Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: L100t3

I live somewhat close to OC Speaker, are they to be trusted?
    I've got 3 LE14H-1's that were all done by them, all with the foam on the front, presumably because the previous owner who took them in did not specify a preference (right or wrong, do you need to state your preference?). If they're really close to you, you're just doing a refoam, and you specify in writing on the work order to do the foam on the back of the cone, you should at least come out with an refoam job as good as you or most of us could do, but there are those who can do better. I have a guy up here who is significantly better than me, so I pay him to do all of mine. If you can, stick with a one man shop - Edgewound in your area, I've got a good guy up here - every job is done the same way by the same hands. The place I used to go had two or three guys that did work on woofers - sometimes it was nice, sometimes the glue was pretty irregular, but you didn't know who did what and can't pick who will work on your stuff. If you're buying foam to DIY, OCS should be fine, but please spend the extra time to drive or ship to Edgewound - I realize the drive's a PIA, but you'll forget the drive; you won't forget a lumpy glue job.

tesla

Surrounds

David,

Thanks for the recomendation. Since I will be doing the refoaming, (and btw, the "behind the cone method is the same as my Advents) I will make sure to do it right. All I really need to know is that the surrounds are the correct ones. Don't want to get ones that are "almost the same."

Quote Originally Posted by DavidF View Post
    Mostly yes, and sometimes no. I have sent several drivers down to them. Good turn around, fair prices but once...once.... I got peeved that they installed the surrounds on the front edge of the JBL woofer cone rather than the rear. No I did not issue instructions that this was my preference. Assumption mother of all you know what. Heard out my complaint but then it was too late. Reason stated was that they could not be installed on the rear because removing the prior material would damage the cone. Never know.

I would first put Upland Loudspeaker Service top of my list for your area. Look up Edgewound on this site. He understands without explaining.

Quote Originally Posted by tesla View Post
    David,

Thanks for the recomendation. Since I will be doing the refoaming, (and btw, the "behind the cone method is the same as my Advents) I will make sure to do it right. All I really need to know is that the surrounds are the correct ones. Don't want to get ones that are "almost the same."
    In that case I recommend Rick Cobb selling on eBay as looneytune2001. Don't be alarmed by the rather odd tag. Send Rick your model number and the diameter of the actual cone. His response is very quick. Many on this website know and use him. I ordered a set for my 128H-1 on Saturday (9 3/8 inches) and received them today. His kits do not inclue the outer gaskets so you should salvage those from the driver.
    David F
    San Jose

tesla

Woofers

Hello,

To recap:

I bought a pair of L100t3's at a swapmeet.

One woofer needed to be refoamed, the other had been refoamed previously. I purchased a refoam kit for one woofer, and finished it today. Got the speakers installed, and they sound good.

However, I noticed something only after completing the refoam.

One woofer has the surround glued to the wrong side of the cone.

After noticing the discprepancy, I removed the woofer that had been previously refoamed, and looked at the back side. I could see what was left of the original foam, so my guess is that the person/business that refoamed it should have removed the old foam on the back of the cone, but took the easy way out, and just glued the foam to the front.

Well, looks like I am refoaming a speaker again.

If it really bothers you, keep on Ebay for a replacement woofer in good shape, or a recone kit. I've heard you can dissolve the glue using MEK, but if they glued it to the front of the cone, you will not be able to get the front edge to look clean again. You may make it passable from a distance, though. Glad you like the speakers, though!

tesla

Ok, a update on the L100T3's

Been listening to them after refoaming the one woofer, (and discovering the already-foamed woofer was improperly refoamed.)

There IS some Bikini on the cabs, although only on the front, where the grill resides. Damn. It's not bad though, I can only see it in the indirect daylight from the patio.

Any idea what I should do about it? Perhaps some kind of (tung) oil or varnish? or should I strip the drivers out, and take them to an expert?

Oh, and how do I remove the "L100T3" badge? Is it glued on?

Ok, I can hear the sniggering from here, but I am driving them with a pair of flea-powered Quad II's.

Hey, I live in an apartment, and a total of 30 watts is more than enough!

getting rid of the bikini tan with howards restore it and feed and wax

Quote Originally Posted by HCSGuy View Post
    BTW, your "Veneer" looks to be in really good shape - keep them out of the sun as the T3's fade easily, and we haven't found a solution yet for the Bikini tan - faded everywhere except behind the grill. Search the site for Reconstituted Veneer and you'll get a little more info. You did very well - T3's with that little fading are very rare, and a component 2214 is rarer still, though probably not that valuable.
    Enjoy!
    i used howards restore it multiple passes on the veeneer of the L100t3s and it pretty much resolved the issue with bikini tan it was one of the most impressive conversions i have seen

Thread Information