Thread: Strange Kind of Kit

Strange Kind of Kit

Hello everybody !

Fist post from France on your legendary and impressive forum, i hope you will forgive my english style !

I get from a studio maintenance technicin the speakers of what is suppose to be an Appolito monitor build by Mr Hidley near Paris for a mastering room.
    The kit consist of 4 2205h reconed with 2225h original jbl parts, 2 westlake horn with 2441 and two 2405 .
    The originals westlake horn where remove from the monitors and they are not in a very good shape. Its a pity.
    There is à priori no adapder beetween the driver and the horn, they are just "glued" and wire do the rest. This one if i beleve the story is directly inside the throat of the horn.
    So i have to séparate the 2441 from the horn and see what i find...

Have a good day.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

I am not very surprising nor happy with what i find after very carrefuly removing one 2441. C'est un massacre !

It look like it was used with an adapter that was for a (bad) reason pull off in a very special way.
    It will take a long time before i can use these nice pairs ... cleaning, restoring and making adapters.
    Any thought ?
    But after a lot of reading, particulary what Mr.Widget write here, i am septic about the ideal use of the westlake down to around 500hz (that was the fs that talk about my seller).
    I will do some kind of Tsm1 with the 4 x 2205/25H and a 2446 mounted on a th4001 clone or Yuichi Arai 290.

Happy new year to all of you .

J.A.F.S.

Kludge

Quote Originally Posted by alpacou View Post
    I am not very surprising nor happy with what i find after very carrefuly removing one 2441. C'est un massacre !

It look like it was used with an adapter that was for a (bad) reason pull off in a very special way.
    It will take a long time before i can use these nice pairs ... cleaning, restoring and making adapters.
    Any thought ?
    But after a lot of reading, particulary what Mr.Widget write here, i am septic about the ideal use of the westlake down to around 500hz (that was the fs that talk about my seller).
    I will do some kind of Tsm1 with the 4 x 2205/25H and a 2446 mounted on a th4001 clone or Yuichi Arai 290.

Happy new year to all of you .
    I would send the "horns" to the fireplace. Shockingly, I have seen worse examples of "workmanship". New horns that work well with those drivers can be obtained on EBay... The drivers are quite useable, and with some maintenance would be quite serviceable!

Best of luck to you on your new build!
    Amazed I'm still alive!
    Tim

Thanks for your encouragements Kludge,

I will not fire the westlake horns, they are piece of history and even in poor condition they sound good with the 2441s.
    Once a long restoration done and the right adapter cut, it is still a good solution for a 800/1200hz to 6/8khz from my point of vue.
    The 2441 removed look ok and the plastic part inside seem intact, i will do measurements.

Bonjour chez vous.

Apologies

Sorry loach71 for calling you kludge, it's a mistake...
    And one more about the 2205s.
    They were reconed with original 2205 kit not the 2225.

After entering T&Sparameters of the 2205h in winisd, it look like these drivers are mid/bass, xmax and pe are limited .
    A 80 liters, 2.8 ft cu, sealed enclosure for a pair start with 0.5 qtc when drivers are cold and became 0.7 qtc with 80°c.
    Look good to match a 2245h around 60/80hz @ -6db and a 2123h after 240/300hz. With the possibility to ad 2 ports of 10 cm diameter for a 30hz tunning if it sound not enought punchy .
    Or is there another mistake ?

A nice pair...

This nice pair is also strange, no ?

Does anybody ever seen some Westlake like these one?

It look like originals but with spécial design, larger than current smith/westie one and fins differents than regulars at least for the shape of their end and the big center one.

Measurements will give informations, on the effect of dispertion .

The adapter for the cd is very very simple :/

Thread Information