Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Marantz AV7005 for HT

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Paul View Post
    I dunno... I think I could live with it
    Thanks
    This Marantz is pretty darn nice.

Quote Originally Posted by maxwedge View Post
    It has one nine band graphic eq per channel. You can't change it unless you defeat Audyssey but you have 3 options for it in Audyssey: The Audyssey curve, Audyssey Flat and L&R defeat. I haven't messed with these much but I like the 1st best so far but I think I'm going to have to play with #3 some!
    There is also Audyssey Pro where you have infinite control, but it will cost you a few bucks for the license key and a couple of Guinness beers for the operator.

As for two-channel, I think it was quite competent... not state of the art, but then it doesn't cost a ton of money either and it does do just everything you could ever want! I was impressed with it.

Widget

Thumbs up It's a date

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    There is also Audyssey Pro where you have infinite control, but it will cost you a few bucks for the license key and a couple of Guinness beers for the operator.

As for two-channel, I think it was quite competent... not state of the art, but then it doesn't cost a ton of money either and it does do just everything you could ever want! I was impressed with it.

Widget
    How's about Guinness and BQ? Maybe next week end?

JBL 4645
    I'm out of space but I'm hoping to redo my racks this summer. The new racks may be kind of radical and room specific.

Anyway the phase problem when I Audyessy each L&R systems separately is not there, only when combined and then it's only with the left side. I'm sure the problem is with my big system but haven't found it yet.

It has one nine band graphic eq per channel. You can't change it unless you defeat Audyssey but you have 3 options for it in Audyssey: The Audyssey curve, Audyssey Flat and L&R defeat. I haven't messed with these much but I like the 1st best so far but I think I'm going to have to play with #3 some!
    The rack space that you are your gonna need a bigger rack!

As to the phase issue I’m willing to bet its internal in the AVP as mine does the same when summing or merging the LCRS with LFE.1 one of the output channels surrounds slightly canales along centre and so I say stuff THX 80Hz they can cram it up their ass because it doesn’t serve well with discrete film mixes it messes it right up.

Its okay with Dolby Stereo 4.2.4 matrix I noticed this years ago before I joined the forum. Use separates to handle the bass management and sum them together independently and make small trims while observing the RTA or SPL home THX is cheap cut around corners to make people like myself thinking I’m at the EMPIRE back in 1989 the pro THX handles it way different from the home version.

Even THX re-eq is annoying you have listen with only the surrounds turned on switch the fronts LCR off and listen you’ll hear right surround sounding like someone is using a handsaw in the living room and its really distracting! You don’t get that nonsense in the cinema!

I tend to keep THX turned off now and trim the LCRS to curve downwards or set flat and use the HP filter on the EQ to cut back if its really toppy home THX can’t cut back if its over bright its prefixed and prefixed sucks because we have no user control what so ever.

Its good for badge Personally I’d prefer the pro THX over home THX.Yes my Kenwood KRF-X9050D THX select is past sale-date but still running after almost 12 years use.

I’ll be looking for an Onkyo AVR with all the pre-output channels as and when the time, comes around I was close to getting a new AVR a few years ago.

Anyway you have some extra fiddling around. Oh we have same film Tron Legacy only different sound system. I seen how low it goes on spectrum lab the JBL handle it well on the first night the floor vibrated silly in few moments of the disc fighting contest that lead on to light-cycles. LFE.1 handled well and only came in as and when on the mix. Mostly it was lows over LCRS that was active.

So did you buy the box set or single disc?

Day off early listening to 2ch on the big speakers

1st a refresh for those that don't know my speakers:
    2245's in 9cf box tuned to ~28hz, 2206 mid bass in 1.5 cf sealed box and 2445's with 2385 (60 deg) horns. The compression drivers have the Truextent Beryllium diaphragms and the crossover is active with 24db slopes at 200hz, and 630hz.
    The Marantz low-Z out goes into a pair Rane GE30 60mm slider 31 band eq and then into the Rane AC24 digital x-over with cd horn boost starting around 6-7k.
    Lately I had been applying minimal eq and just trying to get the levels of the drivers set for a balanced sound and I found that I was enjoying that better than trying to eq flat with the rta.

