Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: JBL 2440 vs TAD4001

It is a shimmerey Grey

Sorry for the poor photos.

Oldmics

Some Pink Noise Comparisons

My test mic falls off rapidly after 20K.I will soon remedy that.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hmm

Considerable difference between the TAD and the JBL!

JBL 375 Driver/Same as 2440

As you can see,the JBL falls off much earlier

Oldmics

Would you just happen to have..........

Do you have the frequency graph of the TAD 4002? Im curious to see that as well!

No,Sorry

I do have the 4003 graph if you would like to see that.

Never tested the 4002.

IMHO only minor differences in the freq response between the 4001 and 4003.That would be in the top end although both begin to roll off @ exactly 10.59K .The 4001 stretchs to a lower usable freq point,3db down @644 hz compared to the 4003 @ 754 hz.

Oldmics-Searching for a flat response to infinity!!!

Tom Loizeaux
    If you're going to require that the compression driver take you all the way to the top, then the TAD 4001 is a great choice. If, however, you're going to add a 2405, or the like, to finish off the high end, then the JBL compression driver, crossed over at 9K, would also be a great choice.
    It is true that the TAD 4001 through the correct wood horn (see Westlake) is an outstanding driver!
    Keep us posted.

Tom
    Last edited by Tom Loizeaux; 09-03-2004 at 05:08 AM.

Re: No,Sorry

Originally posted by Oldmics
    I do have the 4003 graph if you would like to see that.

Never tested the 4002.

IMHO only minor differences in the freq response between the 4001 and 4003.That would be in the top end although both begin to roll off @ exactly 10.59K .The 4001 stretchs to a lower usable freq point,3db down @644 hz compared to the 4003 @ 754 hz.

Oldmics-Searching for a flat response to infinity!!!
    OK, lets have a look at the 4003,s graph.

Oldmics, how do you like the sound of the 4003 compared to the 4001? I know engineers who swear the 4003 is the ONE! Of course, then theres everybody else who say the 4001 is the best compression driver ever made!

I have the 4002,s and I think the 4001 sounds better, although the 02 is no slouch, but I found the neodymium drivers have a different tonality than Alnico ones. One of the things I noticed different about the sound of the 4002 as compared to the 4001 was the upper end of the mids sound crisper through the alnico driver. The 4002 has a more pronounced lower mid, is similar to a degree, to the JBL 2450.

Curious to hear what you think!
    Last edited by scott fitlin; 09-02-2004 at 06:19 PM.

Hi Scott

Unfortunatly I can not answer your question regarding the differences in how the drivers sound.As silly as this will sound,I did not get a chance to listen to the 4003 drivers.I only had time enough for testing the units.

Now there will soon be a person on the forum who will be able to answer your question.That would be Mr.Widget.

This particular pair of drivers were acquired for a project the Widget is working on.He personally has 4001 drivers and will be testing and listening to these 4003 against the 4001 units.I am sure he will post his findings here,although it will be a few weeks before he is ready to do so.

I can comment about the 4002 V/S the 4001.Although I have not tested the 4002 I have extensive listening time with both drivers.I agree with your conclusion that they sound different.It may be due to different material used in construction of these drivers.

As the chart will show,there are differences between the units.I also am awaiting Mr. Widgets sonic evaluation and his preference on these esoteric noise machines.

Oldmics

Thanks!

Last year I purchsed 6 TAD 4002,s. Many told me to go with the 4001,s, but, TAD told me to use the 4002, and they are good, but, for whatever reason, they didnt do like I thought they would.

Im not saying they are bad, just I didnt care for them as much as I thought I would, and I went back to my JBL 2441,s!

I am going to try them out again, and If they work Ill use em, but If they dont give me what I want, I think Ill sell them off!

Conversely, I have heard the 4001,s on suitable horns, even last month at a studio, and the way they sound, especially in the upper frequencies pleases me! so, knowing that the 4001 and 4002 use the same diaphragm, I assume it is the magnet that makes the difference in the sound. The 4002 and JBL 2450J have a similar tonality! Of course, after reading the literature about the JBL 1500AL woofer, and how the Alnico magnet has much to do with that woofers lively and energetic sound, I feel its safe to assume this also holds true for compression drivers!

