Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Anything bad to say against Mackenzie recone kits?

Quote Originally Posted by Lee in Montreal View Post
    I am curious as why JBL would recommend an aftermarket supplier such as MWA. Any reason for recommending an aftermarket source? And any reason to pick them over any other aftermarket parts supplier? Just curious.

TIA

Lee
    Hi Lee,

I can only guess, that for some (old....) drivers that are not supported now, it would be good suggestion (as a hand of 'salvage') what to do from 'internal or external sources'. The worse thing would be to say to the faithful customer that "there is no help" (Discontinued, Not Available any More.....etc)

Regards
    ivica

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by ivica View Post
    I have quite good relations with MWA, but , as can be seen from their catalog, they are offering 4-inch (JBL compatible size) VC-edge wound with copper wire, not aluminum, as 2226 original VC is, so its weight would more ( I guess about 20gr more then aluminum). May be for lager amount something can be arranged, but for couple of pieces , I am not sure. Their cones, spiders, suspensions seems OK for not too heavy use, and VC-s are very,very good too.
    Well, I think that is going to be an ongoing problem. I don't think there is alot of money in making so many different "specialized" kits like JBL had. I guess we'll see what shakes out.

I can only guess, that for some (old....) drivers that are not supported now, it would be good suggestion (as a hand of 'salvage') what to do from 'internal or external sources'. The worse thing would be to say to the faithful customer that "there is no help" (Discontinued...etc)
    I think that sums it up, plus they are a bit more local to JBL.

The bottom line though is whether or not there is any money in it. Obviously the transducer types that are heavily subjected to use are going to get more attention. Consumer systems could be the biggest problem because of the "tight" passive filters G.T. and friends create. An off spec recone kit could jack the whole system up.

With respect to the pricing of recone kits from JBL, even people at JBL were concluding that prices were getting out of hand.

I see that 3-inch Be diaphragm has gone up a few hundred bucks... $972.00 D8R2435 And that isn't the aquaplased version that goes in the 435Be.

Oh well, times change...

http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Tra...Parts List.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    Well, I think that is going to be an ongoing problem. I don't think there is alot of money in making so many different "specialized" kits like JBL had. I guess we'll see what shakes out.

............... Consumer systems could be the biggest problem because of the "tight" passive filters G.T. and friends create. An off spec recone kit could jack the whole system up.
    I agree, with You, as I have sent to the forum my measurements :

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...l=1#post325100

with JBL 2202 ( C8R2202 ) and MacKenzie 2202 kits applied to the same basket. It can be easily visible that at over 2kHz they have quite different behaviors.

Regards
    Ivica

Obsolete
    I agree, with You, as I have sent to the forum my measurements :

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...l=1#post325100

with JBL 2202 ( C8R2202 ) and MacKenzie 2202 kits applied to the same basket. It can be easily visible that at over 2kHz they have quite different behaviors.

Regards
    Ivica
    And I have no idea what the thought process is with respect to aftermarket parts and their creators. Are they trying to consolidate parts? Are they trying to build a better mousetrap? Are they incapable of building an exact replacement? Do they even think that deep? I just don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    And I have no idea what the thought process is with respect to aftermarket parts and their creators. Are they trying to consolidate parts? Are they trying to build a better mousetrap? Are they incapable of building an exact replacement? Do they even think that deep? I just don't know.
    I believe the only importance is :at the first glance "to MIMIC" anything else is of 'less importance'.

Regards
    ivica

I would like to add "to MIMIC" with the lowest possible price

I believe the only importance is :at the first glance "to MIMIC" anything else is of 'less importance'.

Regards
    ivica

Quote Originally Posted by zeljkor View Post
    I would like to add "to MIMIC" with the lowest possible price
    Price id not a concern in the case of, say, a 2225 or 2226 recone kit. It costs the same price to get correct components. Pretty sure it cost under $20.00 for parts to make a recone kit.

Price id not a concern in the case of, say, a 2225 or 2226 recone kit. It costs the same price to get correct components. Pretty sure it cost under $20.00 for parts to make a recone kit.
    Anyhow your experience with the 2226 Mackenzie kits would be 'reference experience' for the most of us.
    Waiting for more technical info,
    Regards
    ivica

Hello.

I tried the Mackenzie 2226H recone kit last year. All I can say is that they delivers the performance!! I´m using them in some Altec horns, powered by my 4 watt OTL amp. Great attack!

Regards
    Martin

How about a kit from these guys :

http://www.simplyspeakers.com/jbl-re...JBL2245-8.html

I am looking for only matching the low frequency range (below 100 Hz). Should I take the risk?

Lee, did you ever get those kits, measured or installed?
    When faced with another JBL find, Good mech986 says , JBL Fan mech986 says

Quote Originally Posted by mech986 View Post
    Lee, did you ever get those kits, measured or installed?
    Received. Installed. And tested for a couple of years. Not measured.

Received. Installed. And tested for a couple of years. Not measured.

How do they compare to the JBL kits?

Were an OES supplier of goods to EV for a period, definitely some of their best (and rarest, foam surrond) pro 12"s so they must know something

Specs required

From their homepage:

McKenzie guarantees all its replacement kits to be accurate to the original manufacturers’ specifications and come with full replacement warranty.

They should specify the TS params and a few others with tolerances (+/-), as well as SPL and impedance vs. freuency.

Ruediger

Thread Information