Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Altec voix du Theatre A7/A5 anybody done this?

With all that bass, I am surpised the plants still have leaves on them...

The idea is not all bad. Everyone knows the A7 has too big volume and also suffers from shelving as all hornreflexes do when forced to go low. But it is still recommended to keep it as hornreflex, now with correct volume and ports. Take a look at the 816 below that doesn´t play bad at all.

Name:  DSC_0214.jpg
Views: 5034
Size:  179.6 KB

The system needs to be biamped as the bass driver will have a lot lower sensitivity. The crossoverpoint should also be choosen above the point where shelving sets in.
    Brgds
    Lars

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee in Montreal View Post
    With all that bass, I am surpised the plants still have leaves on them...
    It’s also a bad idea to put plants above electronics that need watering!

Talking

Everyone knows the A7 has too big volume

I disagree you can never have enough volume,it is the port that is too big.

Take a look at the 816 below that doesn´t play bad at all.

Agreed, But the 816 won't go below 80-100 Hz so it lacks the deep bass IMO.A couple 816's stacked 2 per side would be better.
    "James B. Lansing" = Lansing Manufacturing ~ Altec Lansing ~ JBL

Agreed, But the 816 won't go below 80-100 Hz so it lacks the deep bass IMO.A couple 816's stacked 2 per side would be better.
    Hey, didn´you read the whole post/thread??

Once again: A smaller box, still hornreflex, on the horn(Yes, it is ment go 80-100Hz) and a biamped sub (BR?) below.

Unfortunately the A7 horn has a very uneven respons so it should also(easy fix) be reworked.

I disagree you can never have enough volume,it is the port that is too big.
    Unfortunately this isn´t true. The box is still to big but the smaller port helps a lot.

About choosing box volume, whether Vb in a horn, BR or closed, there are many good books out there to read.

About the shelving I mentioned before, it takes place at maybe 150-200Hz where the response below this will be 4-6dB lower. EQ?

The optimal volume for 416-8A in an Onken is 220dm3. With a port length of 2cm(3/4") the portarea will be 100cm2.

But 515 is probably more appropiate here.
    Brgds
    Lars

Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post
    It’s also a bad idea to put plants above electronics that need watering!
    Thus,if your electronics don't need watering,the plants will be fine where they are?

I'm not shure about a kind of project to add an other speaker in A5/A7 cabinets, first because the magnets are not in the same axe and can cause delay between each drivers. This is only for the reach of more power but bass doesn't work only by adding speakers..

when drivers are not in the same axe and alligned with others, the delay is not good for the quality of reproduction and also can cancel bass frenquencies

--- I have a A7 pair for sale, they are not perfect, comes with JBL drivers (i don't know wich model) but realy clean, they are few littles differences between both but it's sounds realy good and perfect for a project. I don't have horn, only de boxes.. 150$ for the boxes and 300$ with JBL drivers. Montreal Canada ---

Name:  98422hg_20.jpeg
Views: 3935
Size:  17.3 KB

825/828 cabinet tweaks...

I've had my old A5s for over 10 years now and after many early attempts to improve them I realized they are at their best with just a few modifications to tighten up the cabinet.

The components are all early '50s vintage: 515b, 288b, 1005A (Original tar-filled). I found this on the old Altec users board and pretty much followed what is says:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4500648/Audio/smallVOT.pdf.

I did block off the midbass horn flares and sand-filled them: lots of added weight but really clearing up the 100-500Hz range. That volume is not needed for the bass response and the flimsy construction of the horn has always been a source of noise.

Gluing and screwing a bunch of 2X4 and 2x2 bracing to the inside of the cabinets does wonders to tighten up the bass they do produce. Resizing the vent to 100 sq/in and making sure the front panel there is sufficiently stiffened up will give crisp response to 40-45Hz with the 515.

