Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Headphones anyone ?

Headphones anyone ?

Thanks to all that responded to my query about outdoor speakers. As soon as I nab a cheap H/K receiver on the bay, I'll be shopping for them.

In the mean time I'm curious what you guys use for headphones. I've been using Sony MDR-V6 (same as 7506) for what seems like forever. I've been patching them up when they break but they are on their last legs. Here's what I'm looking for:

Cheap-ish ($100 or under)
    Efficient (gets loud driven with ipod or similar mini unit)
    Small/folding if possible

I'm taking the train more and I've found it's a good hour to just chill and listen to tunes. The laptop makes a great music machine but I need some better headphones. The V6's are too big to wear outside the house and my older Sony MDR-CD5's are totally beat. I wish Sony made them again - they were a mini/enclosed design which was really the best of both worlds. Small and light enough to wear for a long time (or anywhere) and sealed for less outside noise and better bass.

How about the newer in-the-ear buds ? Any good ?

Thanks for any and all ideas...

jblnut

RIP 2009
    I posed this same question a couple weeks ago, but few responses. I mentioned my favorite years ago were the single element Koss Pro4 (AAA?), and was informed they've been re-released. I haven't looked into it yet, but that's where I'm starting...

John

dancing-dave
    Check out: www.etronics.com for any Sony headphones. They sell most of them way below market price.

Also www.audiocubes.com

I like the Sennheiser soundproof headphones they have at Brookstone. I use them for train and plane rides often.

I am looking into the Shure E3C and E5 series, noise cancelling ear buds. I read in a magazine about them but have no first hand experience.
    Any one have experience with these Shure headphones? Seems like they would fit the bill.
    They appear on ebay pretty frequently and I am bidding on a pair now
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEBI:IT

MP3 player headphones advise

I've got an iPod nano and love it. The 2 factors that affect sound quality are encoding bitrate and headphones. I currently use AKG K55s for over the ear - non mobile listening , and creative ear canal buds ( http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Labs/...695233?ie=UTF8) for mobile. The CLs are great but I'm always looking for improvement.
    Sooo....have been lusting after some Shure e2c's and was ready to pull the trigger, when I noticed these CLs ( http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Zen-A...695233?ie=UTF8 ) the Aurvana set is new and looks nice.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these 2 ? or recommendations ?
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Southern California, Orange County, Huntington Beach
    I cant comment on the creative earbuds, since i generally never trust their products to produce peripherals, but you will never go wrong buying from Shure, which they develop the best "earbuds" anyway from what i can see, (anless your the type that have to customize the mold for your ear costing you a thousand)

However for full-size or portable "headphones" I would personally go for sennheiser, or grado's headphones. AKG headphones from what i know of them are mainly good for DJing/mixing purposes, but not for actual music listening when compared to other brands, but people may correct me if i am wrong.

For sake of saving your ear though, i would prefer to never use earbuds. I use portable "headphones" mostly since i believe it will reduce the damage to your ear, since earbuds tend to go in places you shouldnt even stick your finger in.
    Young, but i love speakers!

Smile

In the iPod thread, Bo speaks highly of Shure. Go to post #50.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ead.php?t=9757
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome
    Bo speaks highly of Shure....
    Yea, I do. The E5c is amazing. I've trialed all the peers - that is, the top-shelf versions of each brand - and none have the even frequency response and bass reproduction of the E5c.

I saw a fellow traveller on an international flight using a pair with his iPod. Pretty surprising. That is an expensive bud, bud! I was using the Bose QC2 overear cup style, with it's fantastic noise cancelling - superb with the jet ambient noisefloor.

I use the E5c when performing; I use the Bose QC2 at FOH and when flying. Different pieces of hardware for different applications...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

I disagree on the AKGs...........

I have Sennheiser HD-580s for serious listening, but they are not efficient enough for the Nano to make decent volume. The AKG K55 is very musical and comfortable. Dont know the specs, but they sound nice with the Nano and produce sufficient volume.

I agree about most CL products , but this particular model gets super reviews and is rebadged as Sennheiser and then sold at a premium. These are "in the canal" and not really buds. Most people think this style sux until they learn how to insert them. ( for left ear, take RIGHT hand , reach over the top of head, pull up on top of ear and insert with LEFT hand....and of course reverse with other one)

Quote Originally Posted by QwertyAccess
    I cant comment on the creative earbuds, since i generally never trust their products to produce peripherals, but you will never go wrong buying from Shure, which they develop the best "earbuds" anyway from what i can see, (anless your the type that have to customize the mold for your ear costing you a thousand)

However for full-size or portable "headphones" I would personally go for sennheiser, or grado's headphones. AKG headphones from what i know of them are mainly good for DJing/mixing purposes, but not for actual music listening when compared to other brands, but people may correct me if i am wrong.

