Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: McIntosh MC240 rebirth

I had a MC240 a few years back... I don't remember much about it beyond the fact that the bass wasn't quite my cup of tea, but I don't remember it lacking a power switch... maybe a rotary sort? I don't remember.

That is looking pretty snazzy... wonder how it will like your C50s?

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    I had a MC240 a few years back... I don't remember much about it beyond the fact that the bass wasn't quite my cup of tea, but I don't remember it lacking a power switch... maybe a rotary sort? I don't remember.

That is looking pretty snazzy... wonder how it will like your C50s?

Widget
    Mac gear does tend to sound like Mac gear. Now having said that the 6L6GC are different from the 7027A that can also run in this amp. The 7027A also are about 60 watts per channel versus the 40 for the 6L6GC's. More power, more dynamic, more bass. Then again, it really depends on the speakers. I'll try both and see what works better with the C50's.

Quote Originally Posted by Wardsweb View Post
    More power, more dynamic, more bass. Then again, it really depends on the speakers. I'll try both and see what works better with the C50's.
    Actually it was the more bass of the MC240 that bugged me... mine had 6L6GCs in it and I tried it with two very different systems. A modern something or other that was full range and a pair of vintage Klipschorns. Both systems exhibited a similar thick and wooly bottom end that was also fairly emphasized. It bugged me with these systems, but certain limited LF speakers like Altec 604 based systems might enjoy the bloom and some listeners in certain bass draining rooms might also prefer that sound.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Actually it was the more bass of the MC240 that bugged me... mine had 6L6GCs in it and I tried it with two very different systems. A modern something or other that was full range and a pair of vintage Klipschorns. Both systems exhibited a similar thick and wooly bottom end that was also fairly emphasized. It bugged me with these systems, but certain limited LF speakers like Altec 604 based systems might enjoy the bloom and some listeners in certain bass draining rooms might also prefer that sound.

Widget
    Good to know. I've heard a MC240 years ago but have never owned one. A friend let me borrow his for a couple weeks about 10 years ago, but I don't remember what it sounded like. I was running Altec A7's at the time. So the JBL's will be a very different animal.

Quote Originally Posted by Wardsweb View Post
    The 7027A also are about 60 watts per channel versus the 40 for the 6L6GC's. .
    I don't go for that. The 7027a tube is just a beefier 6L6GC. The plate dissipation of the 7027a is 35 watts and the 6L6Gc is generally 30 watts so there is no way you're going to gain 20 watts difference between the two. Keep in mind that the pin out is differnt betwwen the two so be sure the amp is designed to use both. Sounds like yours is.

Quote Originally Posted by maxwedge View Post
    I don't go for that. The 7027a tube is just a beefier 6L6GC. The plate dissipation of the 7027a is 35 watts and the 6L6Gc is generally 30 watts so there is no way you're going to gain 20 watts difference between the two. Keep in mind that the pin out is differnt betwwen the two so be sure the amp is designed to use both. Sounds like yours is.
    I will have to defer to your better knowledge of tubes, as I don't have a clue. I was only going by what I was told by Ron Cornelius with McIntosh "A properly serviced MC240 with all new caps will produce about 60 watts per channel when the 7027A output tubes are used."

Thanks for the insight. I would think it wouldn't hurt to have a beefier 6L6GC.

With tube amps the notion of maximum watts per channel is a rather soft number... you have to ask, "at what level of distortion?" 40 watts. 60 watts... I wouldn't sweat it too much.

Widget

New look, new tubes and updated internals

Name:  MC240N.jpg
Views: 2298
Size:  97.7 KB

That amp looks wonderful!

Did you ever get the big speakers refinished/running?

Quote Originally Posted by JeffW View Post
    That amp looks wonderful!

Did you ever get the big speakers refinished/running?
    Are you referring to the JBL C50? The main cabinet is done, the drivers refoamed. The crossovers are built and I'm working on some new CNC horns. For now, I've got the MC240 pushing some Martin Logan Prodigy electrostats.

Yeah, that's them. I remember now that's what you're going to use Lee's CNC 2397's on, sounds like it's not far off.

Very classy glow bottle amp. Nicely done.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

A couple of mood pics.

Beautiful pictures. The 240 is one of the best.
    L. Knowlen
    Los Angeles, CA.

Pre amp

Are you running a 12ax7 pre amp? I'm using a 6sn7 with my Citation II.

Thread Information