Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Anything bad to say against Mackenzie recone kits?

Quote Originally Posted by winslow View Post
    Well if I had listened to my heart when I built this car, I would have gone straight to the 2118s off of the bat. But I was trying to find some of that secret sauce that I love with the JBLs elsewhere...and while somethings were nice and good, it just wasn't the same. And yeah the 2118s aren't spring chickens in their own right, but I doubt they would be going anywhere for a very very long time. If I could get just a little more lowend from them, it would be the perfect speaker for a car IMO.

And yeah, I kick myself everyday for sending those guys to their deaths. I didn't realize then one of the beauties of JBL cone drivers- that you could have several different drivers using the same basket/motor. And maybe that is what I need now...some frankenstein speaker.

Anyways, edgewound, be looking for a PM from me asking for some help. I know like 3 JBL models that I like and maybe you could find me something more better.
    2118 for car would benefit from a weather treatment because of the thin cone. The ever-changing car environment is pretty brutal on paper cone drivers.

I'll help you however I can..and if you find dead, undamaged JBL Pro baskets/cores, there is bound to be a home for them somewhere other than a dumpster.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

DCR

This discussion about quality of aftermarket recone kits has been interesting. Their drive units have been probably best you can buy, even their crossover design and ability to make properly damped cabinets has been 10 to 20 years behind best loudspeaker manufacturers in England.

One thing about JBL drive units has puzzled be for quite long time. I have measured DCR:s of several LE5 and LE25 units. DCR values seems to differ most often 10-15%. DCR:s of Kef drive units of same vintage do differ considerably less, but inductance figures of Kef units seems to vary often more than 100%... I measured few days ago 5 LE5:s and their inductance figures were quite close to ea other... 0,23 - 0,42 mH.

I have been adviced that measuring inductance of non moving VC is not proper way to check inductance. This is probably true, as I have not noticed any ill effects when using T52 tweeters with 0,26mH and 0,50mH in my Cantatas.

This brings me to my actual question... How it is possible to wind voice coils with so different DCR:s. I suppose that in 70´s most respected manufacturers of drive units used automatic VC winding machines. It is reasonable to expect that correct number of turns were wound on VC formers. If so... only reasonable explanation for this situation will be that wire or ribbon used for VC:s was not consistent in dia... or material used for VC:s was not consistent...

Does anybody have any information about this issue and are more recent OEM and Aftermarket recone kits any better on this respect?

Best Regards

Kimmo

Reviving an old thread

I purchased four 2226 woofers, with two needing recones. My first choice of recone kit would be some New Old Stock (not some new "Hecho in Mexico" with the "Made in America" price tag). Mackenzie cone kits are damn tempting at $72 a pop, all pre-assembled. I sent them a question about if they have Thiele/Small data of their recone kits compared with original cones. Will I get a reply? I doubt it. But it will probably not keep me for spending moiney on at least a pair of recone kits for the sake of testing and measuring.

$200+ for a recone kit from JBL makes no sense to me for such basic parts.

Lee

After almost two years I think it's up to you to take the plunge and let us know.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee in Montreal View Post
    I purchased four 2226 woofers, with two needing recones. My first choice of recone kit would be some New Old Stock (not some new "Hecho in Mexico" with the "Made in America" price tag). Mackenzie cone kits are damn tempting at $72 a pop, all pre-assembled. I sent them a question about if they have Thiele/Small data of their recone kits compared with original cones. Will I get a reply? I doubt it. But it will probably not keep me for spending moiney on at least a pair of recone kits for the sake of testing and measuring.

$200+ for a recone kit from JBL makes no sense to me for such basic parts.

Lee
    Hello Lee in Montreal,

I do not want to discourage your trial to recone 2226 with some AF kits, but here you can read about mine experience with MAcKenzie kits for 2202:

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...l=1#post325100

You have to pay your attention on the VC wire, as in 2226 original VC is aluminum wire, what is not AF usual solution.
    About the cone material I have no information, but may be some skillful forum member can help, or give good suggestion.

If VC in yours 2226 are not broken, may be you can change the cones "ONLY". Good luck.

