Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 31

Thread: Altec voix du Theatre A7/A5 anybody done this?

  1. #1
    Member hifiapart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    paris, france
    Posts
    46

    Altec voix du Theatre A7/A5 anybody done this?

    Hi,
    Anybody done anything like this to "raise the lower bass output..."?

    If so feedback would be appreciated.
    Name:  1004.jpg
Views: 9596
Size:  73.7 KBName:  1002.jpg
Views: 13012
Size:  70.3 KB

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Ingolstadt in Germany
    Posts
    456

    What's the gain?

    I do not understand what You gain.

    ruediger

  3. #3
    Senior Member Lee in Montreal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Montréal
    Posts
    2,495
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruediger View Post
    I do not understand what You gain.
    Me neither. And I don't understand what was the goal of this modification. I have listened to instrumental music (jazz and blues) on A7 speakers and they sound very natural. With the mods done as shown above, the volume for the the original drivers was reduced by at least 75%, and the volume for the added driver is most likely not enough. In both cases it has raised even more the Q of the cabinets. Raising the enclosure's frequency, which is what you were trying to lower...

    My suggestion is to get back to the original design and simply use one proper driver. Be it an Altec or JBL. You'll get a tight bass. if you want deep, then simply buy two subwoofers.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    378
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee in Montreal View Post
    Me neither. And I don't understand what was the goal of this modification. I have listened to instrumental music (jazz and blues) on A7 speakers and they sound very natural. With the mods done as shown above, the volume for the the original drivers was reduced by at least 75%, and the volume for the added driver is most likely not enough. In both cases it has raised even more the Q of the cabinets. Raising the enclosure's frequency, which is what you were trying to lower...

    My suggestion is to get back to the original design and simply use one proper driver. Be it an Altec or JBL. You'll get a tight bass. if you want deep, then simply buy two subwoofers.
    +2 , You should just built sub boxes for the 18"s I think you are trying to get as much output from the same area of floor space.There really is no Free Lunches so to speak in speaker design.Those cabinets need to be twice as big now that you have dual woofers.The woofers can't share the same amount of volume,they need their own,(double)minimum.

    I agree with Lee !!
    "James B. Lansing" = Lansing Manufacturing ~ Altec Lansing ~ JBL

  5. #5
    Member hifiapart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    paris, france
    Posts
    46
    Well i have not done this but was considering.....guess it seems like the wrong idea...

  6. #6
    Senior Member Lee in Montreal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Montréal
    Posts
    2,495
    Last winter I listened to some blues and african drums on a pair of A7 in a medium size room. Source was vinyl, powered by a lamp amp. A single horn for mids and high. Damn it sounded natural. Sure it didn't have the low end extension, but such extension never existed when these cabs, drivers and music were created.

    The ideal set-up would be to have a set of A7 at the front, and two subs behind you. That will fill the room gently. Your will hear the tight contrabass strings and drum skins from the front, while your body will feel the infra bass from behind or "somewhere". The best of both worlds

  7. #7
    Member hifiapart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    paris, france
    Posts
    46
    Lee,
    What recommendation for subs?
    I have valve amps, 300hz horn (cut at 500hz) and tweeter.
    Thanks for idea(s)
    Tim

  8. #8
    Senior Member Lee in Montreal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Montréal
    Posts
    2,495
    Hi Tim

    If you already have the A7, most likely you already know they don't have "much" below 50Hz. Perhaps you can build a pair of subs for the 20Hz-60Hz area. Basically, the subs will only add the physical enveloppe to the music. There are hundreds of off-the-shelf subs available out there. But if you have a set of A7, perhaps your intention is to "keep it in the family" by using JBL drivers...

    What about subs built around a set of 2245h? You can probably drive them with subwoofer amplifier plates with their own crossovers.

  9. #9
    Member hifiapart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    paris, france
    Posts
    46
    Lee,
    Had vot boxes moved to omken 360 hread some vot boxes at a friends place, going back to vot......the onken goes lower but remains dry "mat" and in the end does not entertain the way the vot does.

    But i moved from the vot because of bass.

    Will look at some subs.....even if i like less is more!

    Tim

  10. #10
    Senior Member Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    378
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee in Montreal View Post
    If you already have the A7, most likely you already know they don't have "much" below 50Hz.
    Yes due to the port being too big.In Movie Theaters that was fine.With a few tweaks you can get the A-7 down near the 30-35 Hz range with a pair of 416's in them.If your running 515's you can still get them lower but not as much.There is a thread at the Altec userboard that Panomaniac started.He made several tweaks to the crossovers & box and got his down a lot lower.For one the port is too big to acheive a lower tuning.His thread is " My A7-500s. A journey " , if you can get the A-7 down near 30-35 Hz no sub will be needed IMHO ! There isn't much music below that (30HZ) anyway except for the occasional pipe organ notes and stuff like that.

    Smaller ports and adding length of 3" to those ports a long with XO tweaks will acheive a lower tuning is what he did IIRC.
    "James B. Lansing" = Lansing Manufacturing ~ Altec Lansing ~ JBL

  11. #11
    Senior Member Lee in Montreal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Montréal
    Posts
    2,495
    Quote Originally Posted by Altec Best View Post
    Smaller ports and adding length of 3" to those ports a long with XO tweaks will acheive a lower tuning is what he did IIRC.


    This empty pair has removeable front panels, and is for sale locally for $250/pair. I am tempted. I think it is the proper way to make an A7 go lower. Simply tune the BR port to according frequency.

    Name:  AltecA7BR_2.jpg
Views: 5418
Size:  95.0 KB
    Name:  AltecA7BR_1.jpg
Views: 4940
Size:  90.2 KB

  12. #12
    Member hifiapart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    paris, france
    Posts
    46


    Wow seems as if you are motivated.....at that price go for it if you have the drivers....

  13. #13
    Senior Member Eaulive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Back in Montreal
    Posts
    1,204
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee in Montreal View Post


    This empty pair has removeable front panels, and is for sale locally for $250/pair. I am tempted. I think it is the proper way to make an A7 go lower. Simply tune the BR port to according frequency.

    Name:  AltecA7BR_2.jpg
Views: 5418
Size:  95.0 KB
    Name:  AltecA7BR_1.jpg
Views: 4940
Size:  90.2 KB
    You went to see Joseph again?
    Nope, not his floor

  14. #14
    Senior Member Lee in Montreal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Montréal
    Posts
    2,495
    Quote Originally Posted by Eaulive View Post
    You went to see Joseph again?
    Nope, not his floor
    Nop. That set of A7 is in Sherbrooke.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Wardsweb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    834
    Here is one of my old systems. The A7's are veneered in walnut with solid walnut bases. They are sitting on BassMaxx B1 sub horns fitted with 18" McCauley 6174 drivers. This system could literally vibrate your bones.

    Name:  01.jpg
Views: 5565
Size:  65.7 KB

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Altec / JBL Voice of the Theatre project
    By RacerXtreme in forum Lansing Product General Information
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-02-2005, 05:55 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •