Thread: JBL L166 Horizon midrange dust cap

JBL L166 Horizon midrange dust cap

Hi everyone. This is my first post on this forum so a big warm g'day from me in Canberra, Australia. I'm hoping someone can help me with a little issue I have with a pair of L166 Horizons I've just acquired. One of the midranges has the dust cap punched in. I think I'd like to replace it but can't find any anywhere. Can anyone help?? I love the warm big sound these speakers create. I'm a vintage hifi nut and have lots of stuff but the jbls at this stage are in the main system.

Can anyone help make them perfect?

Cheers.

Lencoloony

You might find an entire replacement driver sooner.
    Sometimes they're quite reasonable price-wise.

Never hurts (much) to ask though.

Lencoloony: Welcome.

I wonder if you use some double-sided sticky tape of some kind on the end of stick etc, and try to pull that dent out?

Quote Originally Posted by RKLee View Post
    Lencoloony: Welcome.

I wonder if you use some double-sided sticky tape of some kind on the end of stick etc, and try to pull that dent out?
    I tried the vacuum cleaner method (very carefully of course!) but no good. I could try a pin and then put some glue on the hole. But the dust cap is plastic and will look creased. Perhaps I should just put the darn grills on and forget about it ..... no, that didn't work!

Lencoloony: Well, I think it looks kind of nasty, but does having a good dust cap really affect the sound that much?

Personally, I would think it would be inconsequential to the sound. Personally I would just slap the grill in front of it, and just enjoy the speaker.

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoloony View Post
    I tried the vacuum cleaner method (very carefully of course!) but no good. I could try a pin and then put some glue on the hole. But the dust cap is plastic and will look creased. Perhaps I should just put the darn grills on and forget about it ..... no, that didn't work!
    It's aluminum and unobtanium unless someone discovers a NOS stash of them somewhere.

Tape has worked the best for me to pull out dents.

Quote Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
    Tape has worked the best for me to pull out dents.
    Thanks for the posts everyone. I didn't realise the midrange dust cap was aluminium. I'm glad I didn't try the pin method as that would have screwed the cap big time. I'm trying to find an replacement but no luck so far. The bottom line will be to put those rather neat grills back on and slap myself for being a perfectionist!

By the way, you guys in the states are so lucky to have so many great vintage Lansing and jbl speakers on the second hand market to choose from. They are like gold over here in Oz. If only postage for these great speakers from the states was affordable .....

Cheers.

Lenocloony

Thread Information