To be fair though, I run my 2441,s up to 7K, and a JBL 2404 takes over from there, and although the JBL,s have their flaws, they sound good, and they have a certain bite that gives the music a crisp sound, especially on things like brass instruments that I like! So, even if you had a horn capable of going flat out to 20K, the 2441 is not a suitable driver for that purpose! But it does have a character!

Mike Bates
    I've had TAD 2001,4001, 4002 and JBL 2440, 2441, and 2440 with 2445 diaphagm.

The 2440 has the best midrange of the bunch, the 4002 TAD has the best treble extension (without the 2" adaptor IOW used as an 1.5" driver) , and the worst overall of the bunch was the 2440 with the 2445 diaphragm followed VERY closely by the TAD 2001 (way over rated/priced IMO) - this is in a home system -

I ended up settling with the best of both worlds - a 2440 and 2405 combo before I ditched using compression drivers all together.

RIP 2009
    Originally posted by Mike Bates
    I ended up settling with the best of both worlds - a 2440 and 2405 combo before I ditched using compression drivers all together.
    What's your preference for high frequency reproduction now?

John

Originally posted by sa660
    What should I go for?
    I am in a position to choose between a pair of JBL 2440 and a pair of TAD4001 for an exchange with a single westrex electric compression drivers.
    Originally posted by Mike Bates

The 2440 has the best midrange of the bunch.....
    Re: No Contest
    Originally posted by whgeiger
    TAD TD4001 wins when mounted on an appropriate horn.
    Originally posted by paragon

I am a JBL Lover, but the TAD is the best you can buy
    (for a lot of money) !!
    Well I guess it's definitive then.

I guess you will have to decide for yourself. I would suggest you give the 4001s a listen on some 2350s, 2397s, or better yet the TH4001s.

Widget

I love my 2441/2395,s, but....

Originally posted by Mr. Widget
    Re: No Contest

Well I guess it's definitive then.

I guess you will have to decide for yourself. I would suggest you give the 4001s a listen on some 2350s, 2397s, or better yet the TH4001s.

Widget
    I have heard the 4001 on the TAD maple wood horn designed expressly for the 4001 driver, and it really does sound sooooooooo clear and smoooooooth, and NOOOOOOOO distortion, its that good, even though I do love my JBL 2441,s!

to do this driver/horn combination is a TON of money, but it is the best!

PSS AUDIO
    Good morning to all of you!

I am a 2441 listener as I have a pair of modified 4350.

I will not discuss about TAD drivers as I do not know them and from what I read and understand they will perform better than a 2440-1 as a single driver.

Let’s come back to the 2441.

I am listening at 4350 since 2 years from now and I must say that the mids were hard and noisy, unpleasant.

After setting a lot of “things” I achieved something pleasant and very smooth (ask Scott about it).

I was not 100% happy, as, from time to time, depending of the recording, I still had an arrow in my ears and this was very harmful.

I thought that the 2441 were responsible of the fact as I heard similar paining frequencies with other speakers (same an other amplifiers) still with the same recordings.

To make a long story short, we use an ON-SEMI (formerly MOTOROLA) MJ15032 transistor in the class A stage and MJ15032-33 as drivers.

I replaced the MJ15032 in the class A stage for a Sanken 4883 driver (as I have no more PNP drivers from Sanken I was unable changing the driver stage).

Guess what?

Out of 80% of pain disappeared on those recordings…

I am 100% certain that it will disappear while changing the driver stage.

What does it mean?

It means that some harmonics are responsible of the softness(this is known since decades).

This confirms that the amplifier is responsible of all our headaches, as usual.

With a “poor” amplifier the TAD will sound better as this driver is inferior to the 2441 as I think that TAD drivers rubs some harmonics.

With a “good” amplifier I think the 2441 (1K-8-9K) will outperform all TAD drivers!

Thread Information