Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: L112 and L15 for home theatre

AMACNEE

L112 and L15 for home theatre

I have a pair of L112's & a pair of L15's that I'm thinking about using in a home theatre setup. Would use the L112's as the Frt. R & L and thinking of using the L15's as the Rear surround speakers. Struggling with what to do for a center channel speaker. What are anyone's thoughts on using another L15 for that? Also what about another L112. My concern here is the stereo imaging on the L112. Would an L100 be better? I've seen suggestions on the LC2 but am not sure of how well matched it would be.

IMO, any proposed surround should be 3-way in order to match the L112 adequately. L86 would an awesome choice. L46 would be the smallest 2-way I consider, and the L15 and L56 would be crossed off the list. Whatever is chosen, that's what I'd want to use, if possible, for center also. Although 3x L112 in front would be best.

I'd have to agrre with Randy, keeping the timbre across the front would be ideal!

AMACNEE
    Keeping the timbre as close to the same as possible is important. This is why I've been looking at speakers of about the same vintage as the L112's for use as the center.

Thanks for your thoughts on the L86 & L15. I will eliminate the L15 as a consideration. I've thought about the L86 and also the L96 for the center.

I would like to put the center on it's side either above or below the LCD TV. With the mirror image set up of the L112's Right & Left (which I would like to place vertically) is there a concern with having a third L112 as the center or would either an L86 or L96 be a better choice?

Quote Originally Posted by AMACNEE View Post
    is there a concern with having a third L112 as the center or would either an L86 or L96 be a better choice?
    There's no "concern" per se. But the 3 of those models all sound identical except for the low end. The L86 has no L-pads so you may or may not consider that as an advantage.

AMACNEE
    Thanks! What is an L-pad and what does it do?

AMACNEE
    I take it that the L-pads are the adjustments.

Another question that may be naive or possibly I should post to the speaker building forum. Since I will most likely have to buy a pair of the L86's, L96's or L112's, is it possible to set up the pair to function as a single center channel speaker? If so, how would I go about this? Could it possibly be as simple as creating a Y to split the signal after it comes out of the amp?

Just use one speaker as a center. Using two would have unwanted side effects.

I take it that the L-pads are the adjustments.

Another question that may be naive or possibly I should post to the speaker building forum. Since I will most likely have to buy a pair of the L86's, L96's or L112's, is it possible to set up the pair to function as a single center channel speaker? If so, how would I go about this? Could it possibly be as simple as creating a Y to split the signal after it comes out of the amp?

AMACNEE
    Thanks to all who have taken the time to share their expertise and knowledge.

Now the challenge is finding either an L86, L96 or L112 for the center. Guessing I am going to have to buy a pair and have one sitting around.

You might get lucky enough to find a pair with one bad cabinet or only enough usable parts to make one good one. If you go with an L96, the parts are interchangeable with the L112. So you'd have spare parts.

Quote Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
    There's no "concern" per se. But the 3 of those models all sound identical except for the low end.
    Is the 034 similar enough to sound identical to the 044?
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

AMACNEE
    What is an 034 and what is an 044? Are these the numbers for either the mid range or the high frequency speaker?

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Is the 034 similar enough to sound identical to the 044?
    Yup. Same diaphragm - different magnet (and VC too I think). Essentially the only difference is power handling capability. (and cost to make)

What is an 034 and what is an 044? Are these the numbers for either the mid range or the high frequency speaker?
    Tweeters. The mids in all the above models are LE5-12.

The L96 and L112 use identical crossovers, tweeters and mids. Only difference is the boxes and woofers. The L86 uses a cheaper tweeter and woofer and has less power handling, but can still grunt with the best of them.

AMACNEE
    Quote Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
    Tweeters. The mids in all the above models are LE5-12.

The L96 and L112 use identical crossovers, tweeters and mids. Only difference is the boxes and woofers. The L86 uses a cheaper tweeter and woofer and has less power handling, but can still grunt with the best of them.
    I thought I read someplace that the L112 had a unique tweeter. Is the tweeter that is used in the L112 and the L96 the 044 or the 034?

Thread Information