Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Greatest ALBUM ever ??

Quote Originally Posted by Allanvh5150 View Post
    Very narrow minded. Do you not think that music sells because people like it?

I know that is a hard concept to grasp....
    Al,

You must live up one of those beautiful mountains down there with thin air ..... Commercial radio and the top forty are big business . IMHO, art and commerce are diametrically opposed by definition Do you really measure greatness in terms of $$$$$$ ?

BTW, another opinion , of which I seem to be in great abundance , a timeless classic !
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by richluvsound View Post
    BTW, another opinion , of which I seem to be in great abundance , a timeless classic !
    Greatest lyric ever ..

"You're breakin' my heart - You're tearing it apart so fuck you"

another honorable mention , one of my DIDs

Building the Perfect Beast - Don Henley
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Very narrow minded. Do you not think that music sells because people like it?

I know that is a hard concept to grasp....
    OK, another long time Yank cultural observation - The masses are asses.

These phrases are from the professionals- book and music publishers, record label executives and A & R men. For every Wallace Stevens sale there is a truckload of romance novels with Fabio on the cover.

We don't confuse reality with cultural elitism. We are not Soviet revisionists!
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post

woo hoo witchy woman
    see how high she flies
    woo hoo witchy woman
    she got the moon in her eyes

Wow - that some serious mass market top40 stuff ...
    ... as our friends overseas have said ...
    What a load a shite!

That doesn't make it great, it just means it sold a lot ...
    and puts me in mind of the PT Barnum quote ...
    "Nobody ever lost a dollar by underestimating the taste of the American public."
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

The Beetles? Never heard of them.

"Greatest" is rather a subjective term pretty much determined by individual tastes.

How about "landmark" albums?

Under that subject let me list a couple in Jazz:

Time Out - Dave Brubeck Quartet (and the next three in the "Time" series)

1938 Carnegie Hall Jazz Concert - Benny Goodman (a slight miracle it was recorded)

Greatest lyric ever ..

"You're breakin' my heart - You're tearing it apart so fuck you"

another honorable mention , one of my DIDs

Building the Perfect Beast - Don Henley
    Speaking of Don ....." Hotel California" has not been mentioned yet !

What is the definition of greatest?

2nd Biggest selling band....ABBA

Thes are without a doubt, the greatest albums ever.

The best-selling car is normally the Toyota Camry. It does nothing well other than doing nothing horribly. Last month the Nissan Altima beat it for #1 in sales. No one ever called either the "greatest" or "the best" at anything other than selling.

The best-selling vehicle in the USA is the Ford F150 pickup.
    Not the best, just the best-selling. There's a big difference.

Or put it this way: MP3 downloads sell better than LPs or Red Book CDs. Certainly that's a comparison anyone here can understand.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    The best-selling car is normally the Toyota Camry. It does nothing well other than doing nothing horribly. Last month the Nissan Altima beat it for #1 in sales. No one ever called either the "greatest" or "the best" at anything other than selling.

The best-selling vehicle in the USA is the Ford F150 pickup.
    Not the best, just the best-selling. There's a big difference.

Or put it this way: MP3 downloads sell better than LPs or Red Book CDs. Certainly that's a comparison anyone here can understand.
    I cant believe that you would compare the best selling car in the world, the one most people can afford, to the best selling album in the world, the one the most people like. Music is pretty much the same price no matter the genre. Music is purchased because people like it. Cars on the otherhand, are purchased because that particular model is the model the masses can afford.I am sure your average Toyota driver would rather be driving something else.

What is your deffinition of "Best"?

WOW, I have NONE of those , nor any desire to hear them either ....

the best selling US album was "Eagles Greatest Hits" , which I do have.

woo hoo witchy woman
    see how high she flies
    woo hoo witchy woman
    she got the moon in her eyes
    Actually it was Michael Jackson's Thriller..........

I have both

I cant believe that you would compare the best selling car in the world, the one most people can afford, to the best selling album in the world, the one the most people like. Music is pretty much the same price no matter the genre. Music is purchased because people like it. Cars on the otherhand, are purchased because that particular model is the model the masses can afford.I am sure your average Toyota driver would rather be driving something else.

What is your deffinition of "Best"?
    Believe it. And you're wrong, simply put.

Remember the old Monty Python piece on "Buying an Argument"?

The Camry isn't the cheapest car available. It is what people buy the most. The prices on a Camry range from $20,000 to $30,000 USD. A Ford F150 ranges from $22,415 to $51,140. There are cheaper Toyotas and there are cheaper Fords, Chevys, Kias, Hyundais, and Hondas. You were the one equating popularity with "greatness", not me. The question wasn't "best" it was "greatest". While those may mean the same thing to many people, nothing about either implies ubiquity or even popularity.

