Straight from the RIAA itself:

Top 100 Albums

Level Title Artist Label

29 EAGLES/THEIR GREATEST HITS 1971 - 1975 EAGLES
    29 THRILLER JACKSON, MICHAEL EPIC/LEGACY
    23 LED ZEPPELIN IV LED ZEPPELIN ATLANTIC
    23 THE WALL PINK FLOYD COLUMBIA

http://www.riaa.com/goldandplatinumd...able=tblTop100
    Priceless. Thriller has sold 120 million Albums worldwide. the Eagles greatest hits has sold somewhere in the mid 40's.....

Quote Originally Posted by Allanvh5150 View Post
    Priceless. Thriller has sold 120 million Albums worldwide. the Eagles greatest hits has sold somewhere in the mid 40's.....
    You should probably start a thread for "Top selling album" - those may be the largest sellers, but that doesn't make them the "greatest album"!

Top sales is just record company mumbo-jumbo with how many units are pushed out the door, and all of that. Payola and radio airplay and all of that entered into it ...

That's not what Seawolf wanted for this thread he named "Greatest Album" ...

I could argue about how Sgt Pepper and Pet Sounds fought to change the very nature of albums -
    even Their Santanic majesties request tried crashing THAT party ...
    Les Paul and his multitrack revolutions are certainly pretty Great
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Priceless. Thriller has sold 120 million Albums worldwide.
    Alan ...it seems you did not read the premise of the thread or its comments ...

but as long as you are making claims like the above quote , please provide a link to that fact... I gave an actual RIAA link

Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) , the official guys who keep track of this meaningless stuff.

see ? SOG gets it..

Quote Originally Posted by sonofagun View Post
    "Greatest" is rather a subjective term pretty much determined by individual tastes.
    Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    was asking your personal opinion
    of which albums are greatest TO YOU ...
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Alan ...it seems you did not read the premise of the thread or its comments ...

but as long as you are making claims like the above quote , please provide a link to that fact... I gave an actual RIAA link

Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) , the official guys who keep track of this meaningless stuff.

see ? SOG gets it..
    Well here is a link but there are many others....RIAA is within the USA, not worldwide.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...bums_worldwide

I am not saying that this album is the best ever but when someone uses the word "greatest" what are they asking? 120 million people can't be wrong can they? I guess in the eyes of some members here, they can......

And just in case you want some more reading, here is an RIAA link.

http://www.riaa.com/goldandplatinumd...ble=tblDiamond

Can you tell me the name of the album at the top?

And just in case you want some more reading, here is an RIAA link.

http://www.riaa.com/goldandplatinumd...ble=tblDiamond

Can you tell me the name of the album at the top?
    Priceless. Thriller has sold 120 million Albums worldwide.
    read the chart .....level 29 = 29 million NOT 120 million...

I'm done with you Alan, you just don't "get" the thread.

read the chart .....level 29 = 29 million NOT 120 million...

I'm done with you Alan, you just don't "get" the thread.

You sir, are an idiot. RIAA is for sales in the US, that album has sold 120 million copies worldwide.

Making it the greatest selling album of all time.

How any thread (no matter how innocent) can go "off the rails" / " in the weeds " so fast
    How threads end up being arguments to answer a simple question
    How these threads get pasted with non-related pictures (now removed)

How much fun it is to see your thread destabilized and spin out of control

I shudder to think of how the outside world reads/sees LHF ...

OBTW...........I am capable of looking up sales figures ... was asking your personal opinion
    of which albums are greatest TO YOU ...(as one member is fond of saying ..SHEESH )
    And it always seems to be the same usual suspects

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    And it always seems to be the same usual suspects
    yup, I was going to note that we now seem to have a NZ version of that UK guy , except the UK guy can do math...

He claims 120 million worldwide sales of an album ,,,,I ask for links , he can't provide any , in fact , I checked Google...nobody else seems to know that 120 million number either...they just have wildly varying guesses that change by website since overseas sales are not tracked accurately. The sites that liked the album guesstimate it higher ...even Wiki has no clue.

"Thriller became—and currently remains—the best-selling album of all time, with sales estimated by various sources as somewhere between 65 and 110 million copies worldwide"
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thriller_%28album%29

does this make sense to you ? ..estimates that disagree by 45 million units ??

120 million total worldwide minus the certified 29 million US sales = 91 million (more than 3x the US total amount) for the rest of the world...are there that many turntables in the rest of the world ?

I guess he can believe any number he wants ...although it doesn't pertain to the premise of this thread, and is just troll bait. Another add to the ignore list.

When I first put the needle down on these records, things changed in my world. Not always change for the better, but the world seemed different while listening.

