Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: My 4520 project

That's just too cool!
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

I just don't understand

why you would insist on using a wimpy double 15" scoop cab instead of a true dual 18" 25Hz horn.....

Very kickazz looking system!

Quote Originally Posted by badman View Post
    why you would insist on using a wimpy double 15" scoop cab instead of a true dual 18" 25Hz horn...
    Don't worry about that. I am working on it, and Eaulive will probably follow after I build mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee in Montreal View Post
    Don't worry about that. I am working on it, and Eaulive will probably follow after I build mine.
    Man, I have storage problems already

Quote Originally Posted by Eaulive View Post
    Man, I have storage problems already
    Don't store them. Use them daily in your living room. Properly equalized and timed, the 4520 can become hi-fi.

Don't store them. Use them daily in your living room. Properly equalized and timed, the 4520 can become hi-fi.
    That's my plan, as soon as I get a living room

That's my plan, as soon as I get a living room
    Get a big one as when I build my new twin 18" 4520s you might end up with my current cabinets... Four 4520 in you mofo living room...

Get a big one as when I build my new twin 18" 4520s you might end up with my current cabinets... Four 4520 in you mofo living room...
    I still have to measure and listen to a 4520 compared to two 4530, to see if it's really worth it to have those back breakers.
    Of course with the same drivers.

Ok, had a party this weekend, it cost me a 2225H

Now I was really not driving that hard, it was very quiet for the whole afternoon when my nephew wanted to hear a specific song so I cranked it up for 30 seconds... then I heard a buzz...buzz...BUZZ...BUZZ...BUZZ...BUZZ.

Sh*t

VC arced against the top plate, just at the place where the wire goes down vertically to the bottom of the coil, making the whole thing thicker.
    Then the wire started dropping in to the gap and it was the end, about 1/3rd of the wire was unrolled into the bottom of the magnet. No signs of heating, burning, melting or deformation whatsoever.
    Varnish gave up?

I don't know if JBL screwed up with their tolerances or if it's me when I reconed it.
    I have the doubt because the first four C8R2225 I received had to be returned to JBL because they were soooo visually out of specs. (they didn't even argue with me) The one that burned saturday "looked" OK, but...

The two first I reconed were in use in a friend's 4530 for a while, and they took more abuse with a 600W amplifier, they are still alive.
    The amp I was using this weekend was 450W.

I still don't understand

Maybe there was some coil rubbing thru the varnish as you mention...
    Did you use a high pass filter to protect the driver from VLFs and excessive excursion? Nothing happens below 30Hz anyway with that driver anyway. Might well cut-off there. Perhaps the very low frequencies moved the coil beyond its comfort zone, flexing the spider and suspension, moving the coil out of alignment. Which would have caused the rubbing. This is unlikely, but perhaps possible. I feel sorry for you.

Please let us know what you meant by one of the recone kit being out of specs? Where they the new "Hecho en Mexico" recone kits?

Maybe there was some coil rubbing thru the varnish as you mention...
    Did you use a high pass filter to protect the driver from VLFs and excessive excursion? Nothing happens below 30Hz anyway with that driver anyway. Might well cut-off there. Perhaps the very low frequencies moved the coil beyond its comfort zone, flexing the spider and suspension, moving the coil out of alignment. Which would have caused the rubbing. This is unlikely, but perhaps possible. I feel sorry for you.

Please let us know what you meant by one of the recone kit being out of specs? Where they the new "Hecho en Mexico" recone kits?
    Yep, I have the driverack with a 24dB/oct LPF at 30Hz.
    I'm usually very cautious when I crank up the volume, I dont run the amps into clipping, I listen and control depending on the program material, I'm no AKTTR freak (All Knobs To The Right)

The first batch of four C8R2225 I received from JBL were made in Mexico.
    There was two among those that were instanly rejected, on one the former was shorter than the length of the coil causing the end of the winding to be wound up in free air. (yes you read me right, I'll send you pictures)
    And a badly wound VC on the second, the first 2 or 3 turns looked like wrinkled spaguetti.

The two that were good I installed and Stéphane used them in your old 4530 connected full range to a XS900 (600Wpc) He gave them a good blast for longer runs than I did. I remember feeling the heat on the cone and dust cap after one session.

Now it's one from the new batch that died. On this batch there was visually no flaws AFAIR.
    However I wrote a little dot on the back of the cone and this must mean something but I don't remember what

Now I have doubts, maybe something was wrong and slipped my visual inspection? Maybe I screwed up when I did the recone?
    Further inspection of the core will maybe tell me.

I got some moving dollies at Menards.

Hey Olivier.

Time to spend $50 on casters now. It might save you $500 in chiropractor later
    They were on sale for $19.00
    If you can remain calm in a crises, you don't understand the situation!

I uesed 2226 in the 4520 that used for Church sub.

Ok, had a party this weekend, it cost me a 2225H

Now I was really not driving that hard, it was very quiet for the whole afternoon when my nephew wanted to hear a specific song so I cranked it up for 30 seconds... then I heard a buzz...buzz...BUZZ...BUZZ...BUZZ...BUZZ.

Sh*t

VC arced against the top plate, just at the place where the wire goes down vertically to the bottom of the coil, making the whole thing thicker.
    Then the wire started dropping in to the gap and it was the end, about 1/3rd of the wire was unrolled into the bottom of the magnet. No signs of heating, burning, melting or deformation whatsoever.
    Varnish gave up?

I don't know if JBL screwed up with their tolerances or if it's me when I reconed it.
    I have the doubt because the first four C8R2225 I received had to be returned to JBL because they were soooo visually out of specs. (they didn't even argue with me) The one that burned saturday "looked" OK, but...

The two first I reconed were in use in a friend's 4530 for a while, and they took more abuse with a 600W amplifier, they are still alive.
    The amp I was using this weekend was 450W.

I still don't understand
    If you can get USA made 2226 they might do a better job.
    If you can remain calm in a crises, you don't understand the situation!

I am in great love with my horns too:-)

here is my horns
    Attached Images Attached Images  

more 4520

I have another pair of 4520
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information