Semantic arguments on the Internet always bring out the worst in everyone. I know what "best" means to me. What does it mean to you? Cheapest? Most common? Most popular? We can define this and we can have opinions on it with respect to albums. It's not like asking "What is the greatest color?"

Blue!

best |best| superlative of good .
    adjective
    of the most excellent, effective, or desirable type or quality : the best pitcher in the league | how to obtain the best results from your machine | her best black suit.
    • most enjoyable : some of the best times of my life.
    • most appropriate, advantageous, or well advised : do whatever you think best | it's best if we both go
    great |grāt|
    adjective
    1 of an extent, amount, or intensity considerably above the normal or average : the article was of great interest | she showed great potential as an actor.
    • very large and imposing : a great ocean between them.
    • [ attrib. ] used to reinforce another adjective of size or extent : a great big grin.
    • [ attrib. ] used to express surprise, admiration, or contempt, esp. in exclamations : you great oaf!
    • (also greater) [ attrib. ] used in names of animals or plants that are larger than similar kinds, e.g., great auk, greater flamingo.
    • ( Greater) [ attrib. ] (of a city) including adjacent urban areas : Greater Cleveland.
    2 of ability, quality, or eminence considerably above the normal or average : the great Italian conductor | we obeyed our great men and leaders | great art has the power to change lives.
    • ( the Great) a title denoting the most important person of the name : Alexander the Great.
    • informal very good or satisfactory; excellent : this has been another great year | what a great guy | wouldn't it be great to have him back? | [as exclam. ] “Great!” said Tom.
    • [ predic. ] informal (of a person) very skilled or capable in a particular area : a brilliant man, great at mathematics.
    3 [ attrib. ] denoting the element of something that is the most important or the most worthy of consideration : the great thing is the challenge.
    • used to indicate that someone or something particularly deserves a specified description : I was a great fan of Hank's.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Believe it. And you're wrong, simply put.

Remember the old Monty Python piece on "Buying an Argument"?

The Camry isn't the cheapest car available. It is what people buy the most. The prices on a Camry range from $20,000 to $30,000 USD. A Ford F150 ranges from $22,415 to $51,140. There are cheaper Toyotas and there are cheaper Fords, Chevys, Kias, Hyundais, and Hondas. You were the one equating popularity with "greatness", not me. The question wasn't "best" it was "greatest". While those may mean the same thing to many people, nothing about either implies ubiquity or even popularity.

Semantic arguments on the Internet always bring out the worst in everyone. I know what "best" means to me. What does it mean to you? Cheapest? Most common? Most popular? We can define this and we can have opinions on it with respect to albums. It's not like asking "What is the greatest color?"

Blue!
    Well duh.....people buy toyotas because the can. people dont buy a specific album because it fits their price bracket. Look at it another way: The greatest number of albums sold by title, is thriller. Now argue the point on that one.

Well duh.....people buy toyotas because the can. people dont buy a specific album because it fits their price bracket. Look at it another way: The greatest number of albums sold by title, is thriller. Now argue the point on that one.
    What IS your point? You seem to keep insisting that the album with with the most sales is "the greatest album ever". If that's what it means for you, then fantastic for you. We certainly don't need this thread anymore. Question asked and answered. QED.

I have no doubt that for many here that's not sufficient criteria. Not all of us are lemmings and I don't believe the OP was simply asking which album sold the most.

Assuming you just missed the point, can I ask if you feel the Toyota Camry is the greatest car ever made? I believe I once heard the top-selling "car" ever is actually the Little Tikes Cozy Coupe. Certainly not the "greatest car" in anyone's mind over about six-years old.

You know what I love about this forum ???

How any thread (no matter how innocent) can go "off the rails" / " in the weeds " so fast
    How threads end up being arguments to answer a simple question
    How these threads get pasted with non-related pictures (now removed)

How much fun it is to see your thread destabilized and spin out of control

I shudder to think of how the outside world reads/sees LHF ...

OBTW...........I am capable of looking up sales figures ... was asking your personal opinion
    of which albums are greatest TO YOU ...(as one member is fond of saying ..SHEESH )

Actually it was Michael Jackson's Thriller..........

I have both

Straight from the RIAA itself:

Top 100 Albums

Level Title Artist Label

29 EAGLES/THEIR GREATEST HITS 1971 - 1975 EAGLES
    29 THRILLER JACKSON, MICHAEL EPIC/LEGACY
    23 LED ZEPPELIN IV LED ZEPPELIN ATLANTIC
    23 THE WALL PINK FLOYD COLUMBIA

http://www.riaa.com/goldandplatinumd...able=tblTop100

Top 100 Albums
    EAGLES/THEIR GREATEST HITS 1971 - 1975 EAGLES
    THRILLER JACKSON, MICHAEL EPIC/LEGACY
    Proud to say I own neither.

A list of top albums that includes Britney Spears should certainly disprove any theory of correlation between sales-numbers and greatness.

Quality not Quantity!

Thread Information