Kind of Blue
    Are You Experienced?
    Sticky Fingers
    Abbey Road
    Europe '72 (sorry)
    Dark Side of the Moon
    Horses
    Remain in Light

Thanks for the reminders on the Bill Evans discs ... Amazon also has a crazy-cheap price on Turn Out the Stars - $39.71 - thats flat crazy for a 6 disc box set! Money is a bit tight right now for buying the 2 $100 each box sets, but the 6 disc set is impossible to ignore at that price!

We got the Bill Evans Oslo concert DVD from netflix last year - a very nice recording of his work.

Edit - 10:30AM -
    Just checked and The last Waltz is now available from Amazon/Newbury comics New for $69.99 ... again, a heck of a discount over the $100 price (supersaving shipping, too!)

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post
    I can help you there. Consecration: The Final Recordings Part 2 and The Last Waltz: The Final Recordings are again for sale. Set Google to "Shopping" and type in each title (or the short title and Bill Evans). Expect to pay about a hundred dollars for each eight CD set from his last recorded performances, eight nights in San Francisco. One collection is the first sets, the other the second sets. He was on fire and days from death.

Many feel he was strongest on nights three and four - he was very ill and could hardly breathe - but I like it all. On the last nights he let his band take more of the spotlight, and it is all good.

I found a great DVD a couple of months ago. It is called Bill Evans Trio: The Oslo Concerts. I bought it online. The first set is when Eddie Gomez first joined him. The second was the last time he was filmed; it is the only DVD I have seen with the last trio, the one on these CD sets.

Sorry to have drifted a little off topic.

Clark

PS Here is what Consecration is all about:

If one assembles these two collections with the Warner Bros.-released final Village Vanguard concerts, Turn Out the Stars, there is undeniable evidence that not only was Evans in a state of creative rebirth at the end of his life, but was perhaps at his zenith as a composer, arranger, and -- above all -- as an improviser. ~ Thom Jurek, Rovi
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Greatest Album Ever? That's not even a subjective question. It's a well-documented fact that the greatest album ever recorded is "Welcome to the Rat Race" by Vollmer. Judging by some of the comments above, the proof is that only 1,000 copies have been sold worldwide AND nobody knows who the heck this band is.

BUT, I'd be willing to say it's the worst, most commercial, down-to-the-lowest-common-denominator drek ever recorded if you all will help out and buy 1,000,000 of them off me!

http://www.cdbaby.com/Artist/Vollmer

All kidding aside, I love some of the top selling albums listed above and I also love some really obscure stuff most people have never heard of. I agree that we should be talking about the greatest album ever to each respondent.

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Thanks for the reminders on the Bill Evans discs ... Amazon also has a crazy-cheap price on Turn Out the Stars - $39.71 - thats flat crazy for a 6 disc box set! Money is a bit tight right now for buying the 2 $100 each box sets, but the 6 disc set is impossible to ignore at that price!
    I was just playing my copy of Turn Out the Stars for the first time and am comparing it to Consecration. Frankly the difference is startling. I am glad I now have the Village Vanguard recording of this trio, but no comparison. This is of course picking nits, as Turn Out the Stars is merely great (great!).

But Consecration is not only recorded much more to my liking, but the music on it is even more special, by quite a bit. The recording is much less dry and miked very differently. The playing is the best he ever did, ever. It is a level above what came before, even though only a few months had passed. It is like hearing Glenn Gould playing Bach on his beloved Steinway CD318, that is to say perfection, surprising perfection because we had no idea it could ever be this good.

I have to say Turn Out The Stars is worth forty dollars, and Consecration is worth one hundred - or even three hundred, if Bill Evans is your thing. What about The Last Waltz? It is at the same level, pretty much, but I have always personally liked Consecration even better. YMMV. My best friend like The Last Waltz better.
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere

After Neil Young heard 'The Rockets' at the Whiskey A Go-Go in 1968, his first album recorded with this group, who would become Crazy Horse, set the tone for the Grunge movement . Danny Whitten(born in my hometown of Columbus, Ga.), Ralph Molina and Billy Talbot would join Neil in a breakthrough album that to this day he says is among his favorites. Less than six months later, Cinnamon Girl, Down By The River and Cowgirl In The Sand were forever stamped in the memories of the sixties generation.

Quote Originally Posted by Hey19 View Post
    Cinnamon Girl, Down By The River and Cowgirl In The Sand were forever stamped in the memories of the sixties generation.
    I thought those were all the same song!

Kidding, of course. Great stuff from the artist my kids all call The Whiner.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Thread Information