live is really poor for the few stations that are important to me - primarily PBS stations, so I can drift to sleep without all the annoying ads. While a little Sherwood receiver I have in my bedroom can pick them up fairly well, (with an antenna wire draped all over the walls), it was far from convenient, (no clock, snooze, etc.). And I've tried 3 other name brand clock radios whose FM reception varied from very poor to non-existant.

Then I came across a review of the Boston Acoustics Recepter clock radio, (digital, 20 presets, etc.), which mentioned that it had both excellent sound and excellent reception. So I picked one up today, (primarily because it's got a 30 day satisfaction guarantee), and hooked it up.

All I can say is WOW!! With its little 3' trailing wire antenna just hanging behind the nightstand, this thing picks up those FM stations better than any of the 3 full-size receivers I have in the house! And it also comes with a coax connection if you've got cable FM, (I don't). After months and months of waiting I can finally get decent FM reception, and the audio is surprisingly good also.

Anyway, I just wanted to pass this along for anyone looking for a good clock radio. I'm just blown away by how good its FM reception is!

http://www.bostonacoustics.com/hs_pr...?productID=213

John

Sounds like a commercial, are you sure you don't own the compay ?
    LE15-Thumper
    "Give me JBL, or give me death"

I have been looking for a small radio with decent reception for the same reasons (NPR, KCRW, KLON, KPCC) but I need it to work in an office building with a lot of surrounding metal. I have tried about five radios, countless antennas and still no consistent reception. I will keep an eye out for one of these. Its amazing with all the current technology that there are so many radios with bad reciever/tuners. Not much harder to make them right.

Re: Great clock radio!

Originally posted by johnaec
    Normally I wouldn't post something like this here, but I've been on a quest for a decent clock radio for so long that I thought others might be interested.

FM reception where I live is really poor for the few stations that are important to me - primarily PBS stations, so I can drift to sleep without all the annoying ads. While a little Sherwood receiver I have in my bedroom can pick them up fairly well, (with an antenna wire draped all over the walls), it was far from convenient, (no clock, snooze, etc.). And I've tried 3 other name brand clock radios whose FM reception varied from very poor to non-existant.

Then I came across a review of the Boston Acoustics Recepter clock radio, (digital, 20 presets, etc.), which mentioned that it had both excellent sound and excellent reception. So I picked one up today, (primarily because it's got a 30 day satisfaction guarantee), and hooked it up.

All I can say is WOW!! With its little 3' trailing wire antenna just hanging behind the nightstand, this thing picks up those FM stations better than any of the 3 full-size receivers I have in the house! And it also comes with a coax connection if you've got cable FM, (I don't). After months and months of waiting I can finally get decent FM reception, and the audio is surprisingly good also.

Anyway, I just wanted to pass this along for anyone looking for a good clock radio. I'm just blown away by how good its FM reception is!

http://www.bostonacoustics.com/hs_pr...?productID=213

John
    PLEASE dont tell this to Bose, they feel their Wave radio is the best, and actually reproduces lifelike sound, from a small box using acoustimass wave technology!

bob newton

3 " Tail ??

its a :shock:
    Last edited by bob newton; 09-05-2004 at 03:27 PM.

bob newton

3 " antennar tail ??

Might be a mouse inside
    Last edited by bob newton; 09-05-2004 at 03:25 PM.

RIP 2009

Re: Re: Great clock radio!

Originally posted by scott fitlin
    PLEASE dont tell this to Bose, they feel their Wave radio is the best, and actually reproduces lifelike sound, from a small box using acoustimass wave technology!

The Boston Acoustics actually uses an active equalization circuit for the bass, but it looks like it's just a little 3" direct radiator.

I see the new Bose Wave radio touts the fact there are no more buttons - only a remote. I can see it now - fumbling around looking for that thing to turn the alarm off...

John

I know what would happen in my house if my alarm clock had no buttons !
    LE15-Thumper
    "Give me JBL, or give me death"

Thread Information