Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CD Player Suggestions Please

The Sony CDP-D11 mentioned above is based on the transport from the top Sony car CD player, so it has good isolation and shock mounting built in. Since it only takes 1 rack space, it is very handy. Sounds good, though it is even better driving an Apogee D/A.

I use a Denon rack mount CD player. Probably designed for DJs, but it works very well. XLR's, RCA,s and SPDIF. It's a two rack space unit.

Look at this.

Not like mine but I bet it will play friendly.

Blessings, Terry

Thumbs up cd player

hi,
    do you know linn ikemi, i think it's a very good cd player, but you can't put it in a rack.
    regards.
    Phil

Figge
    Originally posted by still4given
    I use a Denon rack mount CD player. Probably designed for DJs, but it works very well. XLR's, RCA,s and SPDIF. It's a two rack space unit.

Look at this.

Not like mine but I bet it will play friendly.

Blessings, Terry

Hi i also have a Denon! a DN2000F Dual cd. had it for a while and like it. i uninstalled it a while ago to try out some other cd:s a cheap teac and a high end yamaha. i thought the yamaha was fine...until today when i reinstalled the denon. uncompareble to those others. it has very good bass. it really gets down there and boogie! the yamaha had a more muddy feeling down there.

all in all the denon is very clean! and rack mount 2x2 RU.
    and pretty cheap! and made to play nonstop music!

drawbacks? well no "stop" button. but why would i want that? keep on rockinī!
    Last edited by Figge; 09-17-2004 at 09:15 AM.

Sony CDP-D11

On Bo's suggestion, I purchased a brand new Sony CDP-D11 and have listened to one cd. My intial impression is very pos. This is a fine sounding player. As mentioned, the transport is very high quality. This unit is quite hefty for its size.

I will be posting pictures of the new racks etc. as soon as everything is installed.

PS: I bought this from a guy on Ebay (gb-jeff) who picked up several on a deal. He said they were used but mine is flawless and has all original sealed bags etc. I would swear this was never out of the box. Even the foam filler was still in the battery compartment for the remote. I paid 310.00 BIN. If your interested keep your eyes open, he may post more?

Nice to be home!

Ken

CD players

I want to get an SACD player, they sound great! Limited amount of music available is the one pitfall, as well as prices of machines, but they have come down somewhat!

I have ordered my self a toy, the AH! Njoe Tjoeb 4000. Very economical considering the league this unit is playing in, and I ordered it with all the trimmings, 24/192Khz upsampler, special feet, set of different tubes to play around with, their recommended AC power cord!

I always read consisitently good reveiws about this thing, and am curious to hear the tubes effect on CD!

Hi Scott

Keep us posted...

Sounds very interesting.

You know I will!

if you want to look at it, www.upscaleaudio.com. And theres this website with a terrific selection of music, everything you could want from classical, jazz, to rock, etc! DVD-A, SACD, 120 gram to 200 gram vinyl. www.acousticsounds.com. COMPREHENSIVE catalog!

Re: Sony CDP-D11

On Bo's suggestion, I purchased a brand new Sony CDP-D11 and have listened to one cd. My intial impression is very pos. This is a fine sounding player. As mentioned, the transport is very high quality. This unit is quite hefty for its size.
    How ironic, today I was finally going to post my impressions about a couple of the previously mentioned CD players - but I thought this was now all old news.

I own a pair of these Sony CDP D11 players. They have been superceeded by the CDP D12 model ( FWIW ) . I'd also recommend purchasing one of the following models ( if in good mechanical shape ) from the Studer/Revox series: the A-725/6/7 models , or B-225/6/7 . Compared to the Sony, the Revox/Studer has a "faster" ,"colder" presentation along with the "tightest" imaging I've heard from a CD player. The electronics in this machine made my twin 15" woofers start jumping as if a compressor had been backed-off from a set 2 to 1 ratio , down to "no" compression. This was apparent even with the Revox run through my Mackie 1202 mixer. Driving the electronic crossover directly with the variable out from the player was somewhat akin to opening the door to a working disco . All of this can be disconcerting for "easy listening" - hence the need for the "broader, warmer" fuller sound from the Sony".

I paid 310.00 BIN. If your interested keep your eyes open, he may post more? Ken
    I consider that a great price , considering the sonics, functionallity and build quality of the Sony unit . BTW, the Sony units can be quite picky about playing CDs with a certain quantity of disc "errors". ie their tolerance threshold is quite a bit lower than the typical ( I'll play anything ) player from "Best Buy". "Error Correction" on the Revox stuff from the late eighties didn't exist - the machine just plows ahead playing whatever and doing it's best to reconstruct music - though sometimes the reproduced waveform can get a might distorted. As opposed to the Sony machine which just refuses to play error filled discs/songs.

