Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Headphones anyone ?

I had some semi iso Sennheisers back in the day (Koss b4 those) , they worked pretty good. Wouldn't mind having a buck for everytime I listened to Robin Trowers' Bridge of Sighs or Edgar Winters' Frankenstein on those phones. They mixed and reproduced the music in your head (quite well actually). I like the speaker experience, but headphones can be a little more personal at times when you might want a little isolation and peace.

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam View Post
    Hi, Akira...

I respect your knowledge of studio stuff, and am curious on this opinion. I am not overwhelmed by Bose QC2, but they work pretty well for me when flying. What have you found?
    Bo, as a professional I'm sure you'll agree that it all boils down to application.

I've been doing live classical recordings lately and it really is a challenging difference-- Instead of 30 mics followed by a massive downmix, I'm using 6-8 strategically placed mics capturing 'air' and 'space.' It really is the opposite of what I have been doing all my life.
    Since classical is 100% dependent on the room I am forced into recording in the same room as the orchestra. The only mix decision I make is balance. No EQ, no effects, no processing. So I need something that, (A) blocks out the initial sound (only about 70db back of the hall) and (B) is relatively neutral in bass, mid and high response.

The BOSE just don't do that as you can see from the graph. The Bose have an intentionally colored sound that is consumer friendly. To be fair the graph is the QC3's which Bose has intentionally boosted the bass even more so than the QC2's.

I think I am going with the Senn's (PXC 450) Review after review says the sound is very good but, not as good as open back units delivering a clean balance of bass, mid and high. They also block out sound equal to the Bose units in the lower frequencies and better on the higher frequencies.

graph: QC3 green = left side red = right side
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Akira...

Great reply and post - thanks. And, for reaffirming that website. I went there, but the color of the site threw me off, so I ignored it. You made me dig deeper...

I've not used the QC3, but as I said, have found the QC2 useful for when I'm flying. They are pretty compact, hella comfortable (I wear them for 10-hrs San Fran to Heathrow, time and time again...), and as you say, at-least OK for sound. FWIW, I posted the QC2 response curve and you are right - Bose boosted the bass frequencies considerably on the QC3. I suspect it might have to do with the overear fit reducing the bass performance? Dunno...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I never thought to measure the response of my cans. Duh...

I have measured SPL - frequently, to ensure my ears are quasi "calibrated" to the gain I use in the cans so that I don't over do it. But I think when time next permits, I'll run some Pink Noise through them and capture their response. Easy to do. Maybe after this run through southern OR...

Just ordered a pair of Senn's

Picked up a pair from Dell...yeah the computer guys.
    $450. USD paid $343. CND
    I'll post a review when I try them out--hopefully they will get here before my next gig on August 6th.
    Quote Originally Posted by boputnam View Post
    as you say, at-least OK for sound. FWIW, I posted the QC2 response curve and you are right - Bose boosted the bass frequencies considerably on the QC3.
    Yeah, the pro reviewers rate the QC2's better sonically than the QC3's, and also better noise rejection due to the closed ear design.
    But, with all things Bose, guess which one will sell better.

headphone recommedation?

Well, the Bose headphones I'm currently using are terrible.

What units are good?

Quote Originally Posted by robertbartsch View Post
    Well, the Bose headphones I'm currently using are terrible.
    You were expecting... ???

What units are good?
    The merits of multiple models have been/are being discussed in this active thread:

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ad.php?t=3094&

I don't use them so I have no credible opinion to offer.

I have this set.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

They sound good and are portable is that is what your looking for.

ever heard of this ?

Altoids Tin Headphone Amp -

1 custom Altoids Tin Headphone Amp (CMOY) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cmoy
    works great
    I will include 3 new 9 volt batteries
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

I got the Bose headphones free from AA for flying a million miles. Anyway, they need batteries to power the equalization circuit and they always sound like they are in equalization overload mode.

I got the Bose headphones free from AA for flying a million miles.
    This is why I fly Delta

Delta has too many Eurobus tail-snappers for my taste in aircraft fleets.

Anyway, the Bose headphones are fairly efficeint but [they are] also fairly battery intensive requiring a new aaa every few hours of play.

They also seem to color the sound extensively and this is annoying when you are familiar with a particular sound track and it does not sound right.

I can't beleive people would be willing to pay > $250 clams for these.

Give the JBL a try.

They have a high sensitivity and do a good job of noise suppression. I ride the Chicago CTA trains every day and they are far noisier than an airplane.
    JBL also has an active pair that has noise suppression.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/JBL-510-HEADPHON...d=p3286.c0.m14

Akg K-501

Excellent. Great value for relatively little money. They reproduce insane levels without distortion.

ruediger

I got the Bose headphones free from AA for flying a million miles. Anyway, they need batteries to power the equalization circuit and they always sound like they are in equalization overload mode.
    Which Model? I've had the QC1, QC 2 and today, the QC15 and I "think" I'm pretty picky about frequency response and have not had the experience you describe.

Anyway, the Bose headphones are fairly efficeint but [they are] also fairly battery intensive requiring a new aaa every few hours of play.
    Which Model? I've flown SanFran -> Heathrow - Johannesburg -> Heathrow -> SFO over the course of a ten-day period all on the same single AAA battery.

They also seem to color the sound extensively and this is annoying when you are familiar with a particular sound track and it does not sound right.

I can't beleive people would be willing to pay > $250 clams for these.
    Well, I have - a number of times. The QC 1, 2 and 15 all take one "AAA" battery, and I've had these last for months - and I fly a lot.

I read the promotes for the QC15, and today trialed them at DEN. Impressive enough that I bought a pair - my QC2's over-ear surrounds were finally decrepitating (5+ yrs?), so it was time for a change. The QC15 is a remarkable improvement over the QC2 (NB: I have never tried the QC3 - I don't like on-ear fit). I will try and measure the improvement (gain reduction), but I truly could not hear "nuthin' " in the cabin, and was able to turn down my 20 GB Archos 204 (which was only offered in the UK - never in the US) -12% and with improved clarity. I sensed no "coloration" whatsoever.

I have used the QC-series for well over 8-yrs and typically listen to the 2-tr soundboards I capture of our shows, and use the air travel time audit my mixes - it gives me ideas. I cannot say I have experienced an unfaithful "coloration" or anything that I felt was additive. But, I use these only when travelling - planes, trains and automobiles - and in those conditions, this is a remarkable product.

Thread Information