They live in my shop and spend most of their time being fed by my iPod or streams through my iPhone:

While they will never be the last word in inner detail or frequency extension, they are one of the most relaxed and natural sounding systems ever.

eso
    30Hz Bass Horns/K151, Custom mid bass & midrange horns/Cogent DS 1428 & 1448 field coil drivers, Fostex T925a tweeters.

Hi,
    I made this Remodeling Altec System 11 years ago.
    Since then, the system and I have been getting along well.
    I recently added Selenium HM17-25 and JBL 2408H to the system.

Name:  DSC_7717_106.jpg
Views: 1362
Size:  67.7 KB

The Remodeling Altec System is controlled using Behringer DCX2496, DEQ2496 and ECM8000.
    The systems are driven by 3 way multi amp system.
    I uses AUTO ALIGN function of DCX2496 and AUTO EQ function of DEQ2496 to flatten the frequency response from 25Hz to 20kHz, and the following parametric equalization settings of DEQ2496 are made.

Name:  DSC_7669_095.jpg
Views: 1273
Size:  63.7 KB

I like classical music, especially orchestras, so I like speakers that can make dynamic expressions in a wide range.
    This Remodeling Altec System meets this demand with an 18 inch woofer and ALTEC MR94 Large Format Horn and 291-16K.

The 828B cabinet is divided into upper and lower chambers by a partition plate.
    The lower chamber containing the PEAVEY LOMAX 18 inch woofer has a capacity of 8.0 cubic feet/225 L.
    The enclosure volume recommended by PEAVEY are 4.0cf a small volume enclosure (44Hz/-3dB), 6.0cf a medium volume enclosure (37Hz/-3dB), 8.0cf a large volume enclosure (31Hz/-3dB).
    Therefore, the volume of this lower chamber is ideal for this woofer unit.
    The vent dimensions are 4.7inch/12cm x 5.5inch/14cm for the opening and 11inch/28cm for the length.

This Remodeling Altec System succeeded in efficiently storing an 18 inch killer woofer.
    And this system with excellent space factor is a very compact system for me.

Name:  1061.jpg
Views: 1178
Size:  70.0 KB

One of my other systems is Yellow Horn System which driven by 8 way multi amp system.

Name:  DSC_7233-2_055.jpg
Views: 1152
Size:  52.4 KB

My other system is DIY Horn System which driven by 7 way multi amp system.

Name:  DSC_7575_083.jpg
Views: 1176
Size:  64.8 KB

These systems are also controlled using Behringer DCX2496 and DEQ2496.

Name:  c01.jpg
Views: 1046
Size:  45.9 KB

This Remodeling Altec System is a very small system compared to the Yellow Horn System and the DIY Horn System, but I like it because it sounds great despite being compact.

Pretty spectacular looking systems! Not sure they would fit in very many homes, but it looks like you’ve made them work.

Widget

Thank you Mr. Widget
    The Lansing Heritage site brings me a lot of knowledge and fun.
    Thank you very much.

I'm sure my speaker systems are a little big and my wife says so too.
    The next day after listening to the orchestra in the concert hall, I don't want to be disappointed when I listen to the same CD on the audio device.
    I believe the size of the speaker should be reflected in its height.
    I think a height of about 6feet/180cm is desirable.
    I expect the Texas Bookshelf is a speaker system built on the same idea.

I don't like the muddiness of the mid-low range sound of the woofer during high-power playback.
    Many classical music fans are delighted to hear the muddiness as an expression of the depth of strings section of orchestra, but I don't think so.
    After all, I think that the woofer which reproduces the lowest range and a unit which reproduces the mid-low range should be different units.
    I totally agree with a 4-way concept that Mr. Greg Timbers pioneered in the 4315 monitor.

The Remodeling Altec System is not intended to add an 18-inch woofer to get the lowest range, but rather to remove the lowest range sound from the ALTEC 3156 woofer.
    Therefore, the crossover frequencies of DCX2496 of the system are 90Hz and 500Hz, and the slope types are LR-48dB/oct.

