Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Anything bad to say against Mackenzie recone kits?

I look forward to your evaluation

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    I'm anxious to see how the latest 2245H kits look... I have a bunch that I ordered prior to June 2010 for 4345 refreshes and I'll compare them with these new kits.

Hopefully they work as they should!

Regards, Ron
    JBL Pro for home use!

I'm anxious to see how the latest 2245H kits look... I have a bunch that I ordered prior to June 2010 for 4345 refreshes and I'll compare them with these new kits.
    Please report when you have them. I am still looking for 2240/e155 empty baskets just to test the Mackenzie 2245 recone kits. $80 vs $300... Hmmm...

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by spkrman57 View Post
    Hopefully they work as they should!

Regards, Ron
    I received them yesterday but haven't had the time to look at them. They do say "Made in Mexico" on the label.

I also have eight from Northridge that I bought at Greg's urging before the June 2010 deadline. I'm still pretty disgusted with the whole turn of events. I'm not convinced that I'll ever get over it. It's one of those things you walk away from in thorough disgust shaking your head at the idiocy.

In all fairness, the JBL kits have changed over the years; Hawley cones, Mogami cones, a few fails from other resources tossed in there for good measure, etc.

Obsolete
    I did a physical inspection of two "Made in Mexico" kits with the "Made in U.S.A." kits and visually they are quite similar. One of the "Made in Mexico" kits has a couple discolorations on the front of the cone but I've seen similar on "Made in U.S.A." kits over the years so no change there.

I'll measure their mass when I have a minute or two. I'm on the old seven day work week for the next few months.

I did a physical inspection of two "Made in Mexico" kits with the "Made in U.S.A." kits and visually they are quite similar. One of the "Made in Mexico" kits has a couple discolorations on the front of the cone but I've seen similar on "Made in U.S.A." kits over the years so no change there.

I'll measure their mass when I have a minute or two. I'm on the old seven day work week for the next few months.
    Thanks, keep us posted!

im after a replacement cone for a 2245h and was hoping to hear peoples results here regarding the aftermarket cones. origional cone here in australia cost $450 and install another $75 so that is my reason for looking at the aftermarket as an option. unless anyone has new old stock oem cone for sale? thanks Greg

Considering the $80 cost of the Mackenzie part, which is much, much lower than what you'd pay for an original cone, perhaps it is worth giving it a try.

Lee

I had to add my 2 cents into this thread. I would love to see someone replicate the recone kits exactly as the original JBL kits. I do not mind paying JBL for the original kits if they are available.

Some say why do you want to put in a aftermarket kit? Then it no longer sounds like the original.

Well what goes in a 136A? A 2235 kit. Is it exactly the same? From what I understand it is not. What about the 122a? There is not a 122a kit any longer its a 129 if I am not mistaken. So is the 136 or the 122 still a 122 or a 136. Its not its a franken speaker.

So if some one could replicate a 122 or 136 kit exactly as the original kit I would gladly give them my hard earned money. I do not care if it says JBL or not as long as the speaker still has the orginal specs I will be very very HAPPY

Face the fact this is what it is going to come to. JBL is going to make less and less replacement parts. It must be nice to hoard kits before they stop making them. Unfortunately many of us can not do this.

Just My Thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by warpig View Post
    I had to add my 2 cents into this thread. I would love to see someone replicate the recone kits exactly as the original JBL kits. I do not mind paying JBL for the original kits if they are available.

Some say why do you want to put in a aftermarket kit? Then it no longer sounds like the original.

Well what goes in a 136A? A 2235 kit. Is it exactly the same? From what I understand it is not. What about the 122a? There is not a 122a kit any longer its a 129 if I am not mistaken. So is the 136 or the 122 still a 122 or a 136. Its not its a franken speaker.

So if some one could replicate a 122 or 136 kit exactly as the original kit I would gladly give them my hard earned money. I do not care if it says JBL or not as long as the speaker still has the orginal specs I will be very very HAPPY

Face the fact this is what it is going to come to. JBL is going to make less and less replacement parts. It must be nice to hoard kits before they stop making them. Unfortunately many of us can not do this.

Just My Thoughts
    The recone kits you mention and the kits that go into a frame as spec'd by the factory are the upgraded versions.

A D120F "kit" is no longer made because the kit to repair a D120F is the E120 recone kit which brings the model up to improved, latest specs.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Quote Originally Posted by warpig View Post
    I do not mind paying JBL for the original kits if they are available.
    They (C8R2245) are AFAIK.
    So if you don't mind paying for JBL kits, get your drivers reconed.

It must be nice to hoard kits before they stop making them. Unfortunately many of us can not do this.
    And unless they are an authorized JBL repair shop, they won't be hoarding any kits, either.

Quote Originally Posted by edgewound View Post
    The recone kits you mention and the kits that go into a frame as spec'd by the factory are the upgraded versions.

A D120F "kit" is no longer made because the kit to repair a D120F is the E120 recone kit which brings the model up to improved, latest specs.
    Well, upgraded... sure newer construction techniques, better glues and greater power handling, but in these cases, I am with warpig. Yes, the 2235H has lower distortion than the 136A or 136H, but it also has a different sound. I am not a guitarist, but many who are do prefer the sound of the older more fragile D120Fs.

I am not saying that I would rather listen to a 136A over a 2235H. However in a L300 I would want a perfect 136A and in a 4430 I would want a 2235H. If I was starting from the ground up, I'd rather have a 1500AL.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Eaulive View Post
    Altec lansing cones are now made by a third party (GPA) and people seems to be happy with them so the same thing could happen with JBL stuff.
    Difference is Bill Hanuschak (GPA Owner) bought all the tooling from the OKC plant when they closed so they are essentially Altec.The cones however maybe slightly different, but I had 2 pair of 416B's re-coned by Bill and they measured at factory spec when I got them back, in fact they are T/S matched.And sound great.I needed them matched for a dual woofer box configuration.

Unless someone bought the tooling from the JBL plant in Northridge,I don't see the same thing happening with JBL ! UNFORTUNATELY !!
    "James B. Lansing" = Lansing Manufacturing ~ Altec Lansing ~ JBL

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Well, upgraded... sure newer construction techniques, better glues and greater power handling, but in these cases, I am with warpig. Yes, the 2235H has lower distortion than the 136A or 136H, but it also has a different sound. I am not a guitarist, but many who are do prefer the sound of the older more fragile D120Fs.

I am not saying that I would rather listen to a 136A over a 2235H. However in a L300 I would want a perfect 136A and in a 4430 I would want a 2235H. If I was starting from the ground up, I'd rather have a 1500AL.

Widget
    The 1500AL is factory service only and since there isn't a factory anymore...

In the past we only had to keep recone kits in reserve, now we have to keep whole drivers in reserve. And they're really, really expensive!

The 1500AL is factory service only and since there isn't a factory anymore...
    Ah, come on. MacKenzie will build you a cone kit!

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffW View Post
    Ah, come on. MacKenzie will build you a cone kit!
    You know, you might get your other driver one day. There's another reorg and firings coming up and there's a 50-50 chance that the right people will get fired instead of the wrong people. If the right people get fired, you'll experience stereo, if the wrong people get fired it's mono for you dude.

Thread Information