Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2205H, What are it's designed uses?

slxrti

The 2205 may not have response below 40hz, but it does produce quality bass. Bass without the boom and overhang on every note.

How do I know? because I owned a pair (rolled edge). Shouldn't have sold them.

slxrti

Obsolete
    Originally posted by still4given
    The guy has some more so I might pick up at least one more.
    How many? What kind of shape? How much is he asking? I need some good cores.

Originally posted by Giskard
    How many? What kind of shape? How much is he asking? I need some good cores.
    I'll ask him. What kind of cores are you interested in? AlNiCo, Ferrite? He had a few JBLs sitting there. Two D130s for sure and at least two more 2205's. One had some repair work on the surround. He may discount that one. He said he had more speakers at home. (This was at a mini storage)

Funny, everyone on ebay seems to buying these full cabinets, yanking out the drivers to sell and then throwing away the boxes because they are too much hassle to ship.

We all buy the drivers and turn around and build new cabinets. What a weird circle.

Blessings, Terry

paragon

Smile 2205

Hello Terry,

The 2205 is a professional PA driver but also works good
    at home.
    I bought four of this in 1980 and they are still working
    without any damage.
    I´ve had a pair in an 225 Liter reflex enclosure and they
    are going down to 40 Hz (-6 dB).
    You can use them as subwoofers also.
    A pair is working in a double bandpass sub (each has his own enclosure) in the living room, going down under 30 Hz
    to sub my L90.
    The others are still in my 4530 rear loading horn.

Regards
    Eckhard

Thanks Eckhard!

I'm going to keep my eyes open for these. Seems they go for less money than some of the others and with the fabric surounds they don't suffer the same fate as the foam surround 2235.

Blessings, Terry

Thanks Eckhard!

I'm going to keep my eyes open for these. Seems they go for less money than some of the others and with the fabric surounds they don't suffer the same fate as the foam surround 2235.

Blessings, Terry
    It's true the cloth surround of the 2205 won't rot, but the spider still wears out (changes with time) and replacing a $5-$10 surround every ten to fifteen years seems a small price to pay to get a sub that will perform as well below 40 hz as it does at higher frequencies. You can get a 2205 to go below 40 Hz but it takes a box so big you could use an 18" driver and have even better performance.

If your main goal is economy, I guess I can't argue, and if you had the 2205s that is one thing, but unless he is selling them for $50 each, I bet you can do better looking elsewhere.

The 2205 and 2225 are great midbass speakers, but really aren't generally suited to subwoofer duty.

Widget

Alex Lancaster

Smile

Terry:

I installed a bunch of 2205H´s and E140´s, if it makes it easier, think of them as "disco" speakers, no deep bass, but a lot of "kick".

It appears that You are a minister, glad to have You around, now, We only need about 10 shrinks.

Alex.

Maron Horonzakz
    The early 2205 with the 4 pleated rolls worke very well in the Klipschorn (25 free air resonence) They have better definitionin the 200 Hz to 500Hz area And with out loosing anything below 35 Hz. The Khorn tweekers pay alot more for this rare woofer. Up to $ 250 each. Why JBL dropped this early cone replacement boggles my mind. The only thing that comes close is the TAD 1601A At about $ 800 each. I dont understand why TAD is charging that mutch for a JBL copy. The alnico doesnt run the cost up that high.

Originally posted by Mr. Widget
    It's true the cloth surround of the 2205 won't rot, but the spider still wears out (changes with time) and replacing a $5-$10 surround every ten to fifteen years seems a small price to pay to get a sub that will perform as well below 40 hz as it does at higher frequencies. You can get a 2205 to go below 40 Hz but it takes a box so big you could use an 18" driver and have even better performance.

If your main goal is economy, I guess I can't argue, and if you had the 2205s that is one thing, but unless he is selling them for $50 each, I bet you can do better looking elsewhere.

The 2205 and 2225 are great midbass speakers, but really aren't generally suited to subwoofer duty.

Widget
    Thanks Widget,

Point taken. If I need more Subwoofer I guess I could always have one of the 2205s reconed to a 2235. Seems like that quite a popular thing to do. At least I see a lot of them on ebay.

I appreciate all the time you folks are taking to explain things. I getting a better grasp on these speakers all the time.

Blessings, Terry

If I need more Subwoofer I guess I could always have one of the 2205s reconed to a 2235. Seems like that quite a popular thing to do. At least I see a lot of them on ebay.

Absolutely! That is a good point. Reconing with a 2235 kit will give you an essentially brand new 2235. You may need to remag if you are getting alnico 2205s.

Perhaps you will not miss the output below 40Hz and in that case you will be getting woofers that are a bit more efficient and quite snappy.

Widget

jbl
    I have used the 2225H in a 4507 5ft cabinet for Hi-Fi use since 1985. As with all designs, there is a trade-off. The 2225H gives very impressive response to about 35 Hz. For this size cabinet, lower response (about 5-7 Hz) can be obtained with a 2235, but the attack would suffer. With the 2425J, I don't have to increase its output as I would with the 2235 in the same size cabinet. Another consideration is the use of a DC amplifier. Here the low frequencies are passed to the speakers without being altered. To answer your question, the 2225 makes a fine HI-Fi speaker. For greater output, a 2235 in an 8ft cabinet would be a better choice than a 5ft. I can't comment on the 2205 because I never heard one. I did hear the 4430 and found it a bit shy in the mid bass compared to mine. There is no one great over all system.

Ron

Thread Information