Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "new" to me 4311 b's

"new" to me 4311 b's

Hi all,

Not quite sure where to post this, feel free to redirect...

I just bought a pair of 4311 b's from a private party. He says he bought them from the original owner. One of the grille frames is broken and one of the mid drivers has had the dust cap replaced. All visually a little tired looking but they sound good, as far as I know anyway....I don't have an amplifier yet, just plugged an ipod through my PA into the speakers to make sure they worked..

My question is, should I be checking anything out on these? Is there a way to check the crossovers, are there caps to replace???

I bought these because I wanted a "big" 70's sound in my little studio to play records and CD's through and these speakers have the rep among musicians. I don't really have much to compare them to. I had a pair of L100 T's years ago that I quite liked.

All comments appreciated!

Cheers,

Bernie

If you already bought then then there's nothing to do except power them up. make sure the surrounds aren't rotted or you'll burn up the spiders on the woofers. You can always have the dust caps replaced and make some grill frames or watch for one or 2 grilles on ebay (our favorite place).

Grilles are for WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) anyway, I play all of mine naked.
    4406, 4412A, L100, L100t3 (3 pair), L1, L7, 4645C, 4660A, 4695B, SR4735 and various DIY JBL Pro loaded systems.

thanks! I take it the

surrounds are ok, as they seem to show no evidence of rot on the edges. (Through the coating anyway.)

On to the search for a suitable amplifier!

Cheers,

Bernie

Quote Originally Posted by Bern1 View Post
    surrounds are ok, as they seem to show no evidence of rot on the edges. (Through the coating anyway.)

Cheers,

Bernie
    Get a nice little vintage Crown or Yamaha pro amp.

sounds, good which

Yamahas and/or Crowns do you think would be a good match? I'm looking for something without a fan. It seems that I would be looking for about 150W per side for these speakers? Was considering an Adcom GFA 555 II as well... Don't know much about this kind of gear though really, tube guitar amps is what I really know.

Thanks for all suggestions!

I have a Crown PS 200 that would work well, sounds good with my 4311B's. $130 plus shipping.

http://www.crownaudio.com/pdf/legacy/k1072-6.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Triumph Don View Post
    I have a Crown PS 200 that would work well, sounds good with my 4311B's. $130 plus shipping.
    Is it like the one in the link where the IOC lights have a panel piece around them, or are the LEDs just protruding through holes in the faceplate? I'm looking for one more of the latter.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by Audiobeer View Post
    If you already bought then then there's nothing to do except power them up. make sure the surrounds aren't rotted or you'll burn up the spiders on the woofers. You can always have the dust caps replaced and make some grill frames or watch for one or 2 grilles on ebay (our favorite place).
    I think I now see that you mean the foam that is around the circumference up against the edge. I'm surmising that's kind of like a shock absorber? I never knew what that was for.

In any case it looks to be in good shape, thanks for the pointer!

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Is it like the one in the link where the IOC lights have a panel piece around them, or are the LEDs just protruding through holes in the faceplate? I'm looking for one more of the latter.
    It is one of the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by Triumph Don View Post

http://www.crownaudio.com/pdf/legacy/k1072-6.pdf
    Thanks Triumph Don, I'd like to buy it. PM sent.

Bernie

Yamahas and/or Crowns do you think would be a good match? I'm looking for something without a fan. It seems that I would be looking for about 150W per side for these speakers? Was considering an Adcom GFA 555 II as well... Don't know much about this kind of gear though really, tube guitar amps is what I really know.

Thanks for all suggestions!
    That crown sounds like a good deal.

If you ever trip across a good Yamaha PC2002/M for under $250, snatch it up. PC4002M and PC5002M are of course, holy grail Yamaha amps but the PC4002M has fans. Still somewhat regret selling one of my two PC4002M, but it helped fund the PC5002M.

Quote Originally Posted by brutal View Post
    If you ever trip across a good Yamaha PC2002/M for under $250, snatch it up.
    Thanks for the suggestion!

I'd be open to buying one of those too for a different application if anybody knows of one.

Also would be interested in another Crown PS200 if somebody else wants to sell one.

Thanks for all the comments!

Bernie

anybody familiar with ebay seller

junkodesu? He is selling repro black wood grilles with cloth for 43xx series JBL's. How close is the cloth to the originals...or does it even matter? Seems like an ok deal for $50 shipped. I've been trying to get a hold of the fellow (Rick I think?) selling the repro black cloth on this forum but haven't been succesful yet. It sounded like he was running out so I pulled the trigger on Junkodesu' s repros. Hopefully Junkodesu's will look appropriate.....it's gotta be better than the shagged originals I have.

I know some of you like the naked look, it's kind of cool but where these are going I think it's wise to have at least a little "protection".

The Crown and Yamaha suggestions are great... but for a quick inexpensive "temporary" solution you can pick up a good old '70s Kenwood or Pioneer integrated for $40... a decent amp and pre all in one. Hell, they even have acceptable phonograph sections.

Widget

Thread Information