Large speaker systems, such as the yellow horn system, naturally have some disadvantages.
    The most serious problem is that 7-way or 8-way mluti amp systems are difficult to organize, that is, it is very difficult to adjust the out put levels of DCX 2496.
    However, by using the AUTO ALIGN function of DCX2496 and AUTO EQ function of DEQ2496 to flatten the frequency response, I can easily obtain extremely accurate phase and balance.
    Furthermore, sound that lacks musicality due to its flatness can be revived by performing parametric equalization of DEQ2496.

Name:  DSC_7642_094.jpg
Views: 1027
Size:  66.8 KB

Mr. Don McRitchie and Mr. Steve Schell wrote the following in the right column on page 30 of "The History and Legacy of JBL".

"The mid 1960s saw JBL take one more run at Altec’s stran-glehold on the cinema market, and it resulted in the same resounding lack of success. The Altec Voice of the Theatre (VOTT) was an industry standard because it had become a reference and not because it represented the pinnacle of accuracy—which it did not. Sonic limitations such as the uneven response of its horn/reflex enclosure and restricted high-frequency extension were well-known in the industry."

Name:  0012.jpg
Views: 1115
Size:  59.0 KB

My impression of VOTT is as follows.
    The good news is that VOTT gives a fresh expression when JAZZ is played at high volume, and has a cool appearance, and can talk about history and legend.
    And the bad points are everything else.
    In particular, compared with a modern speaker system, the low frequency reproduction capability is extremely low, and the high frequency is not worthy of evaluation unless a large format Manta Ray horn is used.

Why did I get VOTT?
    It was an offer from my friend, and at that time I responded lightly without thinking too much.
    If I don't like it, I just put it in the warehouse.
    I knew that I couldn't get very good results using VOTT as it was, so I decided to install a subwoofer.

The lower chamber of the 828 has a volume of 8 cf, so it can hold almost any 18 inch woofer.
    Another idea was to use a 15 inch woofer.
    Enclose the circumference of the woofer unit like Electro Voice MTL-4, and place the woofer unit in a recessed position.
    I thought that there is enough volume of lower chamber even if a recess is provided, and that a bass with a punch might be obtained.

Electro Voice MTL-4
    Name:  c0143750_0455726.jpg
Views: 1058
Size:  24.1 KB

I was at a loss between the 18-inch plan and the 15-inch plan with a recess, but eventually adopted the 18-inch plan.
    At that time, 18-inch woofers with "mms" of about 200g began to become popular, so I wanted to try the 18-inch plan.
    This prospect was successful and I was able to get a deep and transparent bass.

I am fascinated by the appearance of vintage products, but the sound of these products is many problematic.
    I listened to the large multicell horns and sectoral horns of ALTEC, huge horns of Western Electric, and front loaded horns or scoop with 15 inch woofer(s), but I was disappointed.

By understanding the weaknesses of vintage products well, remodeling the weaknesses and using the automatic adjustment capability of digital equipment, you can extend the life of vintage products and deepen your understanding of audio technology.
    I often hear stories of people who notice the poor sound of his vintage products and throw away everything.
    I recommend you to take some measures before that happens.

http://kiirojbl.blogspot.com/

My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by kiirojbl View Post
    I listened to the large multicell horns and sectoral horns of ALTEC, huge horns of Western Electric, and front loaded horns or scoop with 15 inch woofer(s), but I was disappointed.
    Old style equipment is best suited for old style music for which it was designed. Obviously, trying to render bass material under 60Hz (on which modern electronic music is often based) could be useless with home-sized horns. And not everyone can run Berthas w/ Levan horns in their home...

The best blues I ever listened to was on a rotten set of Altec A7. It felt son natural. Perfect fit between music and soeakers. Otherwise, I believe A7s sound garbage on modern music....

Thread Information