Regards
    Ivica

Well. I just purchased two 2226 kits. I will be able to physically compare the Mckenzie and JBL components. At $72 per kit, I have nothing to loose. In the worst case scenario, I might even end up richer in experience... ;-)

http://reconekits.com/jbl2226reconekit.aspx "This recone kit is made with original cone and spider the voice coil is edge wound high temp. Aluminum on fiberglass forms. This kit will restore your Jbl 2226 to original quality."

http://reconekits.com/jbl2226reconekit.aspx "This recone kit is made with original cone and spider the voice coil is edge wound high temp. Aluminum on fiberglass forms. This kit will restore your Jbl 2226 to original ality."
    This is GOOD news, aluminum edge wire Voice coil.....

As I have no good experience about the VC position, You have to carefully measure, but unfortunate almost impossible to correct if not in the middle of the magnetic field .

Regards
    Ivica

Well. I just purchased two 2226 kits. I will be able to physically compare the Mckenzie and JBL components. At $72 per kit, I have nothing to loose. In the worst case scenario, I might even end up richer in experience... ;-)
    Hi Lee,

Any news and experience with McKenzies 2226 recone kits? I have two 2226 frames to be re-coned, so your experience would be well-come.

Regards
    Ivica

Hi Ivica

The kits only shipped two days ago.

PS I contacted Mckenzie a week ago in regard of getting the new T/S specs with their cones installed. It took 5 days to get a reply (actually an hour after I placed my order) and the info was exactly the same as from JBL's litterature. I replied by mentionning the specs seemed to be from JBL's book, and enquired if they had any measurement/calculation with THEIR cones installed. I never received a reply.

What I don't understand is why recone companies don't spend a few hours measuring a stock JBL cone, pick components with the exact same specs, build kits and advertize them with T/S specs. It wouldn't be too difficult. Even a mildly equiped amateur could measure the spiders and cone suspension elasticity, weight, strength. Measure the coils and find similar components from many manufacturers. I think that humans are overall too lazy and/or too dumb. ;-)

YEP!
    XPL 200's w DX1, XPL 160's, XPL 140's, L7's, L5's, L3's, L1's Homemade L Center, 4412's, 4406, L60T's, L20T's

Hi Ivica

The kits only shipped two days ago.

PS I contacted Mckenzie a week ago in regard of getting the new T/S specs with their cones installed. It took 5 days to get a reply (actually an hour after I placed my order) and the info was exactly the same as from JBL's literature. I replied by mentioning the specs seemed to be from JBL's book, and enquired if they had any measurement/calculation with THEIR cones installed. I never received a reply.

What I don't understand is why recone companies don't spend a few hours measuring a stock JBL cone, pick components with the exact same specs, build kits and advertize them with T/S specs. It wouldn't be too difficult. Even a mildly equipped amateur could measure the spiders and cone suspension elasticity, weight, strength. Measure the coils and find similar components from many manufacturers. I think that humans are overall too lazy and/or too dumb. ;-)
    Hi Lee,

Almost the same experience years ago I had with 2202 kits, and that is the reason I have asked You, as You have now two kits for 2226 at home, so I believe that You can do some measurements and show us the results. Looking from the photos (Mckenzie have put in their advertizement) the kit is looking good, but out-look is one thing, and the "whole story" is another thing.
    Anxiously waiting for your measurement,

Regrads
    Ivica

Obsolete
    JBL is recommending http://mwaspeakerparts.com/

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    JBL is recommending http://mwaspeakerparts.com/
    Hi 4313B,

Thanks for the suggestion about MWA. I have quite good relations with MWA, but , as can be seen from their catalog, they are offering 4-inch (JBL compatible size) VC-edge wound with copper wire, not aluminum, as 2226 original VC is, so its weight would more ( I guess about 20gr more then aluminum). May be for lager amount something can be arranged, but for couple of pieces , I am not sure. Their cones, spiders, suspensions seems OK for not too heavy use, and VC-s are very,very good too.

Regards
    ivica

I am curious as why JBL would recommend an aftermarket supplier such as MWA. Any reason for recommending an aftermarket source? And any reason to pick them over any other aftermarket parts supplier? Just curious.

TIA

Lee

Thread Information