Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this an original 4343B ?

Is this an original 4343B ?

Hello,
    here is a picture of a 4343B. Are there any Doubts? Is this an original cabinet?
    The seller means it is original and build in 1985... is this possible?
    Many Thanks for your answers...

Edit: I have inserted a picture from the back...
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Probably not...

I am always open to being mistaken, but here's my opinion.

First, the front edges of the cabinet aren't beveled - they look like they're flat, and the veneer in the corners isn't cut at a 45deg angle around the corner. However, I think I remember the 4343 in utility grey might have skipped the beveled front, so maybe this started out as a real 4343B in utility grey and got a veneer and paint job?

Second, the port tubes come all the way through - originals came from the back and didn't come all the way through the front baffle. Again, maybe it started out original and someone felt the need to retune the cabinet. The inside of the ports were also painted blue.

Third, the blue doesn't look right, though it could be the camera/lighting.

I don't know what else may be missing, but I don't think it is a pristine, highly collectable original - it is either a fairly well implemented clone, or an original that has had work done. A shot of the back would help to see if it has the original input terminals, as would a shot of the interior of the cabinet with the woofer removed, as bracing and insulation don't lie...

To me it looks like they are original 4343's, that is: originally in the studio gray finish, witch later have been veneered. They looks like my 4343's when I first got them, but then they was painted black outside, and the front painted JBL blue. Later I veneered them in American Walnut, with the original shape of the front wooden list.

Guido will know, as I bought them from him.

I miss some Grill Pegs and the reflex tubes look strange.

If it is a clone it is a good clone.

hung jury

the holes on the back panel that allow bolts to thread into the metal supports aren't there either. get a picture of the bottom - the risers should be removable.

Thumbs up good looking speakers

i wished that i could have those 4343B. but i don´t have the money :-(
    they´re looking very good an seemed to be close to new as they came out of the factory. i´ve seen a pair of 43443B years ago in a big recording facility in new-jersey. but they were not in this good shape like the one on the picture here.

mr. jaybeel

Well done!

I think this should be the very original,
    but quiet better looking studio version of the 4343B!

Hi..

I agree to the differences my pre-posters showed.. I marked them in red..

Name:  4343B-clone_diff.jpg
Views: 3248
Size:  199.9 KB
    And I add.. --> the dustcap of my 2120 bass-mid is inverted.. and the "hook-and-loop fasteners" for the grill-frame are different..

But I think it might be an original.. or even a very very good clone..

--> where a builder should get such rare parts like dividing network and ALU-Label round the volume-panesl
    --> backside terminal looks very original

greets..

Andreas
    JBL 4343b-monitors and vintage german fullrange-drivers

Quote Originally Posted by subwoof View Post
    the holes on the back panel that allow bolts to thread into the metal supports aren't there either. get a picture of the bottom - the risers should be removable.
    Hi..

I am sorry, I do not understand the meaning of "hung jury", my english is not as good as your german.. ;o))

I own a pair of 4343b, shown in my other posting.. -- is it possible to see a photo of such a "hung jury" ..?? .. and perhaps your hung jury is not original ??

Andreas

Hung Jury

A hung jury is a well endowed one!

I think these are not orginal 4343B. These look real.

Quote Originally Posted by 4343b_bremen View Post
    Hi..

I am sorry, I do not understand the meaning of "hung jury", my english is not as good as your german.. ;o))

I own a pair of 4343b, shown in my other posting.. -- is it possible to see a photo of such a "hung jury" ..?? .. and perhaps your hung jury is not original ??

Andreas
    Some clear pictures are here - http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...erences-Thread

But, so many other things are "different" than most 4343 cabinets that I think the opinion is its probable they are clones, not original 4343 speakers.

Oh, and as a point of reference - our speakers in my Avatar are 4341 model ...
    a bit older and slightly smaller cabinet, tho with the same drivers otherwise ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by 4343b_bremen View Post
    Hi..

Andreas
    The legal definition of Hung Jury is A jury which is unable to arrive at a required unanimous or near unanimous verdict.

Google is your friend ;-)

Hi..

aah, thank you... :o)

.. to deceide if it is original or not.. -- perhaps some photos of inside can help..?

Name:  4343b_innen_0_800.jpg
Views: 5249
Size:  129.8 KB

Name:  4343b_innen_2_800.jpg
Views: 5872
Size:  134.5 KB

Name:  4343b_innen_3_800.jpg
Views: 4977
Size:  143.6 KB

Name:  4343b_innen_weiche_800.jpg
Views: 5880
Size:  125.7 KB

greets..

Andreas

opinion

After seeing all the posts, and after restoring/owning pairs of 4345, (3) 4343, (2) 4341 and MANY 4333/1, I will say that they are clones. Period.

Und was is den los mit mein "jury"..

BTW my last name is pronounced the same as "jury" by 99% of non-irish..

Skol

clones

CLONES - Clones - Clones

No need for continued discussion. Everything is wrong with these - port tubes, screwed in lower baffle, no beveled face trim, rear panel has a terminal cutout that is centered and larger than original. Factory 4343 cabs have the terminal cutout to the left of center and visible to the left will be 6 tee nuts that mount the 3143 network. Also the terminal cutout lacks the 3/4" dia rounded corners.

BTW - 4343's did not come with a removable base and eye bolts for hanging. This option was limited to the 4340's, 4341's and 4350's. The ability to hang the 4333's and 4343's was facilitated by removing screws in the back panel and installing eye bolts, etc. The 4343 was finished on all 4 sides with NO holes for anything.

Thread Information