Hi everyone-

New guy on the forum. Found you in searching out info on these oddball (apparently) 70's era hi-fi/small PA speakers...

I'm not sure if they are DIY cabinets of if they were some kind of custom 70's era PA cabinet. They are loaded with JBL 123A-1 (8 ohm) woofers and an unmarked horn. And they use the Altec 32343 network. They sound pretty good as a small hi-fi or PA but I found that the caps were leaky in the HF comp network. Caps are black plastic, resin sealed, marked "TSI" and the values are: 3uf/75V; 6uf/100V; 8uf/75V; 18uf/50V (one of the 18uf caps had completely grenaded... shown in pic).

I don't know about the horn. I found no markings on it. The black rear cover is cast aluminum and the horn is plastic.

The cabinet is well made from 3/4 inch birch ply and its outside dimensions are: 24" (H) x 16.5" (W) x 12" (D) with a 3/4" vent across the lower part of baffle board. Does this resemble something that Altec/Lansing produced? I seem to recognize this grouping of components but I can't remember what speaker... 9800 series???

I was looking around here for the schematic for the cross-over network, but did not find it. Was this network known by another number maybe???

I was planning on re-capping this network, and thought I would ask for opinions on what caps people think would be best. Not a great deal of space inside these network boxes, so I was considering Solen metalized polypropylene, but have never used them. Good, bad, or indifferent?

Thanks for any help!

Allen