Bang for the buck...

I have a couple pairs of the Sony EX71SL buds which used to be $50 and are now about $30. They kick the s*it out of the ipod phones (comfort and sound quality) and they do a resonable job of blocking noise since they go into the ear canal. Not everyone can stand having something in their ear canal, but if you can these are great for the cash. They aren't Shures, but they aren't $300 either. We're listening to compressed digital music here after all so no need to get the panties all tangled up about extreme sound quality. Save your cash and go home to spin the vinyl through some JBLs for that .

jblnut

Amazon review of the CL630 IEMs...I ordered the E2c today.

Sennheiser CX 300 series was formerly launch into the professional musician market as Sennheiser IE4 In-Ear Monitor.

Sennheiser IE4 sold at ~150 US Dollar (Suggested Retail Price). As a competitor of Etymotic Er6 and Shure E3c.

Following the product's success in the professional market now it is time to harvest from the vast consumer market.

So the marketing description of this product now change from "the high accuracy reproducing of the sound" into the new hype "the bass driven sound".
    Very common marketing trick. :-)

Sennheiser IE4 was a rebranding of the highly acclaim "Sharp MD33".
    Sharp MD33 is one of the most succesfull IEM in the world.
    It also described as a "giant killer".

After it got wide reputation around the world Sharp MD 33 was rebranded into Creative ep630 (which can be found in Asia) and Sennheiser IE4 (which goes directly to the most demanding professional musicians market.

Sound of this Sennheiser/ Sharp/ Creative IEM is solid and very clear.
    Bass is decent, mid and high are details.

It need less maintenance comparing with Etymotic or Shure since it cleverly use metal grills instead of direct filter.
    Once a month scrap your earwax out of the metal grill is enough to keep this decent IEM working for years.

Silicone ear tips are interchangeable with Sony's ex series ear tips.
    If you want to do some experiment you can try Shure's ear tip on them.
    Even somebody have suggested Shure's Ultra Soft Flex Sleeve (PA749M) on this IEM but I would like to suggest Shure's PA757M Flex Sleeves instead. (Please change the size according to your ear size)

With Shure PA757M Flex Sleeve this Sharp/ Creative/ Sennheiser IEM sounds as if the sound stage become expanded without deterioration in sound quality.

If you live in US this Sennheiser IEM is worth your money. And sound quality is much better than many expensive IEM.

Southern California, Orange County, Huntington Beach
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16826159420
    I found the Sennheiser EH250 model to be a very nice bang for buck ratio, also i believe it is very efficient (if not even more efficient then alot of buds i've tryed) I use it for my ipod, it has alot of bass, but going a step up from there is the EH350
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16826159421
    No idea about these but i didnt get them since they were open-eared (i like to not disturb people with my open-ear phones, the EH250 is closed so it cancels ambient noises effectively.)
    Young, but i love speakers!

the Shure E2c's arrived today.....

They sound great , nice quality , good case , good manual. are they worth 2X the price of my Creative/Senn/Sharps ?? Prolly not.

Shure E2c update

well , they are getting better , after some breaking in sessions. Bass seemed thin at first, but now think I was used to over boosted bass , tho did turn up the EQ to compensate a little. Very nice detailing. Was listening to CCR "Heard it through the Grapevine" and had never realized that there is piano in the tune. Lots of earpiece options. Well built, look foreward to them getting better still.

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97
    Bass seemed thin at first, but now think I was used to over boosted bass.
    That is a point many users need to remember - they may have unintentionally "trained" their hearing to be accustomed to a bass-boost EQ. That EQ curve can actually mask tonality in the LF.

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97
    Lots of earpiece options. Well built, look foreward to them getting better still.
    As weill all IEM, the key to good, representative bass response is a tight fit IN the ear canal. That is how they are 'sposed to fit. Try different earpieces, both sizes and styles. I prefer the triple flange that Shure now sells with the E5c - I trim the end-most flange off for a good tight, and non-fatiguing fit. A bandmate prefers the squishy yellow donuts, which seem to work best for him.

Just go easy on the SPL's - these IEM's are very close to the ear drum.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Thread Information