So there you have it, a typical - buy "one of each" - bit of advice .

regards <> Earl K

Sony CDP-D12

I f anyone is looking, Sony has discontinued this line - and the companion recorders, too. But, a few weeks ago, I found a cache of these at Broadcast Supply Worldwide.

http://www.bswusa.com/prod_item.asp?item=CDPD12

"Shannon" told me they had over a dozen in PHYSICAL inventory - wow, remember that business concept...? - so this may be the last of these, anywhere, since most resellers drop-ship from the manufacturer. Shannon quoted a better price over the phone, than shown on the website.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

SONY CDP-D12

If anyone is looking, Sony has discontinued this line

Yeh, I thought as much. A while back, I looked for this line of products at SONY USA & Canada - using their builtin "inscrutable" search engine. The experience reminded me of why here in Canada , Sony "Pro" long ago attained the moniker of "Soon Or Not Yet".

<> Earl K

Re: CD players

Originally posted by scott fitlin
    24/192Khz upsampler
    192 kHz sounds like a lot until you remember the actual sampling rate for Direct Stream Digital (SACD) is 2.9 million per second.

Is upsampling interpolation?

David

Re: Re: CD players

Originally posted by speakerdave
    192 kHz sounds like a lot until you remember the actual sampling rate for Direct Stream Digital (SACD) is 2.9 million per second.

Is upsampling interpolation?

David
    I agree SACD is superior still, but the Njoe Tjoeb is supposed to sound very musical, and with the upsampler quite detailed without being overly bright, according to the website, and Kevin Deal, who I spoke to, the upsampler is a true upsampler in the sense that it actually takes the 16 bit wordlength is upsamples it to 24 bits!

I want an SACD player too, but, as good as they sound, and they do sound great, not much music available that I can actually play at my buisiness!

I am keeping my two turnatables, I cant let go of vinyl, and as long as they make it, Ill play it. But I am going to refine the art of CD playback for my buisiness as well, during this winter. CD,s have become a fact of life, and while SACD is in fact phenomenal sounding, Hip Hop, House, and Reggae, R & B, and pop as well as classic disco, arent much available on SACD, yet. If more titles across a broader range of music does become available, Ill jump right into SACD! But for now, I must replace my Dual DJ CD player, I replace them every two years, and Im also adding the Technics SLDZ digital CD turntable to my console in between the two turntables!

The Ah! Njoe Tjoeb is not for DJing, but is for just when I want to play something special, and make the CD really stand out! Think Marvin Gaye, or something really worth hearing, and hearing well!

www.upscaleaudio.com
    Last edited by scott fitlin; 09-28-2004 at 10:44 PM.

All SACD players will play the old kind also. It's a simple matter to find one whose "Redbook" CD playing you like as well, and then one is ready for the SACD releases as they come, which they are doing at an increasing rate.

I'm not particularly worried about you, because you can probably buy one any time you like, but the way you refer to the SACD part of the market you seem to be implying that a SACD player is limiting because there are relatively fewer titles in that format than the old format, but the truth is just the opposite.

Anyone who buys a new DVD or CD player that cannot play SACD is unnecessarily limiting himself to a part of the digital technology that, though still widespread, is demonstrably inferior. The great thing is that Super Audio CD players can play regular CD's as well. They are available in all price ranges--I have seen them for as little as $150. You do not have to keep two players or give up the old format while the new one is developing market share. You can have both formats permanently in one machine and never need to discard the CD's you already own. In fact you can continue to buy new CD's in the old format as long as they are available. if you wish. In the mean time you will be able to play the new releases on SACD that you want and experience the digital medium that CD wanted to be in the first place but could not because of the clash of technological limitation and marketing considerations. That day, now nearly 30 years ago, is past and there really is no point in sticking with the old system for new recordings except entropic commitment to outdated recording and playback equipment. And recordings that were originally analogue can be very favorably remastered to SACD. I have heard analogue recordings remastered in both SACD and the older extra-effort formats like JVC's XRCD and gold surfaced disks, etc. The improvement is not subtle at all. Anyone can hear it.

If you think about the history of audio formats about thirty years plus or minus ten has been a typical life span. Going back about thirty years from the mid 80's to the mid 50's the LP finally nailed the coffin lid on the 78 and a slightly longer period earlier the flat disc displaced the cylinder.

I can remember my Aunt Edna in the late fifties and her cabinet full of 78's. She refused to buy a new turntable that wouldn't grind the vinyl away from an LP, and besides the music she wanted was on the 78's. Well, that was her choice, but the superiority of the LP was obvious and its displacement of the 78 was inevitable.

You, Scott, probably already know all this (except the part about my Aunt Edna), but a lot of people may not, so I'm just trying to clarify. Any player equipped to play SACD's can also play the regular old format CD. You do not have to give up the old format to enjoy the benefits of SACD so it is not necessary to limit yourself to the outdated technology in order to continue to use your existing CD library.

Regards,

David

Hey David,

You make some good points about the SACD but doesn't it also require at least a 5.1 setup to really get the benefit of the SACD? I built a "Listening Room" here at Universal Music Group, specifically for the purpose of the development of the SACD format. I must admit that music that is mastered properly for this system sounds amazing, but much of the time, good ol' stereo still sounds more real and pleasant to my ears.

Like you said, the SACD will still play great stereo CD's as well, but I think you have to upgrade you system in order to really take advantage of the SACD player.

Blessings, Terry

Thread Information