Thread: Joe Bonamassa on PBS in London

Joe Bonamassa on PBS in London

It's on now if anyone is interested. From 2009.

EDIT: Sorry, SF Bay Area channel 9 and 54 PBS. It will show a few more times this month. Awesome Guitarist!

His new album "Dust Bowl" debuts in eleven days (March 22, 2011) but you can download a free MP3 of the title cut at his website: http://jbonamassa.com/

It's a great track!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    His new album "Dust Bowl" debuts in eleven days (March 22, 2011) but you can download a free MP3 of the title cut at his website: http://jbonamassa.com/

It's a great track!
    Thanks, I'm going to go check it out.
    He's such an amazing guitarist and I can't believe I don't have any of his albums! Guess I'm going shopping tomorrow! Looks like this concert in London is available in blu ray.

I've been hearing about him on The Gear Page for awhile and I finally saw him on one of those Guitar Center shows on Direct TV.

Got the new CD ($9.99 at BB). Very impressive guitar but I sorta kinda wish the rest of it was more like the title cut. Heavy drum track and most of the tunes could be from Free reunion, NTTAWWT. I guess I was looking for something else. Saw it debuted at #4 on the British blues chart. Guess they're still Free fans there. I suppose I've moved on from my fave group in high-school forty-years ago.

I'll give it a few more chances. I've had it playing in the car during my commute for almost a week now.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Funny you should post that. I was just going out to get it.

I'm listening to it inside (not in the car) now and it's very well done. The "Free" reference wasn't a slam and in fact I notice—now that I've had a chance to review the liner notes—one song is "Heartbreaker" by Paul Rodgers (though I don't recognize it as the old Free version though the lyrics are the same). I guess it wasn't my imagination. And the vocals are done by Glenn Hughes so it sounds just like Paul Rodgers singing it.

It's not the type of music I can get away with listening to in the house very often but my wife and daughter are at a movie so I get to rock!

The drums (mostly Anton Fig) aren't beating my up nearly as much on the 4345s as they were in the car. Joe has a great voice, in addition to his guitar virtuosity. Black Lung Heartache is another good cut in the Dust Bowl style. John Hiatt contributes a song and vocals, as does Vince Gill.

There should be some sort of a law prohibiting using police-siren sounds in a CD someone might play in their car for the first time (track 9). Sheesh!

Dust Bowl

I have to listen to it a lot more and the sirens caught me off guard too! I turned to my daughter in the pass seat and asked if she see's where the siren is coming from!

The song Dust Bowl is killer and there's one song that has drumming like in Rock Candy lol. A few just sound like std blues type songs and one is clearly in the country vein. Obviously I need to listen to it more.

I bought the blu-ray of the Royal Albert Hall Concert and it is very impressive, and quite long at a little over 2hr.

Quote Originally Posted by maxwedge View Post
    . . . and one is clearly in the country vein.
    That would be the one with Vince Gill. Does seem fairly out of place.

...and one is clearly in the country vein.
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    That would be the one with Vince Gill. Does seem fairly out of place.
    But you know what, it really shows the range of styles that he can play. I listen to him play and hear many different genres in his soloing, from blues, rock, jazz, funk and now country. He'll be playing a blazing rock/blues solo and shove something in there using a jazz type scale. Really cool.

Out of place? I guess. I'm still trying to figure him out.
    I haven't listened to the album since in the car and will play it more tomorrow.

"...such an amazing guitarist and I can't believe I don't have any of his albums! ..."
    I have admit to never hearing the name before. Yes, I stumbled onto the show. Shows tremendous confidence in his playing.

Also, just love that hall. I have to get there someday and take in a heavy dose of music culture that is oozing from those walls.
    David F
    San Jose

Quote Originally Posted by DavidF View Post
    I have admit to never hearing the name before. Yes, I stumbled onto the show. Shows tremendous confidence in his playing.

Also, just love that hall. I have to get there someday and take in a heavy dose of music culture that is oozing from those walls.
    Hi David, you should try out the dvd of that show because there's a lot more to it.
    He's a funny guy but quite intelligent and modest, and I think he's only about 33 years old. A lot more years in those fingers!

I'm sittin' here listening to Stevie Ray Von and have to say, there is no best!

watched a youtube clip of the RAH version of Further on Up the Road together with EC.....you gotta be doing something right when The Captain smiles at you after you finish the song!

Thread Information