Ok, so that had been sounding really killer through my mixing board.

Using Audyssey, it applies a 5db cut at 2k and 4k, a 3db cut at 8k and a 2db boost at 16k. The bottom end is pretty flat except for a 5db cut at 63hz for my left side and I'm sure that is because it is against a wall.
    Audyssey flat cuts 2db at 2k, 4db at 4k, 2db at 8k and a big boost of 4-5db at 16k.

So I was listening to all three and I clearly prefer the L&R defeat setting for these speakers. The Audyssey curve sounds fairly muffled and the flat curve is a bit better but still drab to me.

L&R defeat is it is until mr widget comes by to apply his magic pro curves.
    It sounds Killer like this again.

And JBL 4645, the L&R book shelves were off during all this!

1st a refresh for those that don't know my speakers:
    2245's in 9cf box tuned to ~28hz, 2206 mid bass in 1.5 cf sealed box and 2445's with 2385 (60 deg) horns. The compression drivers have the Truextent Beryllium diaphragms and the crossover is active with 24db slopes at 200hz, and 630hz.
    Sounds like a potentially awesome system!

Using Audyssey, it applies a 5db cut at 2k and 4k, a 3db cut at 8k and a 2db boost at 16k. The bottom end is pretty flat except for a 5db cut at 63hz for my left side and I'm sure that is because it is against a wall.

Audyssey flat cuts 2db at 2k, 4db at 4k, 2db at 8k and a big boost of 4-5db at 16k.
    The standard Audyssey curves are all based on movie soundtracks and are typically not ideal for a basic music system... that said, you may have gotten used to a bit of mid emphasis that isn't exactly neutral.

We'll have to do a bit of exploration to see what is going on. I am not sure I can commit to next weekend, but when I make it out there I'll bring CLIO along and see what you are normally listening to to give us a baseline. With the newer versions of Audyssey, if we determine that a narrow or broad peak here or there is most desirable to you we can implement that and still have all of the phase and time correction that Audyssey can provide.

Shoot me a PM during the week and let's talk about scheduling a get together.

Widget

JBL 4645
    Hey why not quiz audyssey by sending them a few questions online?

http://ask.audyssey.com/entries/1056...nd-multeq-xt32

Widget
    I think he means this product...below

This audyssey costs $5grand! SIGH! I think you’ll have to knock off a few 7/11 shops to get the $5k! 8chanel inputs and outputs. One thing the product is holding out on is how many EQ bands does it supply per single output!

Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post

I think he means this product...

Nope, he doesn't mean that hardware - he means the pro software ...
    My Integra can run it also, but its supposed to be unlocked by a certified dealer/tech only, its not available to casual owners of the gear that runs the Audyssey software otherwise.

From one of the online HT Audio forums:

"I sell Denon, Onkyo, Integra, Harman Kardon; and at the last Denon training they explained that Audyssey Pro is for making more revenue at the dealer level. First, you need the Audyssey pro software and microphone $350.00 dealer cost (I only list dealer cost because the mic and software are not available for consumers to buy, does not matter how much you beg your dealer, next step: purchase key to unlock Audyssey Pro $125.00 (these are specific keys for serial number of unit being calibrated) labor cost: 2 hours @$95.00 hour at the store I work at. Oh, and again, Audyssey Pro is can only be accessed by an authorized dealer/installer!!!!!"
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    My Integra can run it also, but its supposed to be unlocked by a certified dealer/tech only, its not available to casual owners of the gear that runs the Audyssey software otherwise.

"I sell Denon, Onkyo, Integra, Harman Kardon; and at the last Denon training they explained that Audyssey Pro is for making more revenue at the dealer level. First, you need the Audyssey pro software and microphone $350.00 dealer cost (I only list dealer cost because the mic and software are not available for consumers to buy, does not matter how much you beg your dealer, next step: purchase key to unlock Audyssey Pro $125.00 (these are specific keys for serial number of unit being calibrated) labor cost: 2 hours @$95.00 hour at the store I work at. Oh, and again, Audyssey Pro is can only be accessed by an authorized dealer/installer!!!!!"
    No wonder they don’t want to share with the other children they’re making a big deal out of it.

Pay this, amount for the golden eq ticket.

