Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: JBL 2440 vs TAD4001

sa660

JBL 2440 vs TAD4001

What should I go for?

I am in a position to choose between a pair of JBL 2440 and a pair of TAD4001 for an exchange with a single westrex electric compression drivers

I have JBL tweeters 2 off each 2402/2403/2404/2405.

I beleive TAD are very good and JBL very valuable. The 2440 are still pack in carton and new with a single spare diaphragm. The TAD are use for home use only.

Both very good I guess.

Let me know what you would pick please?

Thanks

As long as the TADs are not ugly rust buckets they win both in terms of sonic value and resale value.

A pair of decent looking TAD 4001s are very hard to get for less than $1200-$1500.

A couple of years ago there was someone on eBay selling NOS (real new old stock in sealed boxes) 2441s and he was getting $1000 per pair for them.

Now if they were factory sealed NOS 375s it would be a different story. The TADs would still sound better, but some collector would pay $2000 or more for the 375s.

Having personally recently compared freshly diaphragmed 2441s to a pair of TAD 4001s, I can't recommend the 4001s highly enough.

Widget

whgeiger

No Contest

TAD TD4001 wins when mounted on an appropriate horn.

For a matching horn and performance data, see my recent post in the Technical section.

Regards,

WHG

Maron Horonzakz
    Sonicly the TAD 4001,s win. Flat to 20k and 5 slit phazing plug with Be diaphrams give them excellent clarity.

Obsolete
    Does TAD make a 1.5" throat version that will bolt to the H9800 horn?

whgeiger

TAD Candidates

G,

Both the TAD 4002 (sans adapter) and the TD-4003 have 39mm dia. throat exits.

For horn mounting, the TD-4002 uses (4) M7 cap screws on 87.5 mm BCD and the TD-4003 uses (4) M6 cap screws on 87.4 mm BCD.

For best results, slope at the horn entry should match that at the driver exit. Use a 2” entry horn with an adapter to match both slope and diameter of both openings. In the case of sectoral horn this adapter also serves as a round to rectangular transition.

Using this tack both the TD-2001 and TD-2002 (25.4mm throat dia.) become candidates for use with a 1.5” dia. entry horn.

Regards,

WHG

sa660

TAD4001

It looks like if for the sound nirvana quest TAD would be better.
    But I am a fan of JBL and own several JBL drivers like 2441, 2450 and was hoping that the JBL 2440 had some good performance for the midrange rather than a flat response up to 20khz.

Another person suggested to use the JBL for mid and a high frequency tweeter rather than using the single TAD 4001?

for example JBL 2440+2403 would be better than the TAD4001 with the proper horns

whgeiger can you please point me in the right direction for the latest post in tecnical please.

thanks for your opinions

Originally posted by Giskard
    Does TAD make a 1.5" throat version that will bolt to the H9800 horn?
    Funny you should ask. I've ordered a pair of 4003s. I hope to have them sometime next week. As WHG points out it is a 1.5" exit driver. Like the 435Be it uses Neodymium to keep weight down. Unlike the 435Be it uses a 4" diaphragm. The 4001 and 4002 both share a 4" diaphragm, but the 4003 is a complete redesign were they used a new method of VC attachment to keep moving mass down to a minimum. This, combined with a slightly different phase plug increases the UHF output of the 4003 over the 4001 or 4002.

Back to your question, I do intend to try them together. I doubt the bolt pattern will be the same, but I will rig it.

WHG,

The slope issue will be different here as the throat of the H9800 is perfectly round at 1.5". It smoothly blends from a circular to rectangular section. Here is a side section from the Project May.

Widget
    Attached Images Attached Images  

SA660,

Take a look at this excerpt from JBL Technical Note Volume 1, number 8, page 3.

This compares the 2440, 2441, and the TAD 4001 all on a JBL 2350 horn. It is clear the TAD has the flattest mid-range as well as being the most extended. In addition the graph does not show how the Beryllium diaphragm allows the 4001 to render better micro detail.

I love JBL too, but in the quest of ultimate quality... besides the 4001 is a 2440 descendant in design and was designed by a former JBL designer, Bart Locanthi.

Widget

sa660

Mr widget graph

This show that with the proper correction in the crossover you should be able to flaten the peek of the TAD4001 and get the extend reponse flat.
    OR attenuate the 2441 before the roll off to obtain a flater response.

I would love to see other JBL 2" driver like the 2450 and 2445/6 on the same graph.

thanks,

whgeiger

Sectoral Horns

Quote:
    “whgeiger can you please point me in the right direction for the latest post in tecnical please”

R,

See:
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...&threadid=2955

Regards,

WHG

JBL vs TAD

JBL 24XX are good, very good, but the TAD 4001,s are better! Its the cleanest, and most coloration free compression driver you can buy!

I have heard the 4001 on JBL 2395,s as well as TAD,s maple wood horn! Very clear sounding! Also spooky holographic sound, too.

They are a bit persnickety to setup, and if somethings not quite right with your setup, youll hear it through these drivers!

Im told that the Beryllium diaphragm is responsible for the drivers extremely fast repsonse to signals, and thats why its micro-detail is so good.

The only drawback to TAD is the price. Brand new 4001,s are ridiculously expensive, and so are replacement diaphragms! However, if reliability is your concern, my buddy has six 4002,s on JBL 2395,s in a club called Stereo, and the diaphragms are the same as the 4001,s, powered by a Bryston 3B SST, three horns per channel, and they pound the shit out of this system, and in the almost two years they have been in service, not ONE single blown driver! If it can do it there, it can do it anywhere! The mids are one of the most outstanding aspects of Stereo,s system, though!

Now I guess all this TADTALK means Im gonna have to get my 4002,s out and give them a whirl!
    Last edited by scott fitlin; 09-01-2004 at 07:15 PM.

4003 on the left/4001 on the right

Todays Testing Project

paragon

TAD and JBL

Hello,

If you love JBL buy JBL, but the TAD is the better driver.
    There was a test in a speaker magazine between the
    JBL 2445 an the TAD 4001 in a coaxial 15 inch bass driver
    and the TAD goes flat to highest frequencies, while the JBL
    "oszillates" over 10 KHz.
    I am a JBL Lover, but the TAD is the best you can buy
    (for a lot of money) !!

Regards
    Eckhard

Maron Horonzakz
    Beryllium Is black On the TAD diaphrams? I thought they would be light grey. The 5 slit phazing plug is impressive.

Thread Information