Thread: JBL L100: S-8 vs. S-8R, What's the Difference?

JBL L100: S-8 vs. S-8R, What's the Difference?

I'm getting ready to sell my pair of L100s (on Craigslist) that I bought new in 1972. In going through my file I found the original manual and warranty card, as well as the sales receipt. But there was a second receipt that said: "$80 charge for difference of speakers, S-8 instead of S-8R." Does anyone know what that was about? (It's been too long--I forget.)

At first I thought that it pertained to one of the electronics inside the L100s. But then I remembered that, being in college at the time, I fell on hard times and made a deal with the stereo dealer to trade in my Sovereigns for the L100s, with them paying me the difference. So are those numbers referring to the Sovereigns, or the L100s?

Quote Originally Posted by Lee6 View Post
    At first I thought that it pertained to one of the electronics inside the L100s. But then I remembered that, being in college at the time, I fell on hard times and made a deal with the stereo dealer to trade in my Sovereigns for the L100s, with them paying me the difference. So are those numbers referring to the Sovereigns, or the L100s?
    Probably they quoted you a trade value on an S8R system and it turned out you only had the S8 (no passive radiators), so they charged you $80 more than the original quote.

If you'd have kept the S8s instead of buying the L100s you'd likely not be selling your JBLs today!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Thanks. I think you're right. I just wasn't sure and didn't want to give out any wrong information about my L100s.

Yes, I loved those Sovereigns, but the L100s fit inside my VW Bug! Making moving so much easier. And besides, after settling in CA I had the room again and picked up a nice pair of L200s, which I still have and plan to keep.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee6 View Post
    Thanks. I think you're right. I just wasn't sure and didn't want to give out any wrong information about my L100s.

Yes, I loved those Sovereigns, but the L100s fit inside my VW Bug! Making moving so much easier. And besides, after settling in CA I had the room again and picked up a nice pair of L200s, which I still have and plan to keep.
    Hah! I understand. When moving from MO to VA almost forty-years ago my C37s fit in the backseat of my BMW 1600-2. I had to remove the rear-seat bottom and carry that in the trunk, and make a plywood floor for the back-seat area for the cabinets to sit on, but while I had them there I decided to hook them up to my in-dash cassette player for the 800-mile drive!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Thread Information