Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Anything bad to say against Mackenzie recone kits?

Quote Originally Posted by Eaulive View Post
    I emailed them today with questions about 2225 kits.
    Somewhere in their website they sell the same VC for 2225 and E140... not a good sign.

Before starting to beyatch I'm gonna wait for what they have to say, they maybe have the best intentions and are willing to learn to provide the best product possible, who knows.
    Well it's been more than a month now and have no reply from them.

MacKenzie good by me!

Yet then again, you-all tend to be a bit more fussy......

I was in need of a 2245H cone and the JBL price was a bit much at over $300!

Wanting a preassembled unit like JBL sends, I asked MacKenzie if he would make one up as they were not listed on his site.

Slam-dunk, the well packed kit was at my door in less than a week, looks & sounds just like a JBL to me!

All for just under $100 to boot.....

Would I do it again? You bet!

Cheers,
    VSN

What about MWA?

http://mwaspeakerparts.com/index.html
    But you have to be a business to buy or even look at their catalog.

This 2241 on ebay is said to be MWA...item 110638940031

Found an older thread with some info
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...or-on-re-cones

Quote Originally Posted by maxwedge View Post
    http://mwaspeakerparts.com/index.html
    But you have to be a business to buy or even look at their catalog.

This 2241 on ebay is said to be MWA...item 110638940031
    As far as I can see no edgewound aluminum ribbon there!

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by VSN View Post
    Yet then again, you-all tend to be a bit more fussy......
    Well, yeah!

What's the point of buying a nice expensive core with great engineering behind it only to put some second rate software in it.
    I was in need of a 2245H cone and the JBL price was a bit much at over $300!
    Well that part is absurd! They act as if the effing things were still made in Northridge by people making a decent wage for a decent day's work... assholes...

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    Well, yeah!

Well that part is absurd! They act as if the effing things were still made in Northridge by people making a decent wage for a decent day's work... assholes...

They are paying $15.00 a day labor and the price went up .... Don't figure

Maron Horonzakz
    The $15 a day labor does not include overhead..(CEO)

Then justify it

It's all about a profit margin!

You all have seen it before; a current model kit is cheap compared to a kit no longer in production. So JBL waits to make a “special” run of these outdated kits and charges extra for their effort.

A 035TiA diaphragm kit costs 3X of a current model 052Ti? It sure ain't about material, they simply are looking to cover the expense of the special set up and this price increase is what opens the door to competition.

Now this is where the thread started, can a USA vendor accurately fill the need?

A big point often over looked on this forum and what has been in debate in this thread is the basic fact that a collector uses a different set of standards over a hobbyist or consumer; there is a BIG difference and neither side is right!

I think EVERYONE would rather use OEM parts, that is not the topic.

Those just entering the hobby or are looking to buy refurbished gear rarely embody the same standards when it comes to justifying the added cost of OEM parts, even though they might fully understand the concern.

So in choosing an OEM kit over a quality aftermarket kit, one really has to define what are the priorities and the criteria used for satisfaction? When it comes to parting with hard earned discretionary income, not everyone will agree.

As I refurbish, modify and upgrade vintage stereo systems, my customers rarely are collectors so price is always an issue when it comes to making a sale. If I can get a JBL kit on the "black market" for a good price, I do!

IMHO, I do not think we as a group should get indignant with one another if a particular point of view is not equally embraced, it only sours the original topic……..

Cheers,
    VSN

IMHO, I do not think we as a group should get indignant with one another if a particular point of view is not equally embraced, it only sours the original topic……..

Cheers,
    VSN
    Sadly, typical internet behavior. Some use forums as their social life. Understandable in this age of isolation, but sad. Factor in the lack of immediate contextual clues when conversation is not in person, or even by voice, and misunderstanding is rampant.

The whole thing could be avoided by going back to please and thank you, but what passed for rudeness years ago is deemed acceptable behavior today. So that is not going to happen. The two things a reasonable and polite person (read: Old School) needs on the web are a thick skin and the ability to ignore rude jerks.

Clark
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Obsolete
    Clark, what are you going on about?

Why are you guys even messing around with JBL components? They're expensive. How about simply using more affordable components in the first place.

Why are you guys even messing around with JBL components? They're expensive. How about simply using more affordable components in the first place.
    I made the exact same point a while back. Somebody was grousing about the cost of a 2245H recone kit and I pointed out that Parts Express had 40 some odd 18" drivers listed. Instead of bastardizing a JBL core, just buy a BRAND NEW Brand X driver and go to town! Why anybody would want a semi-JBL retread instead of a BRAND NEW Brand X is beyond me.

The part that kills me is stuff like This Thread. Post after post, just can't understand.

Then it gets suddenly and dramatically resolved in

Post #29

Quote Originally Posted by JeffW View Post
    Instead of bastardizing a JBL core, just buy a BRAND NEW Brand X driver and go to town! Why anybody would want a semi-JBL retread instead of a BRAND NEW Brand X is beyond me.

Clark, what are you going on about?

Sorry, I took VSN's lament of internet "sour"(ness) to be evidence of one remaining soul who thinks forums can be a place of agreeable decorum. Considering this impossible at this point, I gave what little advice I could. I wasn't calling anyone in particular a rude jerk. Not that they are hard to find at Head-Fi.

I plan to use factory parts, or what passes for them these days, to get two 2245H cores reconed. I must be old school all around.
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post
    I plan to use factory parts, or what passes for them these days, to get two 2245H cores reconed. I must be old school all around.
    I'm anxious to see how the latest 2245H kits look... I have a bunch that I ordered prior to June 2010 for 4345 refreshes and I'll compare them with these new kits.

Thread Information