Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: JBL 2440 vs TAD4001

"As for the differences between the 2404 and the 2405, I think the horns on each make a considerable sonic difference, more than just dispersion characteristics.

You know it reminds me of the differences between the 2344/2307+2308. Almost the same dispersion charateristics and diferences. What Ian has said the 2344 puts it all over the room where the 2307/2308 has a more defined and focused listenning area. As such I wonder if some of the micro dynamics gets lost or dilluted in the wide angle horns between the lower spl at your listenning position and the room reflections clouding things up a bit. On axis either combo is not the same just one more of those subtle differences we get to choose.

"What one likes is the most important factor, though!"

Yeah I would say so.

Rob

Re: Re: Re: Its funny, cause.....

Originally posted by scott fitlin
    Hey Widget

Classic Audio Reproductions uses them. They sound nice and do look good in person. I would have to do a side by side to see just how much better they are though. That's some bucks!! All the TAD is!!!!

http://www.classicaudiorepro.com/

As for the differences between the 2404 and the 2405, I think the horns on each make a considerable sonic difference, more than just dispersion characteristics.
    Yes I heard a pair of the Classic T-1s some years ago. They were very nice, but I wasn't sent to audio nirvana... I was disappointed in their resolution of micro detail. In fact it was this experience that made me hesitant to spend the ridiculous amounts of money required for the TAD drivers.

Having heard these components in multi-amped systems without the Classic Audio Reproduction's passive crossover I have become quite smitten with their performance.

As for the 2404 vs. 2405, I think the horn's loading on the diaphragm is the issue and not the dispersion characteristics or the material that the horn is made of. Remember that the 077 used a plastic wedge for the center of the horn as opposed to the solid aluminum wedge used on the 2405. There are probably those that think the two sound different, but I am not one of them.

Widget

Well

You make a good point Widget, however, when I refer to the 2405, and I have heard these in top grade nightclubs as well as studio monitors, and top flight JBL consumer speakers, the ones I hear in clubs have always been the black aluminum phase plugs! So, I already have known for years I like the 2405 pro tweeter for full range apps.

Setup properly the slot sounds good. What I do know and acknowledge is that the 2404 and 2405 do not sound the same! I seem to prefer the slot, and I would say your observation of the difference in sound being due to the differences in each horns loading on the diaphragm makes sense.

I was very interrested by reading this very good post
    I cannot afford to buy a TAD TH 4001
    THUS I'm looking for someone having the plans of this nice woodhorn
    I like to work by myself and should be very proud to built one
    thanks for your cooperation

Thread Information