No thanks I wouldn't hand those crocks over any money to fund their project! You shell out hundreds on AVR/AVP and they're still greedy for more money! SIGH

Exactly.

Once again proof that you can not trust all that you read on the internet. Who ever that whining poster was, he doesn't have his facts straight.

First, anyone can buy an Audyssey Pro installation kit. I sold one to a forum member. Audyssey has no issues with such a sale.

Second, the license key costs dealers more than $125.

Then his inference about the fact that only a dealer can set up Audyssey Pro sounds like conspiracy theory. Yes, it is true that only a dealer can sell you a key and set up your system, but we are trained how to use it and very likely know far more about setting up an audio system than the average consumer. The average consumers are the fine people who amaze us regularly with their insightful ads on eBay and with their vast audio knowledge in general. With Audyssey Pro in the hands of a typical consumer they have the potential of damaging their speakers and a great possibility of making the system sound worse after a poor calibration than it did without any.

Is Audyssey Pro worth it? In my experience the better the system and the better the room, the more subtle it's affect. I have used it in some pretty terrible rooms and it has been stunning... the basic Audyssey that does not use the Pro kit and software can be useful, but it is nowhere nearly as powerful as the Pro version. In general I have been very impressed with Audyssey, and in it's current iteration where you can manipulate the room curve to suit your taste, it can be a very powerful tool.

A profit center? Hardly... a useful tool? Often.

Widget

No wonder they don’t want to share with the other children they’re making a big deal out of it.

Pay this, amount for the golden eq ticket.

No thanks I wouldn't hand those crooks over any money to fund their project!
    You shell out hundreds on AVR/AVP and they're still greedy for more money! SIGH
    Not hundreds, a good AVP/AVR usually goes for above a thousand ...
    then again, it sounds better than Rane or Behringer or any of their low-buck "pro" gear ...
    Its all what you want to pay for - and some folks have much much deeper pockets than the rest of us,
    and prefer a better integrated solution.

There's no need to slam them because that's the choice they made -
    just as mounting dozens of Control speakers all over the walls may be your choice ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

I think he means this product...below

This audyssey costs $5grand! SIGH! I think you’ll have to knock off a few 7/11 shops to get the $5k! 8chanel inputs and outputs. One thing the product is holding out on is how many EQ bands does it supply per single output!
    That Audyssey Pro equalizer is a pretty darn impressive unit there!

I was reading over at the Audyssey website and they suggest all the speakers to be set to small, even if your speakers go full range. I wounder if that applies if you have 18's in your L&R?
    Their reasoning is because they say that the sub output has much better eq control for LF than the other outputs. I'll give it a whirl but I think it would be better for movies than stereo.

First, anyone can buy an Audyssey Pro installation kit. I sold one to a forum member. Audyssey has no issues with such a sale.
    Yeah, I remember reading that at one time. I think in the long run I would want to buy a kit but not for some time.

JBL 4645
    Not hundreds, a good AVP/AVR usually goes for above a thousand ...
    then again, it sounds better than Rane or Behringer or any of their low-buck "pro" gear ...
    Its all what you want to pay for - and some folks have much much deeper pockets than the rest of us,
    and prefer a better integrated solution.

There's no need to slam them because that's the choice they made -
    just as mounting dozens of Control speakers all over the walls may be your choice ...
    No because it looks damn cool over dipolar costing hundreds for pair!

If I had several dozens FBQ2496 daisy chinned to make up a single 200 bands per channel though might be more than I would need I could use PEQ for wide to narrow crunching down on the offensive peaks at far less price than $5grand £2993.00 talk about an over-costly toy to EQ the room automatically, that's because most are lazy to do it manually.

JBL 4645
    That Audyssey Pro equalizer is a pretty darn impressive unit there!

I was reading over at the Audyssey website and they suggest all the speakers to be set to small, even if your speakers go full range. I wounder if that applies if you have 18's in your L&R?
    Their reasoning is because they say that the sub output has much better eq control for LF than the other outputs. I'll give it a whirl but I think it would be better for movies than stereo.
    You go out and spend $5K and open it up and see what makes it tick, and tell us.

I read a few members posts on other sites we’re still having trouble with it. And only few seem to be having success with it.

Thread Information